Friday, 30 November 2018

New DL

APPOINTMENT OF DEPUTY LIEUTENANT


Mrs Fionnuala Jay-O’Boyle CBE, Lord-Lieutenant of the County Borough of Belfast, has been pleased to appoint:-
CORBETT, Mrs Patricia Sarah,
Belfast,
To be a Deputy Lieutenant of the County Borough, her Commission bearing date the day of November,  2018.


Lord Lieutenant of the County Borough

Monday, 26 November 2018

Ballyconra House

THE VISCOUNTS MOUNTGARRET WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY KILKENNY, WITH 14,073 ACRES


This is a branch of the noble house of BUTLER, Earls and Marquesses of Ormonde, springing from

THE HON RICHARD BUTLER (1500-71), second son of Piers, 8th Earl of Ormonde, who was elevated to the peerage, in 1550, in the dignity of VISCOUNT MOUNTGARRET, County Wexford.

His lordship married firstly, Eleanor, daughter of Theobald Butler, of Nechum, County Kilkenny, and had one son, Edmund; and secondly, Catherine, daughter and heir of Peter Barnewall, of Stackallan, County Meath, and had issue, Barnewall, who died unmarried, Pierce, and other issue.

He espoused thirdly, in 1541, Anne, daughter of John, Lord Killeen, from whom he was divorced in the first year of his marriage.

His lordship was succeeded by his eldest son,

EDMUND, 2nd Viscount (c1562-1602), who married Grizzel, daughter of Barnaby, 1st Baron Upper Ossory, and was father of

RICHARD, 3rd Viscount (1578-1651), who wedded firstly, Margaret, eldest daughter of Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, by whom alone he had issue, and was succeeded by his eldest son,

EDMUND, 4th Viscount (1595-1679), 

Earls of Kilkenny (1793)



Viscounts Mountgarret (continued)


The current heir presumptive is the present holder's brother, Edmund Henry Richard Butler (b 1962). 
Piers James Richard [Butler], 18th and present Viscount,  is de jure 27th Earl of Ormonde and 21st Earl of Upper Ossory following the death of the 7th Marquess of Ormonde in 1997. 


BALLYCONRA HOUSE is a seven-bay, two-storey over basement house with dormer attic, dated 1724, on an L-shaped plan, possibly originally a mill owner's house with two-bay two-storey side elevations, and single-bay two-storey double-pile return to north-west. Now in use as offices.

This is a well-appointed substantial house representing an important element of the early 18th century architectural heritage of County Kilkenny.

It may originally have had associations with the nearby Ballyconra Mills, though its primary significance was for the connections with the Butler Family, Viscounts Mountgarret, late of Ballyragget Castle (1495) together with the Cahill family.

Ballyconra is located on a slightly elevated site.

This house makes an important impression in a landscape dominated by late 20th-century industrial ranges.  

The house is said to be haunted by the ghost of Edmund, 12th Viscount Mountgarret and first and last Earl of Kilkenny, who died in 1846 and was the last Mountgarret to live there. 

Following Lord Kilkenny's death, the house was occupied by Michael Cahill, agent to the 13th Viscount, by whose descendants it was afterwards acquired.

The Mountgarrets' other seat was Nidd Hall, near Ripley, Yorkshire; sold in 1968.

First published in February, 2012.   Mountgarret arms courtesy of European Heraldry.

Castletown House

THE CONOLLYS OWNED 2,605 ACRES OF LAND IN COUNTY KILDARE

THE RT HON WILLIAM CONOLLY (1662-1729), of Castletown, Speaker of the House of Commons in Ireland during the reign of QUEEN ANNE, First Lord of the Treasury until his decease during the reign of GEORGE II, and ten times sworn one of the Lords Justices of Ireland, espoused, in 1694, Katherine, sister of Henry, 1st Earl Conyngham, by whom he acquired large estates in Ulster.
Speaker Conolly was born in 1662 at Ballyshannon, County Donegal. 
His father, Patrick Conolly, was attainted by JAMES II's Irish Parliament of 1689: otherwise little is known of Patrick Conolly and his wife, Jane, except that they owned an inn or alehouse and must have conformed to the established church at some stage before Conolly's birth. 
Old Irish Christian names like Terence, Phelim and Thady, predominate among his relatives. Conolly appears to have been the oldest of the family, and was early apprenticed to the law in Dublin. 
In 1685, when his sister Jane was only one year old, he was already qualified as an attorney and attached to the Court of Common Pleas.
Speaker Conolly, MP for Donegal, 1692-9, Londonderry, 1703-29, was succeeded by his nephew,

THE RT HON WILLIAM JAMES CONOLLY (1706-54), of Castletown, County Kildare, and Stratton Hall, Staffordshire, who married the Lady Anne Wentworth, eldest daughter of Thomas, 1st Earl of Strafford, KG, son of Sir Peter Wentworth, and nephew of Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Strafford (who was beheaded in the reign of CHARLES I), and had issue,
THOMAS, his heir;
Katherine, m Ralph, Earl of Ross;
Anne, m G Byng; mother of Earl of Strafford;
Harriet, m Rt Hon John Staples, of Lissan;
Frances, m 5th Viscount Howe;
Caroline, m 2nd Earl of Buckinghamshire;
Lucy; Jane.
Mr Conolly, MP for Ballyshannon, 1727-54, was succeeded by his son,

THE RT HON THOMAS CONOLLY (1738-1803), of Castletown, a member, like his father, of the Privy Council in Ireland, one of the deputation appointed by the Irish Parliament to offer the Regency to the Prince of Wales, on the first indisposition of GEORGE III.

Mr Conolly, MP for County Londonderry, 1761-1800, wedded, in 1758, the Lady Louisa Augusta Lennox, daughter of Charles, 2nd Duke of Richmond and Lennox, KG etc, and dsp.

