Monday, 31 August 2020

The Rawdon Baronetcy

The illustrious family of RAWDON deduced its pedigree from Paulinus de Rawdon, to whom WILLIAM THE CONQUEROR granted considerable estates by the following deed:-
I, King William, in the third year of my reign, give to Paulinus Rawdon, Hope and Hopetown, with all the boundaries both up and down, from heaven to earth, from earth to hell, for you and your heir to dwell, as truly as this kingdom in mine; for a crossbow and an arrow, when I shall come to hunt on Yarrow; and in token that this thing is true, I bite the white wax with my tooth, before Meg, Maud, and Margery, and my third son, Henry.
This Paulinus, or Paulyn, commanded a band of archers in the Norman invading army, and derived his surname of RAWDON from the lands of that denomination, near Leeds, which constituted a portion of the royal grant.

From this successful soldier lineally sprang (nineteenth in descent), through a line of eminent ancestors,

GEORGE RAWDON (1604-84), only son of Francis Rawdon, of Rawdon, who settled in Ulster, and took an active part, as a military commander, during the Irish rebellion of 1641; and subsequently, until his decease, in 1684, in the general affairs of that Province.

Mr Rawdon was created a baronet in 1665, designated of Moira, County Down.

Sir George married firstly, in 1639, Ursula, daughter of Sir Francis Stafford, of Bradney, Shropshire, and widow of Francis Hill, of Hillhall, by whom he had no surviving issue.

He wedded secondly, in 1654, Dorothy, eldest daughter of Edward, 2nd Viscount Conway, by whom he had,
Edward;
John, a military man; killed in France, 1656;
ARTHUR, his successor;
Dorothy; Brilliana; Mary.
Sir George was succeeded by his eldest surviving son,

SIR ARTHUR RAWDON, 2nd Baronet (1662-95), MP for County Down, 1692, who espoused Helena, daughter and heir of Sir James Graham, and granddaughter of William, Earl of Menteith, and had, with a daughter, Isabella, married to Sir Richard Levinge Bt, an only son,

SIR JOHN RAWDON, 3rd Baronet (1690-1724), MP for County Down, 1717-24, who wedded, in 1717, Dorothy, second daughter of Sir Richard Levinge Bt, Speaker of the Irish House of Commons, by whom he had, with other children, his successor,

SIR JOHN RAWDON, 4th Baronet (1720-93), High Sheriff of County Down, 1749, was elevated to the peerage, in 1750, in the dignity of Baron Rawdon, of Moira, County Down.

His lordship was further advanced to an earldom, in 1762, as EARL OF MOIRA.

His lordship espoused firstly, in 1741, Helena, youngest daughter of John, Earl of Egmont, by whom he had two daughters, Catherine and Helena.

The 1st Earl married secondly, in 1746, Anne, daughter of Trevor, 1st Viscount Hillsborough, by whom he had no issue; and thirdly, in 1752, the Lady Elizabeth Hastings, eldest daughter Theophilus, 9th Earl of Huntingdon, who inherited the baronies of Hastings etc upon the demise of her brother Francis, 10th Earl of Huntingdon, without issue, 1789.

By this last union his lordship had issue,
FRANCIS, his successor;
John Theophilus;
Selina Frances; Charlotte Adelaide Constantia; Anne Elizabeth.
His lordship was succeeded by his eldest son,

FRANCIS EDWARD, 2nd Earl (1754-1826), KG GCB etc, MP for Randalstown, 1781-3, a gallant soldier, an eloquent senator, and a popular statesman, who wedded, in 1804, the Lady Flora Mure-Campbell, suo jure Countess of Loudoun, only daughter of James, 5th Earl of Loudoun, and had issue,
GEORGE AUGUSTUS FRANCIS, his successor;
Flora Elizabeth, Lady of the Bedchamber to HRH The Duchess of Kent;
Sophia Frederica Christina; Selina Constance; Adelaide Augusta Lavinia.
His lordship inherited, upon the demise of his mother, in 1808, the ancient baronies of Hastings, Hungerford, etc; and was created, in 1816, Viscount Loudoun, Earl of Rawdon, and MARQUESS OF HASTINGS.

He had been previously created a peer of Great Britain, 1783, in the dignity of Baron Rawdon, of Rawdon, Yorkshire.

