Thursday 29 August 2013

Lanesborough Visit


I have just returned from a very brief, though interesting, visit to County Fermanagh.

I stayed at Leander Lodge, beside Killyfole Lough, which, incidentally is lovely bed & breakfast accommodation.

Jim and Isobel are very hospitable and the first thing Jim did was to offer me tea and a biscuit.

They were having a barbecue for friends in the evening and kindly invited me to come along.


This morning, having checked out, I drove into Newtownbutler, still in County Fermanagh. The former Lanesborough Arms hotel (above) is in a sorry state.

Thence I motored across the border to County Cavan, where I met some acquaintances at Lanesborough Lodge.

The owner showed us round the grounds, including Quivvy Chapel, the ruinous school-house and the ruined mansion itself.

I have written about Lanesborough Lodge and the family already.

From Lanesborough Lodge, we motored the short distance to Cloverhill House (above), originally built in 1758.


Having had a good look round the derelict and roofless house, I bade the others farewell and drove home.

No comments :