By his will he devised his estates to his widow for life, and at her death, which occurred in 1821, they devolved upon his grand-nephew, EDWARD MICHAEL PAKENHAM, who, assuming his surname and arms of CONOLLY in 1821, became

EDWARD MICHAEL CONOLLY (1786-1849), of Castletown, County Kildare, and Cliff, County Donegal, Lieutenant-Colonel, Donegal Militia, MP for County Donegal, 1831-49, who espoused, in 1819, Catherine Jane, daughter of Chambr√© Brabazon Ponsonby-Barker, by the Lady Henrietta Taylour his wife, daughter of Thomas, Earl of Bective, and had issue,
THOMAS, his heir;
Chambré Brabazon, d 1835;
Frederick William Edward, d 1826;
Arthur Wellesley, 1828-54;
John Augustus,
VC;
Richard, d 1870;
Louisa Augusta; Henrietta; Mary Margaret; Frances Catherine.
Mr Conolly was succeeded by his eldest son,

THOMAS CONOLLY JP DL (1823-76), of Castletown and Cliff, High Sheriff of County Donegal, 1848, MP for County Donegal, 1849-76, who married, in 1868, Sarah Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph Shaw, of Temple House, Celbridge, County Kildare, and had issue,
Thomas (1870-1900), killed in action at S Africa;
William, 1872-95;
EDWARD MICHAEL, of whom hereafter;
CATHERINE, Baroness Carew, mother of
6th BARON CAREW.
Mr Conolly was succeeded by his eldest surviving son,

EDWARD MICHAEL CONOLLY CMG (1874-1956), of Castletown, Major, Royal Artillery, who died unmarried, when Castletown passed to his nephew,

William Francis (Conolly-Carew), 6th Baron Carew.

The Conolly Papers are held at PRONI.


CASTLETOWN HOUSE, near Celbridge, County Kildare, is not only the largest, though also the earliest Palladian house in Ireland.

It was built in 1722 for the Rt Hon William Conolly, Speaker of the Irish house of commons, who rose from relatively humble origins to become a man of colossal wealth and power.

Speaker Conolly accumulated his massive fortune by dealing in forfeited estates.

He refused to accept a peerage, preferring instead to remain, like his descendants, as plain "Mr Conolly of Castletown".

He desired a residence within easy reach of Dublin, and purchased land near Celbridge, County Kildare, in order to build the grandest, finest Palladian house in Ireland.

Castletown was designed by the Italian architect, Alessandro Galilei and also partly by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce.

It is said that Castletown's design was an influence on that of The White House in Washington DC, USA (built between 1792 and 1800).


The main block comprises three storeys over a basement, with thirteen bays.

The centre block is joined by curved, Ionic colonnades to two-storey, seven-bay wings.

The entrance hall, designed by Pearce, rises to two storeys.

Lady Louisa Conolly (daughter of 2nd Duke of Richmond and sister of Emily, Duchess of Leinster) and her husband, Tom Conolly, employed the Francini brothers to embellish the walls of the staircase hall with rococo stucco-work.

The refurbishment of the house was mostly supervised by Lady Louisa (notably the Print Room, and the magnificent Long Gallery on the first floor).

The Long Gallery

Lady Louisa had the Long Gallery (eighty feet in length and one of the most beautiful rooms in Ireland) decorated with wall paintings in the Pompeian style by Thomas Riley in 1776.

The Long Gallery and other principal rooms face the garden front and a two-mile long vista to the Conolly Folly, an obelisk elevated on arches erected by Speaker Conolly's widow in 1740.

This obelisk stands on ground belonging to the Earls of Kildare (later Dukes of Leinster) at Carton House.

The Conolly Folly
The Print Room was conceived by Lady Louisa in the 1760s, likely with assistance from her close friends, probably as a diversion on rainy days.

The Print Room

The Conolly family continued to own Castletown until 1965.

In 1967, it was purchased by the Hon Desmond Guinness for £93,000 as the GHQ of the Irish Georgian Society.

Thereafter, Castletown was restored, and in 1994 it was transferred to the Irish government's Department of Public works.

Former estates ~ The manors of Castletown and Leixlip, in County Kildare; of Rathfarnham, in County Dublin; of Ballyshannon and Parkhill, in County Donegal; besides estates in County Roscommon and the King's County, all purchased by His Excellency the Rt Hon William Conolly, Speaker of the House of Commons in Ireland, and Lord Justice of Ireland.

Former London residence ~ 20 Grosvenor Square.

First published in March, 2016.

Friday, 23 November 2018

New DL

APPOINTMENT OF DEPUTY LIEUTENANT

The Earl of Caledon KCVO, Lord-Lieutenant of County Armagh, has been pleased to appoint
Mr Simon CASSELLS QVRM
Portadown
County Armagh
To be a Deputy Lieutenant of the County his Commission bearing date the day of 11th November 2018.

Thursday, 22 November 2018

Convamore House

THE EARLS OF LISTOWEL WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY KERRY, WITH 30,000 ACRES.


This ancient family claims descent from the house of HARCOURT, in Lorraine, who were Counts in Normandy.

In 1461,

JOHN HARE, son of Thomas Hare, by Joyce, his wife, daughter of John Hyde, of Norbury, resided at Homersfield, in Suffolk and was father of

NICHOLAS HARE, father of

JOHN HARE, who, by Elizabeth Fortescue, his wife, had two sons, viz.
NICHOLAS;
JOHN. 
The younger son,

JOHN HARE, having eventually inherited the estates of his brother, Sir Nicholas, became of Stow Bardolph.

He had a numerous family, seven sons and three daughters.