His lordship was succeeded by his eldest son,

GEORGE AUGUSTUS FRANCIS, 2nd Marquess (1808-44), who espoused, in 1831, Barbara, suo jure 20th Baroness Grey de Ruthyn, daughter of Henry, 19th Baron Grey de Ruthyn, and had issue,
PAULYN REGINALD SERLO, his successor;
HENRY WEYSFORD CHARLES PLANTAGENET, 4th Marquess;
Edith Maud; Bertha Lelgarde; Victoria Maria Louisa; Frances Augusta Constance Muir.
His lordship was succeeded by his eldest son,

PAULYN REGINALD SERLO, 3rd Marquess (1832-51), who died unmarried, when the family honours devolved upon his brother,

HENRY WEYSFORD CHARLES PLANTAGENET, 4th Marquess (1842-68), who married, in 1864, the Lady Florence Cecilia Paget, daughter of Henry, 2nd Marquess of Anglesey.

His lordship died in 1868 without issue, when the marquessate expired.

Former seats ~ Donington Hall, Leicestershire; Rawdon Hall, Yorkshire; Loudoun Castle, Ayrshire; Moira, County Down; Montalto, County Down.

First published in March, 2011. Rawdon arms courtesy of European Heraldry.

Hazelwood House

THE WYNNES WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY SLIGO, WITH 12,982 ACRES


This family claims descent from a distinguished chieftain of the 12th century, Rhirid Flaidd, Lord of Penrhyn, Merionethshire, within the ancient kingdom of Powys, who took the surname of Blaidd, or the wolf, from his maternal ancestor, Blaidd Rhudd, or the Bloody Wolf, Lord of Gest, near Penmorfa, Gwynedd, whose standard bore a wolf passant on an azure ground.

LEWIS GWYNNE AP CADWALLADER AP RYDDERCA AP DAVID, of Bala, wedded Sidney, daughter of Robert Wynne, of Maesmochnant, Denbighshire (of the Gwydir family), and had issue,
OWEN;
Cadwallader;
Catherine; Margaret.
The elder son,

OWEN WYNNE
 (c1620-70), the first who settled in Ireland, High Sheriff of counties Leitrim and Roscommon, 1659, married Catherine, widow of James Hamilton, son of Sir Frederick Hamilton, and daughter of Claud, 2nd Baron Hamilton of Strabane, by Lady Jane his wife, fourth daughter of George, Marquess of Huntly, and the Lady Henrietta Stewart, daughter of Esmé, Duke of Lennox, by which lady (who married 3rdly, John Bingham, of Castlebar) he had issue,
James, killed at Malplaquet;
LEWIS, of whom hereafter;
Owen (1665-1737), MP, Lieutenant-General in the army;
John;
Catherine; Lucy; Dorothy.
The second son,

LEWIS WYNNE, married Rebecca, daughter of John Bingham, and was father of

OWEN WYNNE (1687-1756), of Hazelwood, High Sheriff of County Sligo, 1723, Leitrim, 1724, MP for Sligo Borough, 1713-56, who wedded Catherine, daughter of John ffoliot, and had three sons,
James, Susanna, daughter of Sir A Shaen Bt;
OWEN, of whom we treat;
John, died unmarried 1778.
The second son,

THE RT HON OWEN WYNNE (1723-89), of Hazelwood, High Sheriff of County Sligo, 1745 and 1758, MP for County Sligo, 1749-76, Sligo Borough, 1776-89,  espoused, in 1754, Anne, sister of Robert, Earl of Farnham, and had issue,
OWEN, his heir;
John;
Henry;
Robert, of Rathmines Castle;
Richard (Rev);
William, barrister, MP;
Catherine.
Mr Wynne was succeeded by his eldest son,

OWEN WYNNE (1755-1841), High Sheriff of County Sligo, 1819 and 1833, MP for County Sligo, 1778-90, Sligo Borough, 1790-1800, who married, in 1790, the Lady Sarah Elizabeth Cole, eldest daughter of William, 1st Earl of Enniskillen, and had issue,
JOHN ARTHUR;
William Willoughby (Rev);
Anne; Sarah Frances; Elizabeth; Florence.
The eldest son,

THE RT HON JOHN ARTHUR WYNNE JP (1801-65), MP for Sligo, 1830-32, 1856-60, Privy Counsellor, Under Secretary to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, High Sheriff for counties of Sligo and Leitrim, married, in 1838, the Lady Anne Wandesforde Butler, daughter of James, 1st Marquess of Ormonde KP, and had issue,
OWEN;
James;
Sarah; Grace Florence.
The elder son,

