Monday, 29 October 2018

Lismore House

THE NESBITTS WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY CAVAN, WITH 9,735 ACRES

ANDREW NESBITT, of Brenter (presumed to be son of Thomas Nesbitt, of Newbottle, and grandson of George Nesbitt, who died in 1590), assignee from the Earl of Annandale, of the estates of Brenter and Malmusock, County Donegal, was father of 

ANDREW NESBITT, who served in the army of CHARLES I in Ireland; whose eldest son,

THOMAS NESBITT (c1672-1750), of Grangemore, County Westmeath, High Sheriff of County Cavan, 1720, MP for Cavan Borough, 1715-50, married twice, and was father of

COSBY NESBITT (1718-91), of Lismore, MP for Cavan Borough, 1750-68, High Sheriff of County Cavan, 1764, who succeeded to the Cavan estates on the death of his father.

His eldest son, 

COLONEL THOMAS NESBITT (c1744-1820), of Lismore, MP for Cavan Borough, 1768-1800, High Sheriff of County Cavan, 1769, married and was father of

COSBY NESBITT JP DL, High Sheriff of County Cavan, 1798, Major, Cavan Militia, whose second son, 

ALEXANDER NESBITT DL (1817-86), of Lismore House, County Cavan, and Old Lands, Sussex, High Sheriff of County Cavan, 1862, died without issue and was succeeded by his sister, 

MARY ANNE BURROWES, who espoused, in 1854, James Edward Burrowes, and had issue, an only child,

THOMAS COSBY BURROWES JP DL (1856-1925), of Lismore, County Cavan, High Sheriff of County Cavan, 1888, married, in 1885, Anna Frances Maxwell, sister of 10th Baron Farnham, and had issue,
Eleanor Mary (1886-1962);
Rosamund Charlotte, b 1891.
Rosamund Charlotte Cosby Burrowes, of Lismore, married, in 1922, Major Shuckburgh Upton Lucas-Clements in 1922, and had issue,
Elizabeth Anne, b 1922;
Thomas, b 1925;
John, b 1930;
Robert Henry, b 1930.

LISMORE HOUSE, near Crossdoney, County Cavan, was built ca 1730.

The main block was of two storeys over a high basement, with a pediment breakfront centre and a widely spaced Venetian window in both storeys.

There were two bays either side of the centre, overlapping tower wings of one storey each.

The house had a solid roof parapet with urns and oculi in the upper storey of the office wings.

Lismore passed to the Lucas-Clements family through the marriage of Miss R Burrowes to Major Shuckburgh Lucas-Clements in 1922.

Having stood empty for many years, the house fell into ruin and was demolished ca 1952, with the exception of a tower wing.

The estate is three miles from the Farnham estate and hotel.


The office wings were used as farm buildings and appear to have been converted to modern living accomodation.

The family moved to the former agent's house.

First published in May, 2012.

Thursday, 25 October 2018

Cabra Castle

THE PRATTS WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY CAVAN, WITH 8,095 ACRES

The branch of the family of which we are treating was settled in Leicestershire in 1641, when three brothers, Joseph, Benjamin and John Pratt, migrated thence; Joseph and Benjamin to Ireland, John to Jamaica.

Joseph and Benjamin obtained lands in County Meath from CROMWELL, which they divided between them.

The elder was ancestor of the PRATTS of Cabra; the younger, of the WINTERS of Agher.

JOSEPH PRATT, High Sheriff of County Meath, 1698, married firstly, Frances, sister and heir of Colonel Thomas Cooch, of Cabra Castle, County Cavan, and Covoaddy [sic], County Donegal; and secondly, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Audley Mervyn, and widow of Nathaniel Poole, and had issue,
Joseph, died young;
Benjamin (Dr), Provost, Trinity College, Dublin;
John, a Lord of the Treasury;
Thomas, dsp;
MERVYN;
Margaret.
The youngest son,