Of the former,

RICHARD, the eldest, was ancestor of the HARES of Stow Bardolph, raised to the degree of Baronet in 1641; and

JOHN HARE, the youngest, a bencher of the Middle Temple, wedded Margaret, daughter of John Crouch, of Cornbury, Hertfordshire, and had a son,

HUGH HARE, a faithful adherent of CHARLES I, by whom he was created, in 1625, BARON COLERAINE,  of County Londonderry.

His lordship married and was father of

HENRY, descended the Lords Coleraine; and from a younger son, HUGH, sprang the HARES of Listowel, the representative of which branch, 

RICHARD HARE, of Ennismore (third son of John Hare, of Cork, a native of Norfolk), the immediate founder of this family, married Catherine Maylor, and had issue,
WILLIAM, his successor;
John, died unmarried, 1774;
Mary; Margaret Anne.
The elder son and successor,

WILLIAM HARE (1751-1837), represented Cork and Athy in the Irish parliament from 1796 until the final dissolution of that assembly.

Mr Hare was elevated to the peerage, in 1800, in the dignity of Baron Ennismore; and advanced to a viscounty, in 1816, as Viscount Ennismore and Listowel.

His lordship was further advanced to the dignity of an earldom, in 1822, as EARL OF LISTOWEL.


He married firstly, in 1772, Mary, only daughter of Henry Wrixon, of Ballygiblin, County Cork, and aunt of Sir William Wrixon-Becher Bt, and had issue,
RICHARD, father of WILLIAM, 2ND EARL;
William Henry;
Margaret Anne; Mary; Louisa; Catharine.
He espoused secondly, in 1812, Anne, second daughter of John Latham, of Meldrum, County Tipperary.

His lordship was succeeded by his grandson,

WILLIAM (1801-56), 2nd Earl.
The heir presumptive is the present holder's brother, the Hon Timothy Patrick Hare (b 1966).
*****

THE PRINCIPAL family seat was Convamore, County Cork, though they were also seated at Ennismore Park, County Kerry, which was sold by the Bailey family to the Hares in the late 18th century.

William, 1st Earl of Listowel, built a new house beside the River Blackwater in the early 19th century.

He was residing at Convamore in 1814.

It remained the family seat in 1894.

The house was burned in 1921 and is now a ruin.


The family's town residence was Kingston House, Knightsbridge, London. The 3rd Earl, the then owner of the Kingston House estate, was admitted as copyholder and secured the ground's enfranchisement from manorial control.

In 1855, the substantial portion of the estate built up with houses and stables in the 1840s and early 1950s was sold by the 2nd Earl, but the greater part, including Kingston House itself, remained in the possession of the Hare family until shortly before the Second World War.


With the death of the 4th Earl in 1931, the estate passed not to his eldest son, the socialist 5th Earl, but on trust to a younger son, the Hon John Hare, later 1st Viscount Blakenham. 


The 3rd Earl died at Kingston House in 1924, and the last occupant was his widow, who in turn died there in 1936. In March, 1937, the contents were sold and that autumn the house itself was demolished for the building of flats.

CONVAMORE HOUSE was a large and plain two-storey early 19th century mansion, situated above a fine stretch of the River Blackwater in County Cork.

The entrance front had a single storey Doric portico; while the block with the main rooms was faced with Victorian stucco and plate-glass windows.


The walls of the old Roche castle are said to be stained with tar from a beacon that was lit when EDWARD VII paid a visit as Prince of Wales.

The castle belonged lately to a Major Hirtch, whose father built a gabled fishing lodge beside it.



These decorative cast-iron entrance gates and finely carved piers of solid limestone blocks exhibit high levels of craftsmanship.

The gateway to Convamore House was erected for a visit by the Prince of Wales in 1886.

Listowel arms courtesy of European Heraldry.   First published in February, 2012.

Tuesday, 20 November 2018

Mount Bellew House

THE GRATTAN-BELLEW BARONETS OWNED 10,516 ACRES OF LAND IN COUNTY GALWAY

This family springs from a common ancestor with the BARONS BELLEW, of Barmeath Castle.

Michael Bellew was a descendant of Christopher Bellew, brother of the first Baronet, Sir Patrick Bellew.

MICHAEL BELLEW, of Mount Bellew, County Galway, married Jane, daughter of Henry Dillon, and had issue,
CHRISTOPHER DILLON, his heir;
Mary Catherine. 
Mr Bellew died in 1797, and was succeeded by his son,

CHRISTOPHER DILLON BELLEW (1763-1826), of Mount Bellew, who wedded, in 1794, Olivia Emily, only daughter of Anthony, 4th Baron Nugent of Riverston, and had issue,

MICHAEL DILLON BELLEW (1796-1855), of Mount Bellew, who espoused, in 1816, Helena Maria, daughter of Thomas Dillon, of Dublin, and had numerous issue, of whom
CHRISTOPHER, his heir;
Thomas Arthur, father of 3rd Baronet.
Mr Bellew was created a baronet in 1838, denominated of Mount Bellew, County Galway.

He was succeeded by his eldest son,

THE REV SIR CHRISTOPHER BELLEW, 2nd Baronet (1818-67), a Catholic priest, whose brother,

THOMAS ARTHUR BELLEW (1820-63), married, in 1858, Pauline, daughter of the Rt Hon James Grattan MP, and had issue,
HENRY CHRISTOPHER, his heir;
Mary Helena.
Mr Bellew added the name and arms of GRATTAN in 1859.