OWEN WYNNE JP DL (1843-1910), of Hazelwood, High Sheriff of County Sligo, 1874, Leitrim, 1880, married, in 1870, Stella Fanny, youngest daughter of Sir Robert Gore-Booth Bt, and had issue,
MURIEL CAROLINE LOUISA;
Evelyn Mary; Madeline Mary; Dorothy Adelaide.
Mr Wynne, the last of his family in the direct male line at Hazelwood, was succeeded by his eldest daughter,

MURIEL CAROLINE LOUISA, MRS PERCEVAL, of Hazelwood, who wedded, in 1892, Philip Dudley Perceval, second son of Alexander Perceval, of Temple House, County Sligo, and had issue,

DOROTHY SOPHIE PERCEVAL, born in 1903.



HAZELWOOD HOUSE, near Sligo, County Sligo, is a large Palladian mansion on a peninsula in Lough Gill.

It was designed by the German architect John Cassels and built in 1722 of cut and polished limestone, in an Italian style, with a four storey facade and two lateral curving wings.


The hall door is reached by climbing a flight of stone steps leading onto a spacious platform which offers fine scenic views of the mountains of Leitrim and of North County Sligo. 

The Wynne family were seated at Hazelwood (or Hazlewood) House for three centuries, during which time all the heads of the Wynne household, with only one exception, bore the name of Owen Wynne.

The first occupant of Hazelwood House was Lieutenant-General Owen Wynne.

Hazelwood was the venue for numerous sporting and leisure events through the years, with yacht racing taking place on Lough Gill throughout the 19th Century.

Polo was another popular sport on the Hazelwood Estate; as was shooting, horse racing and rowing.

Owen Wynne died in 1910 at the age of 67 and with no male heir to take over the estates, so too came the end of the Wynne's occupation of Hazelwood House.

After the death of Owen Wynne in 1910, Owen's daughter Murial and her husband, Philip Dudley Percival, lived in Hazelwood House, selling off the livestock and machinery until they left Hazelwood House in 1923.

They still owned extensive lands, including a large estate centred around Lurganboy Lodge, near Manorhamilton in County Leitrim.

Generations of the Wynne family lived in succession in the house.

From 1923 until 1930, Hazelwood House remained empty, after which a retired tea planter called Berridge lived in the house, carrying out repairs and renovations until the house and lands were sold to the Irish state in 1937.

During the 2nd World War and until 1946, Hazelwood House was occupied by the Irish Army; after which the Irish Land Commission put the house up for sale.

Under the terms of the sale however, the buyer was to demolish the house,level the site and remove all the materials.

Later in the same year (1946), Hazelwood House was sold to St Columba's Mental Hospital, who spent some £4,000 repairing the building, using it for a number of years as a home for mental patients.

In 1969, an Italian company called Snia bought Hazelwood House and built a factory to the rear (South) of the house.

Snia had employed up to 500 people producing nylon yarn.

Like many businesses during the recession of the early 1980s, Snia hit on hard times and the factory closed down in 1983.

Four years later, in 1987, the factory and Hazelwood House were sold to the South Korean company Saehan Media who produced video tapes until 2005, when, due to a downturn in business as a result of the digital revolution, Saehan Media, too, closed down with the loss of over 150 jobs.

Foresthaze Developments purchased the estate in 2006, though fell into receivership in 2013.

In 2015, the estate was purchased by David Raethorne, with plans for a whiskey distillery and visitors' centre on the site.

The Lough Gill Whiskey Distillery opened in December, 2019.

Hazelwood House itself remains boarded up and in poor condition.

The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland holds the Wynne Papers.

First published in August, 2011. 

Sunday, 30 August 2020

Londonderry House Ball


CHARLES VILLIERS, A GREAT-GRANDSON OF THE 7TH MARQUESS AND MARCHIONESS OF LONDONDERRY, HAS SENT ME INFORMATION ABOUT A BALL HELD AT LONDONDERRY HOUSE, PARK LANE, LONDON, ON THE 23RD OCTOBER, 1959.

THE BALL WAS HELD FOR LADY MAIRI BURY'S ELDER DAUGHTER, THE HON ELIZABETH MAIRI KEPPEL [ELIZABETH, LADY SUDELEY].