MERVYN PRATT (1687-1751), MP for Cavan County, 1715, High Sheriff of County Cavan, 1722, wedded, in 1704, Elizabeth, daughter of the Hon Thomas Coote, of Cootehill in that county, and sister of the Earl of Bellamont, and had issue,
JOSEPH, his heir;
Elizabeth; Anne; Frances.
Mr Pratt was succeeded by his eldest son,

THE REV JOSEPH PRATT, of Cabra, who espoused Elizabeth, daughter of Knightley Chetwood, of Woodbrook, Queen's County, and had issue,
Mervyn, died 1798;
JOSEPH, of whom presently;
James Butler;
Elizabeth; Ann.
The second son,

THE REV JOSEPH PRATT (1738-1831), of Cabra Castle, wedded, in 1772, Sarah Morres, daughter of Harvey, 1st Viscount Mountmorres, by the Lady Letitia Ponsonby, his wife, daughter of Brabazon, Earl of Bessborough, and had issue,
JOSEPH, his heir;
Mervyn, d 1823;
Harvey, of Castle Morres, County Kilkenny
;
Mary; Letitia.
Mr Pratt was succeeded by his eldest son,

JOSEPH PRATT JP (1775-1863), of Cabra Castle, Colonel of Militia, High Sheriff of County Cavan, 1799, who espoused firstly, in 1806, Jemima Roberta, daughter of Sir James Stratford Tynte Bt, of Tynte Park, and by her had issue,
MERVYN, his heir;
Joseph Tynte;
Fitzherbert;
Walter Caulfeild;
Fitzmaurice Caldwell Tynte;
Hannah, Sarah Emily Tynte; Elizabeth Martha.
Colonel Pratt wedded secondly, in 1826, Nicola Sophia, widow of Claudius William Cole-Hamilton, of Kingscourt, County Meath, but by her had no issue.

He was succeeded by his eldest son,

MERVYN PRATT JP DL (1807-90), of Cabra Castle, High Sheriff of County Cavan, 1841, County Mayo, 1843, and County Meath, 1875, who espoused, in 1834, Madeline Eglantine, only daughter and heir of Colonel William Jackson, of Enniscoe, County Mayo, and had issue,
JOSEPH, his successor;
Louisa Catherine Hannah; Madeline Caroline Mary;
Jemima Roberta Emily Tynte.
Mr Pratt was succeeded by his eldest son,

JOSEPH PRATT JP DL (1843-1929), of Enniscoe, County Mayo, High Sheriff of County Cavan, 1874, County Mayo, 1876, who married, in 1870, Charlotte Eliza, only daughter of James Hamilton, of Cornacassa, County Monaghan, and had issue,
MERVYN, his heir;
Audley Charles (1874-1917);
Eglantine Madeline Georgina, died in infancy.
Mr Pratt was succeeded by his eldest son,

MAJOR MERVYN PRATT DSO JP (1873-1950), of Cabra Castle, and Enniscoe.

Major Pratt was badly wounded in the Boer War and never married.

He lived permanently at Enniscoe, County Mayo, and left Cabra Castle, County Cavan, unoccupied.

His younger brother, Colonel Audley Pratt, was killed in the 1st World war and also was unmarried.

Major Pratt died at Enniscoe and bequeathed Cabra to his nearest male relative, Mervyn Sheppard, a Malayan Civil Servant.


CABRA CASTLE, near Kingscourt, County Cavan, now a hotel, boasts a proud history dating as far back as 1760.

In 1964, the Pratts reluctantly disposed of the property, 265 years after Cabra land first came into the family possession.

A local family called Brennan bought the castle.

They renovated the building and converted it into a twenty-two bedroom hotel.


It was in their ownership until 1986, when it was then sold to a group of Arabs.

They closed down the hotel, finished off pre-booked functions, and then kept the building as a private house.


It effectively lay idle until 1991, when it was purchased by its present owners, the Corscadden family, who re-opened it as a hotel.

Since then the property has been extensively refurbished and expanded from twenty-four bedrooms, to incorporate the former Courtyard area bringing the total number of bedrooms to eighty.

The fine staircase hall is surrounded by a gallery at second-floor level, carried to an extent on iron brackets.