He was succeeded by his son,

HENRY CHRISTOPHER GRATTAN-BELLEW (1860-1942), of Mount Bellew, who, succeeding his uncle as 3rd Baronet, wedded, in 1885, the Lady Sophia Maria Elizabeth Forbes, daughter of George, 7th Earl of Granard, and had issue,
Herbert Michael, 1886-1906;
CHARLES CHRISTOPHER;
William Arthur;
Thomas Henry;
Arthur John (Sir), Knight, CMG;
Helena Barbara; Moira Jane; Angela Mary.
Sir Henry was succeeded by his eldest surviving son,

SIR CHARLES CHRISTOPHER GRATTAN-BELLEW, 4th Baronet (1887-1948), MC, who wedded, in 1923, Maureen Peyton, daughter of Sir Thomas George Segrave, and had issue,
HENRY CHARLES, his successor;
Deirdre Maureen.
Sir Charles, Lieutenant-Colonel, King's Royal Rifle Corps, was succeeded by his son,

SIR HENRY CHARLES GRATTAN-BELLEW, 5th and present Baronet, born in 1933, who married firstly, in 1956, Naomi, daughter of Dr Charles Cyril Morgan; secondly, in 1967, Gillian Hulley; and thirdly, in 1978, Elzabe Amy, daughter of Henry Gilbert Body.

By his second wife he had issue,
PATRICK CHARLES, b 1971;
Deirdre Sophia, b 1967.
Photo credit: Dr Patrick Melvin & Eamonn de Burca

MOUNT BELLEW HOUSE, Mount Bellew Bridge, County Galway, was a house of mainly late-Georgian style.

It was remodelled ca 1820 by Christopher Dillon Bellew.

Mount Bellew comprised a three-storey centre block, with a single-bay entrance front.

The central block had a Venetian window at the top storey of the centre block.

It boasted a notable library which was said to have held one of the finest collections of books during its era.

Mount Bellew was sold about 1938 and subsequently demolished.

First published in March, 2016.

Friday, 16 November 2018

1st Earl of Breadalbane and Holland

THE EARLS OF BREADALBANE AND HOLLAND WERE THE GREATEST LANDOWNERS IN PERTHSHIRE, WITH 234,166 ACRES

This ancient family claims a common ancestor with the ducal house of ARGYLL, namely,

SIR DUNCAN CAMPBELL, of Lochawe, who was created Lord Campbell, of Argyll, by JAMES II, King of Scotland, in 1445.

His lordship wedded the Lady Marjorie Stewart, daughter of Robert, Duke of Albany, and granddaughter of ROBERT II, King of Scotland, by whom he left two sons,

ARCHIBALD, his successor, from whom the house of ARGYLL derives; and

SIR COLIN CAMBELL, upon whom his father settled the estate of Glenorchy, which had come into the Campbell family in the time of DAVID II of Scotland, by the marriage of Margaret Glenorchy with John Campbell.
"Sir Colin" says Douglas, "was a man of high renown for military prowess, and for the virtues of social and domestic life. He was a stream of many tides against the foes of his people, but like the gale that moves the heath to those who sought his aid."
He married firstly, Mary, daughter of the Earl of Lennox, but by her had no issue.
He married secondly, Margaret, second daughter and co-heir of John, Lord Lorne, with whom he got a third of that lordship, which still remains in the family, and Sir Colin quartered henceforward the GALLEY OF LORNE, with his paternal achievement.
By this marriage, his only son,

SIR DUNCAN CAMPBELL, who, in his father's lifetime, was designated of Glenorchy, by charter, dated 1480. The great-grandson of this gentleman,

SIR DUNCAN CAMPBELL, of Glenorchy, being in high favour with JAMES VI, was made, by that monarch, in 1617, heritable keeper of the forests of Mamlorn, Bendaskerlie etc, with many valuable privileges; and created, in 1625, a baronet, and High Sheriff of Perthshire, for life.

Sir Duncan married twice, and was succeeded at his decease, in 1631, by the eldest son of his first wife, Jean, daughter of John, Earl of Atholl, Lord Chancellor of Scotland,

SIR COLIN CAMPBELL, 2nd Baronet, who died without issue in 1640, and was succeeded by his brother,

SIR ROBERT CAMPBELL, 3rd Baronet, whose eldest son,

SIR JOHN CAMPBELL (1635-1717), 4th Baronet, being the chief creditor of George, 6th Earl of Caithness, obtained a disposition from that nobleman of his whole estate and earldom, with the hereditary jurisdictions and titles; and upon the demise of his lordship, in 1676, was created, by patent dated 1677, Earl of Caithness; but in a few years afterwards, that dignity being allowed by parliament to be vested in George Sinclair (who became, in consequence, 7th Earl of Caithness), Sir John Campbell obtained a new patent of nobility, dated 1681.

Sir John was created EARL OF BREADALBANE AND HOLLAND.

His lordship wedded firstly, Mary, daughter of Henry Rich, 1st Earl of Holland (which earl was beheaded in 1649), by whom he had two sons.

He married secondly, Mary, Dowager Countess of Caithness, 3rd daughter of Archibald, Marquess of Argyll; but by her had no surviving issue.

This nobleman married a third time, and had a daughter, Mary, who wedded Sir Archibald Cockburn of Langton Bt.
The 1st Earl is described, by John Macky, as having the gravity of a Spaniard, the cunning of a fox, the wisdom of a serpent, and the slipperiness of an eel.
His lordship died in 1716, and passing over his eldest son, Duncan Lord Ormelie, was succeeded by his 2nd son,

JOHN, 2nd Earl.
  • John Campbell, 3rd Earl (1692–1782)
    • Hon Henry Campbell (c. 1721-27)
    • Hon George Campbell (d 1744)
    • John Campbell, Lord Glenorchy (1738–71)

Marquesses of Breadalbane; First creation (1831)

Earls of Breadalbane and Holland (1681; Reverted)

  • John Alexander Gavin Campbell, 6th Earl (1824–71)
  • Gavin Campbell, 7th Earl (1851–1922) (created Marquess of Breadalbane in 1885).