Londonderry House

 A FAMILY SETTING

THE NEXT NIGHT, a starlit night, was also a gay one in Park Lane when Lady Mairi Bury had a coming-out dance for her petite, blonde daughter, the Hon Elizabeth Keppel.

Lady Mairi, in tangerine paper-taffeta and fabulous tiara and necklace of square-cut diamonds and emeralds, stood at the top of the imposing staircase of Londonderry House - her childhood home - to receive her guests.

It was a wonderful setting for a ball, though Lady Mairi told me that she thought Elizabeth might well be the last of the Londonderry family to have a coming-out there.

In the gold-and-white ballroom the gay colours of dresses glowed softly under the chandeliers.

The young men, the Earl of Portarlington, Mr Alexander Cadogan, Mr William Lindsay-Hogg, Mr Paul Channon MP, and the Hon John Jolliffe, found that they had only to walk a few yards from the dance-floor to sit out in rooms hung with fine old paintings.

As Elizabeth is the eldest of her branch of the family, there were many relatives present:-

Her father, Viscount Bury; the Earl & Countess of Albemarle, her cousin the Hon Camilla Jessel, the Dowager Viscountess Chaplin and the Hon Walter & Mrs Keppel.

For the older generation it was an evening of memories - memories of some of the greatest pre-war parties when Prime Ministers and future Prime Ministers argued long after dinner.

The hostess on these occasions was Lady Mairi's mother, the late Dowager Marchioness of Londonderry.

  • Hon Elizabeth Anson 
  • Elizabeth Blakiston-Houston 
  • Hon Sarah Boyle 
  • The Lady Elizabeth Charteris 
  • The Lady Rose Chetwynd-Talbot 
  • The Lady Carey Coke 
  • The Lady Diana Douglas-Home 
  • The Lady Anne, The Lady Mary & The Lady Sarah Fitzalan-Howard 
  • Belinda Guinness
    The Hon Lucinda Lambton
  • The Duke & Duchess of Abercorn 
  • The Viscount & Viscountess Allendale 
  • Lord Annaly 
  • The Earl & Countess of Antrim 
  • Mr Mark & Lady Annabel Birley 
  • The Lady Perdita Blackwood 
  • Viscount Bury 
  • Marquess of Clydesdale 
  • The Earl of Dudley MC 
  • The Marchioness of Dufferin & Ava 
  • The Lord & Lady Glentoran 
  • Colonel & the Hon Mrs Grosvenor 
  • Lt-Cdr & Hon Mrs O King 
  • Raffaele, Duchess of Leinster 
  • Mr & Mrs John Profumo 
  • The Duke & Duchess of Sutherland 
  • The Lord Talbot de Malahide 
  • The Lord & Lady Wakehurst 
  • The Hon Helen Ward 
  • The Dean of Windsor & Mrs Hamilton 
  • Viscount Anson 
  • Paul Channon MP 
  • Viscount Chelsea 
  • The Marquess of Dufferin & Ava 
  • The Lord Dunleath 
  • Viscount Dunluce 
  • The Earl of Gowrie 
  • Marquess of Hamilton 
  • Lord Anthony Hamilton 
  • Viscount Jocelyn 
  • The Lord O'Neill 
  • Andrew & Gavin Perceval-Maxwell 
  • Lord Sudeley 
  • The Viscount Sudeley 
  • The Earl of Suffolk

 Londonderry arms courtesy of European Heraldry. First published in December, 2011.

Saturday, 29 August 2020

Bank Buildings, Belfast

THE BANK BUILDINGS, ONE OF BELFAST'S MOST ICONIC BUILDINGS, WAS ENGULFED BY A CATASTROPHIC FIRE ON THE 28TH AUGUST, 2018.


The Bank Buildings, Castle Place, Belfast, stand between Castle Street to the south, and Bank Street to the north.

The first building on the site (originally part of the grounds of old Belfast Castle) was designed by Robert Taylor and erected by Waddell Cunningham in 1785.

Cunningham, one of Belfast's most prominent business men, opened the premises as a bank in 1787.

Castle Place, Belfast, 1843

Following the bank's collapse in 1789, the building became the episcopal residence of the Lord Bishop of Down and Connor, the Rt Rev Dr William Dickson.