First published in February, 2012.

Tuesday, 23 October 2018

Tintern Abbey

THE COLCLOUGHS WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY WEXFORD, WITH 13,329 ACRES


The ancient descent of COLCLOUGH (pronounced Coke-lee) is very fully set forth in the Visitation of Staffordshire, 1583; Visitation, County Wexford, 1618; Visitation, City of London, 1634; and the registries in Ulster King-of-arms' office, Dublin Castle.

The Visitation of Staffordshire commences with

RICHARD COLCLOUGH, of Blurton, Staffordshire, 1367, who was father of
HUGH, his heir;
William;
Richard.
The eldest son, 

HUGH COLCLOUGH, granted Blurton and Cockenidge to his son during the reign of EDWARD III; namely, 

RICHARD COLCLOUGH, living in the reign of HENRY V, who married Elizabeth, daughter of John Delves.

JOHN COLCLOUGH, whose relationship to the above is not given, had a son and heir, 

THOMAS COLCLOUGH, living during the time of HENRY VI, who was father of


RICHARD COLCLOUGH, Mayor of Newcastle-under-Lyme in the reign of EDWARD IV, who wedded Blanche, daughter of William Davenport, of Davenport, Cheshire, and had a son,

JOHN COLCLOUGH, of Blurton, who espoused Agnes, daughter and heir of Mr Lockwood, and left two sons, namely,
RICHARD, his heir;
Thomas, who had Delfe House, alias High Haugh, gifted by his father.
The elder son,

RICHARD COLCLOUGH, of Wolstanton, Staffordshire, wedded Eleanor, daughter of Sir John Draycot, knight, of Painsley Hall, and had issue,
ANTHONY, his heir;
John;
Matthew;
Richard.
The eldest son,

ANTHONY COLCLOUGH, of Blurton, Staffordshire, in 1566, Captain of the Band of Pensioners to ELIZABETH I, was granted the abbey and lands of Tintern, County Wexford.

This gentleman first arrived in Ireland, 1542, and was knighted by the Lord Justice of that kingdom in 1500.

Sir Anthony died in 1584, and is interred under a handsome monument in Tintern Abbey.

His wife was Clare, daughter of Thomas Agard, who amassed a great fortune as one of the receivers of the Irish revenue.

By her, Sir Anthony had a number of children, of whom the eldest surviving son, 

SIR THOMAS COLCLOUGH (1564-1624), Knight, of Tintern Abbey, succeeded his father and had livery of his estate.

Sir Thomas married Martha, fourth daughter of the Most Rev Adam Loftus, Lord Archbishop of Dublin; and by her, who died in 1609, and was buried in St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin, he had issue,
ADAM, his heir
Thomas;
John;
Richard;
Leonard;
Anne; Jane; Martha; Mary; Eleanor.
He espoused secondly, Eleanor, second daughter of Dudley Begenal, of Dunleckney, County Carlow, second son of Sir Nicholas Bagenal, Knight, of Newry, Marshal of ELIZABETH I's armies in Ireland.

The eldest son, 

SIR ADAM COLCLOUGH (c1590-1637), of Tintern Abbey, High Sheriff of County Wexford, 1630,  was created a baronet in 1628, denominated of Tintern Abbey, County Wexford.

He married Alice, daughter of Sir Robert Rich, Knight, a Master in Chancery in England, and had issue,
CÆSAR, his heir;
Anthony.
Sir Adam was succeeded by his elder son,

SIR CÆSAR COLCLOUGH, 2nd Baronet (1624-84), of Tintern Abbey, who wedded Frances, daughter of Sir William Clarke, and had issue,
CÆSAR;
Margaret.
He was succeeded by his only son,

SIR CÆSAR  COLCLOUGH, 3rd Baronet (c1650-87), Deputy Lieutenant-Governor of County Kilkenny, 1689, who dsp, when the title expired, and the estates devolved upon his only sister,

MARGARET COLCLOUGH, who duly became heiress to her brother of his great estates.