Marquesses of Breadalbane; Second creation (1885)

Earls of Breadalbane and Holland (1681; Reverted)

  • Iain Edward Herbert Campbell, 8th Earl (1885–1923)
  • John Romer Boreland Campbell, 10th and last Earl (1919–95).

TAYMOUTH CASTLE, Perthshire, was the main seat of the Earls of Breadalbane and Holland until 1922.

Built in the neo-Gothic style on a lavish scale, no expense was spared on the castle's interior, which was decorated with extravagant sumptuousness incorporating carvings, plasterwork and murals.

Panels of medieval stained glass and Renaissance woodwork were incorporated into the scheme.

Much of this decor survives, though the castle has lost most of its original rich furnishings.

It has been empty since 1979, although plans have been put forward for its redevelopment as a luxury hotel.


In 1720, the 2nd Earl commissioned William Adam to remodel the house and lay out extensive formal gardens.

The 2nd Earl's son oversaw further changes in the 1750s, and by the 1780s the formal gardens had been replaced with a picturesque landscape.

The 4th Earl called upon Robert Mylne to prepare plans for a new "chateau" in 1789, though they were not carried out.

Ten years later the main block of the old house was demolished, to be replaced from 1806 by a Gothic building to the designs of the brothers James and Archibald Elliot.

The English-Italian Francis Bernasconi carried out the ornate plasterwork of the staircase and drawing rooms between 1809-12.

In 1818, the old east wing was pulled down and replaced by a two-storey wing designed by William Atkinson.

The 2nd Marquess of Breadalbane completed the improvements from 1838, by the remodelling of William Adam's west wing, which was enlarged and refaced to match the main block.

This time the architect was James Gillespie Graham, with interiors designed by A. W. N. Pugin.

The works were complete by 1842, in time for the first visit to Scotland of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, when they stayed at Taymouth for three days.

On the death of the 2nd Marquess, Taymouth passed to a distant cousin, along with the earldom of Breadalbane. The marquessate was re-created for his son Gavin Campbell in 1885.

The family estates were much reduced during his tenure, and on his death in 1922 Taymouth Castle was sold.

It was converted into a hotel, opening in 1929, with an 18-hole golf course designed by James Braid in the grounds.

It was used as a hospital for Polish troops during the 2nd World War; and between 1950-68 it housed the Civil Defence Corps training school for Scotland.

Taymouth was subsequently used by a boarding school for American children.

This closed in 1979 and the building has since lain empty, though the golf course has continued to be operated separately.

In 2004, it was reported that plans to redevelop the castle as a "six-star" hotel had been approved by Perth and Kinross Council.

By 2006, the buildings was weathertight, but work stopped in late 2006, and in 2009 the company restoring Taymouth Castle was declared insolvent.

Following the purchase of the estate by Meteor Asset Management, work re-commenced late in 2010 and, despite financial problems, the restoration was continuing in 2012.

First published in January, 2014.   Breadalbane arms courtesy of European Heraldry.

Thursday, 15 November 2018

Marley Grange

THE ROWLEYS WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY DUBLIN, WITH 3,659 ACRES

The noble family of ROWLEY is of Saxon origin, and was seated at Kermincham, Cheshire, in the reign of EDWARD II, in the person of RANDOLFE DE ROWLEY.

This branch of the family settled in Ireland in the reign of JAMES I.

COLONEL THE HON HERCULES LANGFORD BOYLE ROWLEY JP DL (1828-1904), of Marley Grange, County Dublin, younger son of Hercules, 2nd Baron Langford, High Sheriff of County Meath, 1859, Honorary Colonel, 5th Battalion, Prince of Wales's Own Leinster Regiment, married, in 1857, Louisa Jane, sister of 1st Baron Blythswood, and had issue,
HERCULES DOUGLAS EDWARD, his heir;
Arthur Sholto, 8th BARON LANGFORD;
Armine Charlotte; Gladys Helen Louisa; Evelyn Augusta.
Colonel Rowley was succeeded by his eldest son,

HERCULES DOUGLAS EDWARD ROWLEY JP DL (1859-1945), of Marley Grange, Lieutenant, 5th Battalion, Leinster Regiment, who wedded, in 1884, Agnes Mary, only daughter of A Allen, of Devizes, Wiltshire, and had issue,
Ivy Mabel Armine Douglas, b 1889;
Monica Evelyn Douglas, b 1893.

MARLEY GRANGE, near Rathfarnham, County Dublin, is an important cut-stone two storey high-roofed Victorian house built in the Gothic style ca 1850 in a woodland setting.

The house has gables, dormer gables, plus a tower with a truncated pyramidal roof.

There is a two-storey gate lodge located at the entrance.


Marley Grange is approached through an impressive entrance, via a long tree lined avenue, that leads to a large gravelled forecourt to the front of the house.

The extensive are interspersed with specimen trees, two ornamental ponds, trellis covered sunken pathway enclosing a semi-circular formal garden on the south gable of the house.

There is also a paddock and extensive woodland.

The property is bounded to the east by Three Rock Rovers hockey grounds; to the west by Grange Golf Club; and is beside Marley Park.

The house and estate were sold by the former owners, the McGrane family, in 2000, to the British Embassy in Dublin for £6.4 million.

It was intended to replace the ambassador's residence at Glencairn House.

The house suffered a disastrous fire in 2010.

The estate agents Colliers apparently then agreed sale terms on the ten-bedroom house, which is acknowledged to be one of the few examples of late Victorian Gothic revival architecture in Ireland.