In 1804, it was converted into a shop and, in 1816, the last public execution was carried on its doorstep.

The Northern Banking Company purchased the Bank Buildings in 1825 for use as their head office.

In 1853, William Robertson and Henry Hawkins from Waterford, J C Ledlie from Cork, and Robert Ferguson, of Belfast, established a wholesale drapery firm, which soon became a commercial department store in the city.

The old Georgian edifice was demolished and a four-storey, seven-bay Italianate building of 1855 was erected in its place by Hawkins, Robertson and Co.
The History Hub Ulster has written an article about the history of The Bank Buildings, including a rare image of the second building built in 1855.
W H Lynn designed the new bank buildings in 1900.


He intended it as a bridge to the 20th century, with a compromise between the classical style of the upper part of the building and the great expanse of plate glass below.

Old photographs show a statue directly above the clock, and a coat-of-arms at third floor level.

I contacted the pre-eminent Ulster architectural historian Marcus Patton, OBE, about this, and he remarked:-
"I have a photo of Bank Buildings which I took around 1980 and there is no sign of the statue then, whereas there is a Hogg one perhaps of 1930 which does show it (a couple of winged cherubs holding a torch). 
It could have gone with the bomb damage in 1975 or the subsequent renovations. 
The coat of arms doesn’t show in the Hogg photo so it must have gone early on..."
Photo Credit: Kyle Leyden

In fact Robertson, Leslie, Ferguson and Co were royal warrant holders to Queen Victoria.

Until 1961, only the ground and first floors were used as a retail store, with the remainder of the building taken up by the company’s wholesale warehouse.

In that year, however, the Bank Buildings underwent total renovation.

The new arcade shop front was lighted at night, and a modernised main entrance was added at Castle Place (or Junction, as it was known when trams operated).

The old pillars and showcases on the ground floor were removed.

The Belfast Telegraph announced the ’bold policy of renovation, repair and the moving and improving of entire departments, has brought it into line with the latest Bond Street ideas.

In 1969, the shares of Robertson, Ledlie, Ferguson and Company were sold to the House of Fraser group, whose chairman was Sir Hugh Fraser Bt.

It was hoped at the time that the Bank Buildings would benefit from the knowledge and resources of a large national firm, expanding throughout the United Kingdom.

Robertson, Ledlie, Ferguson and Co, however, continued to operate the store as a subsidiary company, and only four years later, Boots acquired the Bank Buildings when it took over House of Fraser.

On the 9th April, 1975, three bombs exploded in the Bank Buildings.

A huge fire broke out shortly afterwards and damaged parts of the building.

In 1979, the Bank Buildings were taken over by the Dublin-based group Primark.


Within 18 months, the store was totally refurbished and the exterior restored to its 1903 glory.

A catastrophic fire engulfed the Edwardian building at about 11am of the 28th August, 2018.

The blaze lasted for a number of hours, leaving it a roofless, gutless shell.


The interior was cleared of rubble in 2020, and site works are currently being progressed.

First published in August, 2018.

Friday, 28 August 2020

New DL

APPOINTMENT OF DEPUTY LIEUTENANT

Mrs Alison Millar, Lord-Lieutenant of County Londonderry, has been pleased to appoint:
Mr William Oliver
Castlerock
County Londonderry
To be a Deputy Lieutenant of the County, his Commission bearing date, the 29th day of June, 2020.

Lord Lieutenant of the County

1st Baron Baltimore

DEDICATED TO MY AMERICAN COUSINS: THE LATE REAR-ADMIRAL CHARLES McDOWELL, MIMI AND THOMAS VAN POOLE


This noble family was originally Flemish.

From Flanders they transported themselves into the north of England.

LEONARD CALVERT, of Danby Wiske, Yorkshire, son of John Calvert, married Alicia, daughter of John Crosland, of Crosland, in the same county, by whom he had issue, a son,

THE RT HON GEORGE CALVERT (1579-1632), of St Martin's Lane, Westminster, and Kiplin Hall, Catterick, Yorkshire, MP for Bossiney, 1609, Yorkshire, 1621, Oxford University, 1624, who having served as secretary to Sir Robert Cecil, when Secretary of State, and afterwards as Clerk to the Privy Council, received the honour of knighthood, 1617, and was thereafter appointed Secretary of State to the King, who employed him in the most important affairs.