She married firstly, in 1673, Robert Leigh, of Rosegarland, who thereupon assumed the surname of COLCLOUGH; and secondly, in 1696, John Pigott, of Kilfinney, who also assumed the surname of COLCLOUGH, and died in 1717.

She dsp 1723, when she was succeeded at Tintern by her kinsman and heir male,

CÆSAR COLCLOUGH (1696-1766), of Tintern Abbey (eldest son of Dudley Colclough, of Duffrey Hall), Colonel, Wexford Militia, MP for Wexford, 1727-61, who wedded firstly, in 1717, Frances Muschamp, daughter of Sir Thomas Vesey Bt, of Knapton, Lord Bishop of Ossory, by whom he had an only daughter, Margaret, who died young.

He married secondly, in 1721, Henrietta, daughter of Agmondisham Vesey, of Lucan, County Dublin, and had further issue,
Cæsar, b 1722; dspvp;
Vesey, father of VESEY;
Dudley, dspvp;
Agmondisham Vesey;
Adam, of Duffrey Hall; father of MARY GREY WENTWORTH;
Thomas (Rev);
Richard;
Frances; Anne; Harriett; Mary; Margaret; Lora.
Colonel Colclough was succeeded by his grandson,

VESEY COLCLOUGH (1745-94), of Tintern Abbey, MP for County Wexford,  1766-9, High Sheriff, 1767, who espoused, in 1765, Katherine, daughter of John Grogan, of Johnstown, County Wexford, and had issue,
Cæsar, his heir;
John, MP for County Wexford;
Vesey.
Mr Colclough (who was known in County Wexford as "Sir Vesey"), was succeeded by his eldest son,

CÆSAR COLCLOUGH (1766-1842), MP for County Wexford, 1806, who married, in 1818, Jane Stratford, daughter of John Kirwan, Barrister, and had no issue.

He died in 1842, when Tintern Abbey and the estates descended to (and after some litigation on the part of his widow), and were settled on his second cousin and heiress-at-law,

MARY GREY WENTWORTH ROSSBOROUGH-COLCLOUGH (1811-84), of Tintern Abbey, only surviving daughter and heiress of Cæsar Colclough, of Duffrey Hall.

She succeeded her father in 1822, and her kinsman, 1842.

Mary Colclough wedded, in 1848, JOHN THOMAS ROSSBOROUGH JP DL, of Mullinagood, County Longford, eldest son of John Rossborough, of Nicholson's Court and Clancaulfield House, County Longford, and grandson of Hugh Rossborough, of Mullingoan, County Fermanagh.

Mr Rossborough assumed, in 1853, the additional surname and arms of COLCLOUGH.

He died in 1869; and Mary, Mrs Rossborough-Colclough, died in 1884, leaving issue,
LOUISE MARIA SUSANNA COLCLOUGH;
Susanna Frances Julia; Mary Grey Wentworth Fanning; Belinda Powell Leech Trumble.
The eldest daughter,

LOUISE MARIA SUSANNA COLCLOUGH BIDDULPH-COLCLOUGH, of Tintern Abbey, succeeding her mother in 1884, married, in 1885, Franc Digby Biddulph, Captain, 3rd Middlesex Militia (who assumed the surname and arms of COLCLOUGH, 1886), youngest son of Francis Wellesley Marsh Biddulph, of Rathrobin.

She died in 1912, having by him had issue,
CÆSAR FRANC THOMAS BICKERSTAFF PLANTAGENET (1886-88);
Lucy Wilmot Maria Susanna Biddulph, born 1890.
The only daughter,

LUCY WILMOT MARIA SUSANNA BIDDULPH-COLCLOUGH (1890-1984), of Tintern House, presented Tintern Abbey to the Irish state in 1958 (excluding lands).


TINTERN ABBEY, situated on the west shore of Bannow Bay, County Wexford, was one of the most powerful Cistercian foundations in the south-east of Ireland until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536.

The first Cistercian foundation in Ireland, at Mellifont, County Louth, in 1142, was part of sweeping reforms which took place in the Irish Church in the 12th century.