Colliers are understood to have settled for a price close to €2.5 million for the listed building and its 12.4 acres of woodland next to Marley Park, which are owned by the property developer and charity founder Niall Mellon.

The house was unoccupied and uninsured when it was set ablaze in July, 2010.

All that remain of the imposing cut-stone, two-storey, high-roofed structure dating from the 1870s are the walls.

However, because of its architectural and historical significance, the planners are anxious to have it restored to its former glory – a challenging project, which one expert says could cost anything from €1.5 million to €2 million.

Mellon bought Marley Grange from the British Embassy in 2008 after it dropped plans to use it as its ambassadorial residence.

The embassy had previously sold its long term residence Glencairn and its 34-acre grounds in Sandyford in 1999 for security reasons.

The entire property was acquired by Michael Cotter of Park Developments for €35.6 million.

The Foreign Office in London then wished to buy back Glencairn, without its substantial grounds.

Former town residence ~ 8 Cambridge Place, Kensington, London.

First published in May, 2012.

Friday, 9 November 2018

Lohort Castle

THE EARLS OF EGMONT WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY CORK, WITH 16,776 ACRES 
The ancient and illustrious house of PERCEVAL is supposed, by many suggestive circumstances, to take its origin from a younger branch of the sovereign Dukes of Brittany in France; out of which province they were transplanted to Normandy before its conquest, and were invested with the hereditary office of Chief Butlers of that duchy.
GEOFFREY I, Duke of Brittany, had a younger son,

ODO or EUDES, Viscount of Porhoet, at length Duke of Brittany, who a little before the Conquest left issue, by his wife Agnes, among other sons, one named

ROBERT, presumed the same with Robert, Lord of Yvery, the first of his family that settled in England upon the Norman conquest.

*****

DAVID PERCEVAL, Lord of Twickenham, Rolleston, Somerset (lineally descended from Ascelin Gouel de Perceval, who accompanied THE CONQUEROR to England), married Alice, daughter of Thomas Bythemore of Overwere.

He died in 1534, and left issue,
James, dsp 1548;
GEORGE, of whom presently;
Thomas.
The second son,

GEORGE PERCEVAL (1561-1601), Lord of Twickenham, wedded Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Edward Bamfylde, of Poltimore, in Devon; and dying about 1601, left, with a daughter Elizabeth, a son,

RICHARD PERCEVAL (1550-1620). The life of this ultimately successful person was chequered and eventful in no ordinary degree.

He was educated at St Paul's School, then the most celebrated seminary in England, whence he was sent to Lincoln's Inn, to acquire some general idea of the laws, esteemed, in those days, an accomplishment of the highest description.

In both his progress was brilliant, but his conduct dissipated and disorderly, so much so indeed, that he incurred the displeasure of his father, who, upon his marriage with Joan Young, entirely abandoned him, observing, that as he had ruined himself by his riots, he might recover himself by his wits.

Thus unnaturally cast off, Mr Perceval found means, by the credit of his reversionary estates, and the assistance of his friends, to maintain himself several years, during which time he three sons and two daughters: but at length, through a failure of resources, and the increasing expenses of his family, he was obliged to quit the kingdom, and travelled into Spain, where he remained about four years.

Being then informed of his wife's decease, he returned to England, hoping, now that principal cause of his father had been removed, he might again recover his good opinion; but that hope proving delusive.

Having subsequently filled the office of Secretary of the Court of Wards in England, for several years, he was nominated in 1616, Registrar of the Court of Wards in Ireland, where, after obtaining considerable landed property, he died and was succeeded by his son (by his second wife),

SIR PHILIP PERCEVAL (1605-47), Knight, a very distinguished statesman, who, having been actively employed in the government of Ireland for a series of years, obtained grants of forfeited lands there to the extent of 101, 000 acres.

He wedded Catherine, granddaughter of Sir William Usher, Clerk of the Council, and daughter of Arthur Usher by his wife, Judith, daughter of Sir Robert Newcomen, of Moystown, County Longford, and had issue,
JOHN, his heir;
George, father of PHILIP.
Sir Philip was succeeded by his eldest son,

SIR JOHN PERCEVAL, Knight, was created a baronet in 1661, by patent, containing this remarkable clause that, "the eldest son, or grandson, shall exist a baronet, after the age of 21 years, at the same time with the father or grandfather."

His great-grandson,

THE RT HON SIR JOHN PERCEVAL, who, after becoming a privy counsellor, and sitting for several years in the Irish House of Commons, was elevated to the peerage of that kingdom, by patent, in 1715, as Baron Perceval.

His lordship was advanced to a viscountcy, in 1722, as Viscount Perceval, of County Cork, with the annual fee of twenty marks, payable out of the Exchequer, attached, to support the honour.

In 1732, this nobleman obtained a charter to colonise the province of Georgia, in America, and being nominated president thereof; and was further advanced to the dignity of an earldom, in 1733, as EARL OF EGMONT.

LOHORT CASTLE is near Cecilstown, County Cork.

This historic castle is an impressive five-storey fortified tower with rounded corners, standing over eighty feet tall.

The massive walls are ten feet thick at the base, narrowing to six feet.

Around the top storey there is a machicolated parapet that runs unbroken apart for a short section on the eastern side.

There used to be a deep moat around the castle with a drawbridge.

The castle grounds cover more than one hundred acres.

Lohort Castle was built ca 1496 by Donogh Og McDonagh McCarthy.

The castle was taken by the Irish forces during the civil war.

One of the bloodiest battles of the English civil war took place in the grounds of Lohort Castle in 1647, when over 4,500 men were killed in battle.

Lohort was bombarded by Oliver Cromwell's troops in 1650 and captured, but the castle withstood the cannon fire due to the immense strength of its thick walls.