The King granted him large tracts of land in Ireland, and elevated him to the peerage of that kingdom in 1624, in the dignity of BARON BALTIMORE, of Baltimore Manor, County Longford.

Whilst Secretary of State his lordship obtained a grant of the province of Avalon, in Newfoundland, with the most expensive privileges, and expended £25,000 in the settlement thereof.

This place he visited thrice in the reign of JAMES I, but after contending with great spirit against the French encroachments, he was obliged to abandon it altogether. 

Whereupon he obtained from CHARLES I a patent of Maryland to him and his heirs forever, with the same title and royalties as in Avalon, to hold in common socage as of the manor of Windsor, paying yearly, as an acknowledgement to the Crown, to Indian arrows at Windsor Castle, upon Easter Tuesday, and the fifth part of the gold and silver ore.

His lordship did not live, however, to see the grant pass the Great Seal.

He married firstly, in 1604, Anne, daughter of George Mynne, of Hertingfordbury, Hertfordshire, and had issue,
CECIL, his successor;
Leonard, 1st Governor of Maryland;
Francis;
George;
Henry;
John;
Philip, 5th Governor of Maryland;
Anne; Mary; Dorothy; Elizabeth; Grace; Helen.
His lordship was succeeded by his eldest son,

CECIL, 2nd Baron (1605-75), Governor of Newfoundland, Proprietor of Maryland Colony.

The province of Maryland was so named by CHARLES I in the honour of his Queen, HENRIETTA MARIA.

His lordship wedded, in 1627/8, Anne, daughter of the 1st Baron Arundell of Wardour, and had issue, nine children, of whom

CHARLES, 3rd Baron (1637-1715), 8th Governor of Maryland, present at JAMES II's Irish parliament in 1689, was outlawed for high treason in Ireland, although he had never been in that kingdom; but WILLIAM III, upon his lordship's representation, caused the outlawry to be reversed in 1691.

3rd Baron Baltimore (Image: Enoch Pratt Free Library)

He espoused firstly, Mary, daughter of Ralph Darnall; and secondly, ca 1666, Jane, daughter of Vincent Lowe, by whom he had issue,
Cecil (1667/8-81);
BENEDICT LEONARD, his successor.
His lordship married thirdly, Mary Bankes; and fourthly, in 1712, Margaret, daughter of Thomas Charleton.

He was succeeded by his son and heir,

BENEDICT LEONARD, 4th Baron (1679-1715), 10th Governor of Maryland, who had conformed to the established church in 1713, MP for Harwich, 1714-15, who wedded the Lady Charlotte Lee, daughter of Edward, 1st Earl of Lichfield, and had issue,
Benedict Leonard;
Edward Henry;
CHARLES, of whom hereafter;
Cecil;
Charlotte; Jane.
He was succeeded by his eldest surviving son,

CHARLES, 5th Baron (1699-1751), 17th Governor of Maryland, MP for St Germains, 1734-41, Surrey, 1741-51, who espoused, in 1730, Mary, daughter of Sir Theodore Janssen Bt, and had issue,
FREDERICK, his successor;
Caroline; Louisa.
His lordship was succeeded by his only son,

FREDERICK, 6th Baron (1731-71), who died without legitimate issue at Naples, Italy, in 1771, when the title became EXTINCT (his lordship had sold his estates before going abroad to Mr John Trotter, of Soho, London).

*****

The City of Baltimore, Maryland, USA, is named after Cecil, 2nd Baron Baltimore, proprietor of the colony of Maryland.

The Maryland state flag is the un-differenced Arms of Calvert quartering Crossland, a strikingly attractive flag.

The history of the Barons Baltimore is detailed and extensive.

A fuller account can be found here.

Baltimore Arms courtesy of European Heraldry.   First published in April, 2012.

Thursday, 27 August 2020

Carrowdore Castle

THE DE LACHEROIS-CROMMELINS OWNED 1,082 ACRES OF LAND IN COUNTY DOWN

The CROMELLINS, though established in France and possessed of considerable property at Armancourt, Picardy, for more than a century before the revocation of the edict of Nantes, came originally from the Low Countries.