The early Cistercians, who had their origins in the monastery of Citeaux in France, were dedicated to a simple life of prayer and manual labour.

By 1169, when the Anglo-Normans arrived in Ireland, there were already fifteen Cistercian houses in Ireland.


In 1200, William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, set sail for Ireland on his first visit as Lord of Leinster. Threatened with shipwreck, he vowed to found an abbey wherever he could safely land.

On reaching safety in Bannow Bay, he redeemed his vow bequeathing about 9,000 acres of land for a Cistercian abbey.

Consequently, Tintern Abbey, sited on a gentle south-facing slope overlooking Tintern stream, is sometimes called Tintern de Voto, 'Tintern of the vow.'

Once established, the abbey was colonised by monks from the Cistercian abbey at Tintern in Monmouthshire, of which William Marshal was also patron.


Following its foundation, Tintern acquired large tracts of land in County Wexford and, at the Dissolution of the Monasteries, appears to have been the third richest Cistercian abbey in Ireland (after St Mary's in Dublin and Mellifont).

Shortly after, Tintern Abbey and its lands were granted to Anthony Colclough from Staffordshire, an officer in HENRY VIII's army.

The Colclough family extensively modified the abbey church, converting the crossing tower and later, the nave, chancel and Lady Chapel to domestic quarters.

In the 18th century, Sir Vesey Colclough built many of the fine battlemented walls seen around the abbey today.

In the 1790s, John Colclough converted the nave into a residence of neo-Gothic style.

He also established a flour mill, the ruins of which stand on the south bank of the stream close to the upper bridge.

At this period also, a thriving weaving industry had developed in Tintern village, located across the stream south-west of the abbey.

Following John's death, his brother Caesar inherited the estate and, shortly after 1814, built the village of Saltmills to replace the old village of Tintern which was then demolished.

The final member of the Colclough family to reside at Tintern was Miss Lucy Wilmot Maria Susanna Biddulph Colclough, who presented the Abbey to the Irish nation in 1958.

Conservation and consolidation works started at Tintern in the early 1980s and archaeological excavations between 1982-94 exposed many of the features of the original Cistercian abbey.

Constructed to the standard Cistercian plan, the abbey church was located to the north of an  enclosed cloister garth, which was surrounded on all sides by covered walks and a sequence of domestic buildings.

First published in August, 2012.

Sunday, 21 October 2018

Londonderry State Coach


The State Coach is usually on display at the National Trust's Mount Stewart estate, County Down, former seat of the Marquesses of Londonderry.


A new coach-house was made for the coach, which used to be based at the family's grand London residence, Londonderry House, Park Lane.


The coach  (or chariot) is exquisite in its detail and craftsmanship.


The Londonderry coat-of-arms, crests and coronets adorn it.

7th Marquess & Marchioness

The walls of the coach-house tell its story: it only seems to have been used on state occasions.


The coach is on loan from the present Marquess.

First published in 2010.

Thursday, 18 October 2018

Darragh Island


I spent yesterday on Darragh Island, a property of The National Trust, on the western side of Strangford Lough, not far from Killinchy and Whiterock, County Down.

Darragh comprises about nineteen acres in extent and was donated to the National Trust in 1978 by John Metcalfe.

There were eight us of yesterday, less than usual because the little boat can only handle about four or five people.

Our boat took us from Whiterock, passing Braddock Island and Conly Island.

It's close to Conly Island.

We were excavating a series of ponds.

Darragh is a great example of how the correct management can produce species-rich grassland with superb displays of wild flowers and insects.

The National Trust uses a purpose-built barge to bring cattle out to this island, whenever possible.

This ensures that the grass is grazed to the optimum height to maximize biodiversity.

In the summer, the island is carpeted in colourful meadows – a rare sight in the countryside these days.


There are the remains of a kelp-house at the southern end (see photograph at top).

This simple stone building was built at the end of the 18th century and similar structures would have been common on many of Strangford Lough's islands.

Back then, many local farmers supplemented their income by harvesting seaweed from the shore and burning it in stone kilns.