Lohort Castle Gatehouse

The castle as it now stands was rebuilt ca 1750 by Sir John Perceval, 1st Earl of Egmont, and the Percevals lived there until the 20th century, when it was burnt by the IRA in 1922.

Some of the fireplaces from nearby Kanturk Castle appear to have been relocated to Lohort Castle; this was probably done when Lohort Castle was restored in the 18th century.

Lohort subsequently became the home of Sir Timothy O'Brien Bt, a well-known cricketer.

First published in August, 2012.   Egmont arms courtesy of European Heraldry.

Sunday, 4 November 2018

Bantry House

THE EARLS OF BANTRY WERE THE GREATEST LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY CORK, WITH 69,500 ACRES.

The family of WHITE derives its descent from Sir Thomas White, of Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, the founder of St John's College, Oxford, and brother of the  Rt Rev John White, Lord Bishop of Winchester, 1557.

Following the restoration of CHARLES II, Sir Thomas White, of Rickmansworth, settled in Ireland, where he purchased land debentures granted by CROMWELL to his army officers during the civil wars, and had a son,

RICHARD WHITE, of Bantry (who was maternally descended from the Hamiltons of Armagh), who married, in 1734, Martha, daughter of the Very Rev Roland Davis, Dean of Cork, and had issue,
SIMON, his heir;
Hamilton;
Margaret.
Mr White was succeeded by his son,

SIMON WHITE, who married, in 1760, Frances Jane, daughter of Richard Hedges, of Mount Hedges, County Cork, and predeceased his father, leaving issue,
RICHARD;
Simon;
Hamilton;
Edward;
Helen; Martha; Frances.
Mr White died in 1816, and was succeeded by his eldest son,

RICHARD WHITE (1767-1851); who was presented with a gold medal by the city of Cork for his spirited exertions on the arrival of the French forces in Bantry Bay, in 1797.

Mr white was consequently raised to the peerage, in 1797, in the dignity of Baron Bantry; and advanced to a viscountcy, in 1800, as Viscount Bantry.

His lordship was further advanced, in 1816,  to the dignity of Viscount Berehaven and EARL OF BANTRY.

He married, in 1799, the Lady Margaret Anne Hare, eldest daughter of William, 1st Earl of Listowel, and had issue,
RICHARD, 2nd Earl;
WILLIAM HENRY HARE, 3rd Earl;
Simon;
Maria.
His lordship was succeeded by his eldest son,

RICHARD, 2nd Earl (1800-68), who wedded, in 1836, the Lady Mary O'Brien, third daughter and co-heir of William, 2nd Marquess of Thomond; though dsp 1868, when the family honours devolved upon his brother,

WILLIAM HENRY HARE (1801-84), 3rd Earl, who wedded, in 1845, Jane, eldest daughter of Charles John Herbert, of Muckross Abbey, County Kerry, and had issue,
WILLIAM HENRY HARE, his successor;
Elizabeth Mary Gore; Olivia Charlotte; Emily Anne; Ina Maude; Jane Frances Anna.
His lordship assumed, in 1840, the additional name of HEDGES.

He was succeeded by his eldest son,

WILLIAM HENRY HARE, 4th Earl (1854-91), who espoused, in 1886, Rosamund Catherine, daughter of the Hon Edmund George Petre, by whom he had no issue.

His lordship died in 1891, when the titles expired.

*****

THE WHITES had settled on Whiddy Island across the Bay in the late 17th century, after having originally been merchants in Limerick.

The family prospered and considerable purchases of land were made in the area surrounding the house.

After the failure of the 1641 Irish Rising the Cromwellian soldiers were rewarded with grants of land in the Bantry area, the Earl of Anglesey receiving 96,000 acres.

Many of the settlers became disenchanted with the lonely farming life and the lands granted to Lord Anglsey and his officers were bought by a member of the White family.

The Whites engaged in farming, clearance of the forests, iron ore smelting etc and prospered.

The town of Bantry, at the head of the bay, is associated with the Irish rebellion of 1798 as being the place where an earlier attempt to land launch a rebellion was made by a French fleet, including Wolfe Tone in December 1796.

The French fleet consisting of 43 ships carrying 15,000 troops had divided mid-Atlantic into smaller groups to avoid interception by the Royal Navy with orders to reform at Bantry Bay.

The bulk of the fleet arrived successfully, but several ships, including the flagship Fraternit√© carrying General Hoche were delayed.

While awaiting their arrival, bad weather intervened and the lack of leadership, together with uneasiness at the prospect of being trapped, forced the decision to return to France.

Tone wrote of the expedition in his diary, saying that "We were close enough to toss a biscuit ashore".

Richard White, having heard about the invasion had trained a militia to oppose the landing as he and his tenants were loyal to the Crown.

Munitions were stored in Bantry House for safe keeping.

Look-outs were posted on Both Mizen Head and Sheep's Head to send warning of an invasion.

In the end the French armada never had a chance of landing.

The weather was too severe, and even ship to ship communication was too difficult.

Ten ships were lost.

One of these vessels, the Surveillante, remained on the bottom of Bantry bay for almost 200 years.

For his efforts in preparing the local defences against the French, Richard White, a local landowner, was created Baron Bantry in 1797.

A viscountcy followed in 1800 and, in 1816, he was created Viscount Berehaven and EARL OF BANTRY.

He was the grandson of Richard White, who had made an immense fortune through his work as a lawyer.

Lord Bantry was succeeded by his son, the 2nd Earl, who sat on the Conservative benches in the House of Lords from 1854-68.

His younger brother, the 3rd Earl, assumed in 1840 by Royal license the additional surname of Hedges, which was that of his paternal grandmother.

The titles became extinct on the death of his son, the 4th Earl, in 1891.