The residue that was left after burning (called kelp) was an important source of sodium carbonate, which was used in industrial processes such as the production of glass and soap.

It was also used as a bleaching agent in the linen industry.

The kelp was stored in the kelp-houses until it was sold and transported to the various factories and mills.

The remains of a kelp kiln is found just a short distance from the kelp-house.

There are other kelp kilns on the National Trust islands of Taggart, Chapel and South.

Interestingly, they are all built to slightly different designs.

Saturday, 13 October 2018

Tyrone DLs

APPOINTMENT OF DEPUTY LIEUTENANTS

Mr Robert Scott OBE, Lord-Lieutenant of County Tyrone, has been pleased to appoint
Mr Charles Gregory PARKE
Omagh
County Tyrone 
Mr Peter David WATERSON
Omagh
County Tyrone
To be Deputy Lieutenants of the County, his Commission bearing date 5th day of October, 2018.

Robert Scott

Lord Lieutenant of the County

Tuesday, 9 October 2018

Cahercon House

THE HON CHARLES WILLIAM WHITE WAS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDOWNER IN COUNTY TIPPERARY, WITH 23,957 ACRES

LUKE WHITE (c1750-1824) was born at Bell's Lane (now Garfield Street), Belfast.
This bookseller, lottery operator and Whig politician was once known as "the Smithfield Millionaire." 
He started as an impecunious book dealer, first in the streets of Belfast; then, from 1778, at an auction house in Dublin, buying and reselling around the country. 
By 1798, during the Rebellion, he helped the Irish government with a loan of £1 million (at £65 per £100 share at 5%). 
He then purchased Luttrellstown Castle from Henry Luttrell, 2nd Earl of Carhampton, in 1800, and changed its name to Woodlands in order to eradicate the memory of its previous owner.
Mr White, High Sheriff of County Dublin, 1804, Longford, 1806, MP for Leitrim, 1818-24, married firstly, in 1781, Elizabeth de la Mazière, and had, with other issue,
Thomas, Colonel in the army, of Woodlands;
Samuel;
Luke;
HENRY, of whom hereafter;
Matilda, m 4th Baron Massy.
He espoused secondly, in 1800, Arabella Fortescue, daughter of William Fortescue, and had issue, one son.

Mr White died at his London residence in Park Street, Mayfair.

He left properties worth £175,000 per annum which subsequently devolved upon his fourth son,

HENRY WHITE (1791-1873), of Woodlands, County Dublin, and afterwards of Rathcline, County Longford, who wedded, in 1828, Ellen, daughter of William Soper Dempster, of Skibo Castle, Sutherland, and had issue,
LUKE, his heir;
Henry;
George Frederick;
Francis Samuel;
Charles William, of Cahercon;
Robert;
Eleanor; Emily.
Mr White was elevated to the peerage, in 1863, in the dignity of BARON ANNALY, of Annaly and Rathcline, County Longford.

He was succeeded by his eldest son,

LUKE, 2nd Baron (1829-88), KP, MP for Clare, 1859-60, Longford, 1861-2, Kidderminster, 1862-5, who espoused, in 1853, Emily, daughter of James Stuart, and had issue.

The Heir apparent is the present holder's only son, the Hon Luke Henry White.
*****

The 1st Baron's fifth son, the Hon Charles William White (1838-90), of Cahercon, inherited the County Clare estates comprising 18,226 acres, and 5,731 acres in County Tipperary.


CAHERCON HOUSE, near Kildysart, County Clare, is situated on the banks of the River Shannon, the seat of the Scott family until at least the 1850s.

The sale rental of 1854 gives a detailed description of the house which included 16 bedrooms.

Cahercon, variously known as Cahircon, Caheracon and Cahiracon, is a late-Georgian block of three storeys over a basement, with two-storey, mid-19th century wings and other additions.

The house faces across the Shannon estuary.


The main block is of five bays, with an Ionic porch; the wings have three-sided bows. The roof is prominent.

Cahercon was the seat of the Scott family until at least the 1850s and was constructed around 1790.

In 1873, the wings, conservatory and single storey bay were added.

By the 19th century James Kelly held the house in fee.

The Hon James William White, son of Lord Annally's son, lived in Cahiracon in the mid 1870s and it was still a seat of the family in 1894.

The Vandeleurs lived in Cahercon at the beginning of the 20th century.

In 1920, it was purchased by the Maynooth Mission to China, and they in turn sold it to the Salesians Sisters of St John Bosco in 1962.

Until 2002, Cahercon House operated as a secondary school, boarding school and convent.

First published in July, 2012.

Thursday, 4 October 2018

Owenmore House

THE ORMES WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY SLIGO, WITH 11,771 ACRES

WILLIAM ORME, of Hanch Hall, Longdon, Staffordshire, descended from a family of graziers long settled in Cheshire, married, in 1612, Grace, daughter of Nicholas Hurt, of Castern, Staffordshire.

He died in 1623, leaving a son,

WILLIAM ORME (1614-65), of Hanch Hall, who being a Royalist, suffered heavy fines and imprisonment at the hands of the usurper, CROMWELL.

He lived to witness the Restoration, and had a confirmation of his arms by Sir William Dugdale, Norroy King-of-Arms, 1665.

Mr Orme wedded Anne, daughter of Thomas Brudenell, of Staunton Wivell, Leicestershire, and had issue,
Thomas (c1637-1716), dsp;
William, Colonel in the French Army;
JAMES, of whom presently;
Robert;
Dorothea.
The third son,

JAMES ORME, settled ca 1671 in County Mayo, where he purchased considerable estates.

He espoused Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Barrow, of County Cork, and had issue,
ROBERT, his heir;
William, of Ballintubber.
Mr Orme died in 1707, and was succeeded by his eldest son,

ROBERT ORME, of Carne, County Mayo, who married, in 1703, Elizabeth, daughter of James Johnston, and had issue,
Thomas, of Carne;
James, of Fairfield;
WILLIAM, of whom hereafter;
Robert (Congressman), settled in Jones County, USA;
Mary; Margaret; Lettice.
The third son,

WILLIAM ORME JP (1810-76), of Owenmore, County Mayo, wedded firstly, in 1837, Janette, daughter of Christopher Carleton L'Estrange, of Market Hill, County Fermanagh; and secondly, in 1858, Margaret Barbara, eldest daughter of the Rev Savage Hall, Rector of Loughgall, County Armagh,

He dsp and was succeeded by his brother, 

ROBERT ORME JP DL (1815-77), of Owenmore, County Mayo, and Enniscrone, County Sligo, who espoused, in 1843, Sidney Frances, daughter of Christopher Carleton L'Estrange, and had issue,
ROBERT WILLIAM, his heir;
CHRISTOPHER GUY, succeeded his brother;
Albert L'Estrange;
Janet Georgina, m 1882, Claude Brownlow, of Killynether.
The eldest son,

ROBERT WILLIAM ORME JP DL (1856-1903), of Owenmore and Enniscrone, died unmarried, and was succeeded by his brother,

CHRISTOPHER GUY ORME JP DL (1858-1929), of Owenmore and Enniscrone, who married, in 1907, Mary Kathleen, daughter of the 1st Baron Morris and Killanin, and had issue,
ROBERT WILLIAM MARTIN, b 1908;
Lettice Frances; Cicely Dorothea.

OWENMORE HOUSE, near Crossmolina, County Mayo, built ca 1847, is a house of two storeys over a high basement.

It has a five-bay entrance front, with a single-storey Doric portico.

The other side elevation has a two-storey bowed wing of similar style and height to the main block, though set back.

When the estate was decimated by the Land Acts, about 1926, it was sold to the Knox family.

It was sold again in 1950 to Major Marcus McCausland.

First published in July, 2012.

Tuesday, 2 October 2018

Kilronan Castle

THE KING-TENISONS WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY ROSCOMMON, WITH 17,726 ACRES

This family is derived from the same stock as was the celebrated divine, DR THOMAS TENISON, advanced, in 1694, from the bishopric of Lincoln to the archiepiscopal see of Canterbury.