Egerton Shellswell-White, great-grandson of the 3rd Earl, took over the running of Bantry from his mother in about 1978.

It now comprises one hundred acres, mainly woodland.


BANTRY HOUSE (originally called 'Blackrock'), County Cork, was constructed ca 1740 on the south side of Bantry Bay.

In 1750, Councillor Richard White bought Blackrock from Samuel Hutchinson and changed its name to Seafield.


The main block of the mansion consists of a square, three-storey, five-bay house built about 1740 for the Hutchinson family.

A wing was added on one side later in the 18th century after the House was acquired by Richard White, being the same height as the original block, though only of two storeys with a curved bow at the front and rear; and a six-bay elevation at the side.


In 1845, Richard White,Viscount Berehaven and later the 2nd Earl, enlarged and remodelled Bantry House. He travelled extensively throughout Europe, building an enviable art collection.


The 2nd Earl added the long, fourteen-bay front at the opposite side of the original block to the late 18th century wing, comprising a six-bay centre of two storeys over a basement; and three-storey, four-bay bow-ended wings lined with huge Corinthian pilasters of red brick.

The House is entered through a glazed Corinthian colonnade, similar to the one on the garden front.

The Library, sixty feet long, has four scagliola columns which support the compartmented ceiling.

The Blue Dining-room (below) has life-sized portraits of GEORGE III and Queen Charlotte in sumptuous frames, presented to the 1st Earl by royal command.


The two drawing-rooms feature exquisite French tapestries from the Gobelin, Aubusson and Beauvais workshops brought to Ireland after the French Revolution by the 2nd Earl.

The Aubusson tapestries were manufactured for Marie Antoinette following her marriage to the Dauphin, later LOUIS XVI.

The gardens to Bantry House were developed by the 2nd Earl and his wife Mary.

Inspiration was taken from their travels across Europe.

The gardens contain seven terraces; the house is located on the third.

One hundred steps are located behind the house and are built to appear to rise out of a fountain and are surrounded by azaleas and rhododendron.

The gardens are constantly tended and maintained.

By 1997 the grounds of Bantry House were suffering from neglect in certain places.

A European grant was obtained to start the restoration process. Funding ceased in 2000.

Restoration work continues.

First published in April, 2011.  Bantry arms courtesy of European Heraldry.

Friday, 2 November 2018

Carrigoran House

THE FITZGERALD BARONETS, OF NEWMARKET-ON-FERGUS, WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY CLARE, WITH 14,915 ACRES


This is a very ancient branch of the noble and illustrious race of the GERALDINES, seated at an early period at the castle of Pallas, County Limerick.

Family tradition relates that the descendant of that family and the direct ancestor of the Carrigoran Fitzgeralds was instrumental in saving the life of CHARLES I at the battle of Naseby.

Naseby House, Northamptonshire, was built by the FitzGeralds, lords of the manor of Naseby.

Of the Clare family there were two branches, the representative of one, that of Moigh Castle and Sixmilebridge, namely

COLONEL AUGUSTINE FITZGERALD, who died in 1776, having devised the reversion of his property to his kinsman, of Carrigoran.

The estate of Carrigoran was acquired by EDWARD FITZGERALD, of Rynana, County Clare, in 1667, from Colonel Daniel O'Brien, afterwards the Viscount Clare.

His son and heir,

JOHN FITZGERALD, of Carrigoran, County Clare, married Helen, daughter of Pierce Butler, Viscount Ikerrin; from whom descended,

COLONEL EDWARD FITZGERALD (1738-1814), of Carrigoran, MP for County Clare, 1776-90,  Castlebar, 1790-97, who wedded firstly, in 1762, Rachel, daughter of Standish O'Grady.

Sir Edward was left a large estate by his kinsman, Colonel Augustine FitzGerald, of Sixmilebridge and Silvergrove.

LIEUTENANT-GENERAL SIR AUGUSTINE FITZGERALD (c1765-1834), MP for Clare, 1808-18, Ennis, 1832, who was created a baronet in 1821, denominated of Newmarket-on-Fergus, County Clare.

Sir Augustine espoused Elizabeth, second daughter of Thomas Barton, of Grove, County Tipperary, but died without issue, when the baronetcy devolved upon his brother,

SIR WILLIAM FITZGERALD, 2nd Baronet (c1780-1847), who espoused, in 1805, Emelia Cumming, youngest daughter of William Veale, of Trevaylor, Cornwall, and had issue,
EDWARD, his successor;
Augustine, East India Company, 3rd Baronet;
William Thomas Burton, 4th Baronet;
George Cumming, 5th Baronet;
Emilia Mary; Georgina Mary.
  • Sir William Fitzgerald, 2nd Baronet (c1780-1847);
  • Sir Edward Fitzgerald, 3rd Baronet (1806-65);
  • Sir Augustine Fitzgerald, 4th Baronet (1809-93);
  • Sir George Cumming Fitzgerald, 5th Baronet (1823-1908).
The title became extinct on the death of Sir George Cumming FitzGerald, 5th Baronet, in 1908.

Photo credit: Clare County Library - Bluett Collection

Carrigoran House was the seat of the FitzGerald family in the 18th and 19th centuries.

An earlier house was reputedly destroyed by fire in the late 18th century.

Carrigoran was advertised for sale in 1856.

By the 1880s, the FitzGeralds had acquired the Trevaylor estate in Cornwall.

When Clara, Lady FitzGerald, widow of the last baronet, died in 1922, Carrigoran was sold to the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word.

It was still in use in the 1940s, though was demolished in the 1980s.

Other Seats - Trevaylor, Penzance, Cornwall; Killybegs House, Naas, County Kildare.

London residence ~ 15 King Street, St James's.

First published in May, 2012.