RICHARD TENISON, DD (1642-1705), born at Carrickfergus, County Antrim (eldest son of Major Thomas Tenison, one of the Sheriffs of the town of Carrickfergus, 1646), was stated to have been a cousin of the said Primate.

Thomas Tenison entered Trinity College, Dublin, in 1659, of which he eventually became Vice-Chancellor.

Dr Tenison was appointed to the deanery of Clogher in 1675; and, in 1681, he was consecrated Lord Bishop of Killala and Achonry, from which see he was translated, successively, to those of Clogher and of Meath, of which latter diocese he died in 1705, having had issue,
HENRY, MP for Monaghan, 1695, and for Louth, 1703;
RICHARD, MP for Dunleer, 1715;
THOMAS, of whom we treat;
William;
Norbury;
Elizabeth; Maria.
CAPTAIN THOMAS TENISON, the third son, married Alice, daughter of the Rev William Mosse, Rector of Maryborough, Queen's County, and had issue,
THOMAS;
Mary Jane; Ann.
Captain Tenison died in 1764, and was succeeded by his only son,

THOMAS TENISON, born ca 1730, MP for County Monaghan, 1780, who wedded, in 1758, Mary Anne, second daughter of Colonel John Daniel Degennes, of Portarlington, Queen's County (where he resided for some years afterwards at Rosefield, County Monaghan), and had issue,
THOMAS, his heir;
Frances, died unmarried.
His only son,

THOMAS TENISON, of Castle Tenison (now Kilronan Castle), MP for Boyle, 1792, Lieutenant-Colonel, Roscommon Militia, married firstly, in 1803, the Lady Frances Anne King, daughter of Edward, 1st Earl of Kingston, and had issue,
THOMAS, his heir;
EDWARD KING, successor to his brother.
He wedded secondly, Mary Anne, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Coore, of Scruton, Yorkshire, and by her had an only daughter, Thomasine Sophia, who espoused Robert Saunderson, of County Cavan.

Mr Tenison died in 1835, and was succeeded by his eldest son,

THOMAS TENISON, of Castle Tenison, who died unmarried at Florence, Italy, 1843, and was succeeded by his brother,

LIEUTENANT-COLONEL EDWARD KING-TENISON JP DL (1805-78), of Kilronan Castle, who wedded, in 1838, the Lady Louisa Mary Anne Anson, eldest daughter of Thomas William, Earl of Lichfield, and had issue, two daughters, 
Louisa Frances Mary, b 1868;
FRANCES MARGARET CHRISTINA.
Colonel King-Tenison's younger daughter,

FRANCES MARGARET CHRISTINA KING-TENISON (1845-1907), of Kilronan Castle, espoused, in 1872, Henry, 8th Earl of Kingston.


KILRONAN CASTLE, near Ballyfarnon, County Roscommon, was formerly called Castle Tenison.

It was built in the early 19th Century and replaced a house near the site of the present outbuildings.

The entrance to the earlier house was by the short avenue later used as the farm yard entrance.

The new building was a three storey, three bay symmetrical castellated block, with slender corner turrets or minarets.

The rooms were well proportioned and there was delicate fan vaulting plaster-work on the stairs and landing.


Isaac Weld visited the place in the late 1820s and referred to the castle as a spacious and costly modern built edifice of three storeys in height, in form nearly square with a round minaret tower at each angle; the whole embattled at the summit.

This was the castle to which Lady Louisa came to make her home.

The castle was extended by the 8th Earl of Kingston in 1876, with a five-storey over basement baronial tower and battlements.

During the Edwardian period, Lord and Lady Kingston enjoyed the estate until political and social change saw the closure and sale of Kilronan.

Kilronan Castle, although furnished, was seldom occupied.

In 1939, the contents of  the castle were sold by auction.

Eventually the Irish Land Commission acquired the property.

Kilronan Castle is now a hotel.

First published in April, 2012.