ARMAND CROMMELIN resided on his estate, near Kortrijk (Courtrai) in the reign of CHARLES V; but in consequence of the persecutions of the Protestants by the Duke of Alba, in the reign of PHILIP II, his family left, and his son, JEAN, settled at Saint-Quentin, and became Seigneur de Camas, through his marriage with Marie, daughter of Jacques de Semery,
"Ce marriage fut célèbre à Folembray Château Royal entre Chauny et Coucy, le 17 Déc. 1595, honoré de la présence de Madame Catherine de France sœur du roi HENRY IV, qui y tenoit sa cœur".
Of this marriage were three sons,
PIERRE;
JEAN, of whom presently;
Adrien.
Two of Jean's grandsons, named Jacques and Adrien, received patents of letters of nobility from LOUIS XIV; and others became Seigneurs de Mézières, Senancourt, Armancourt, and De Bersy.

A granddaughter of the latter married the Comte de Stolberg in Prussia in 1733.

The second son of Jean de Camas,

JEAN CROMMELIN (1603-59), wedded Rachel Tacquelet, and died at Saint-Quentin, leaving several children, of whom the eldest,

LOUIS CROMMELIN (1625-69), espoused, in 1648, Marie Mettayer, and had issue, eight children.

At the Revocation, almost all this family fled to Holland; but the following eventually settled in Ulster:-

1.  LOUIS (1653-1727), who established the linen trade in Ulster.

In 1698, Louis, with two brothers and three sisters, and several cousins and members of his family, "was induced" by WILLIAM III to go over to Ulster, where they settled at Lisburn, County Antrim, bringing with them a number of tradesmen and a capital of £20,000 (in excess of £4 million today) with which they established the linen manufacture, which was adopted by the inhabitants, and flourished thereafter.

In consideration of Louis having spent £10,000 on its establishment, His Majesty, who was greatly interested in its success, conferred a pension of £200 a year on his son, on whose early death it was discontinued.

Mr Crommelin wedded, in 1680, his cousin Anne, daughter of Samuel Crommelin; left France in 1685, and settling first at Amsterdam, came to Lisburn in 1698.

He had issue, one son and a daughter: Louis, died at Lisburn, 1711, unm, aged 28; and Magdaleine.

2.  Samuel, twice married and left four sons, of whom all male issue became extinct.

3.  William, wedded Miss Butler, of the Ormonde family, and had a son, Louis, who died unmarried, and a daughter.

4.  Jeane, married Abraham Gillot.

5.  Anne, espoused firstly, Isaac Cousin de Meaux; and secondly, Daniel de la Cherois, by whom she had an only daughter, Marie Angélique Madeleine (who died at Donaghadee, 1771), who wedded Thomas, 5th and last Earl of Mount Alexander, by whom, having no children, she was left all his property, and on her death she left it to be divided between her cousins, Samuel de la Cherois and Nicholas Crommelin.

6.  MARIE, of whom we treat.

The youngest daughter,

MARIE CROMMELIN, wedded firstly, Isaac Testard de Blois; and secondly, Nicholas de la Cherois, Major, and afterwards Lieutenant-Colonel in the regiment of Comte de Marton, under WILLIAM III, and had issue,
SAMUEL, of whom presently;
Madeleine, m her cousin, Daniel Crommelin.
She died in 1706, and was succeeded by her son,

SAMUEL DE LACHEROIS (1700-84), who married, in 1731, Mlle. Sarah Cormiére, and had issue,
Daniel;
Nicholas, 1737-1829;
SAMUEL, of whom presently;
Judith.
The third son,

SAMUEL DE LACHEROIS (1744-1816), assumed, in compliance of the will of his cousin, Nicholas Crommelin, of Lisburn, the additional surname of CROMMELIN.

He espoused, in 1776, Maria, only daughter of the Rev Dr Thomas Dobbs, of Trinity College, Dublin (brother of Conway Dobbs, of Castle Dobbs, County Antrim), and had issue,
NICHOLAS, his heir;
Richard;
Mary; Sarah; Anne; Harriet Judith; Jane Suzanna.
Mr de la Cherois was succeeded by his eldest son,

NICHOLAS DE LACHEROIS-CROMMELIN JP DL (1783-1863), of Carrowdore Castle, County Down, who wedded, in 1810, Elizabeth, second daughter of William, 2nd Baron Ventry, and had issue,
SAMUEL ARTHUR HILL, his heir;
Nicholas, father of
NICHOLAS ANDREW;
William Thomas (Rev);
Anna Sarah; Maria Matilda; Clara Suzanne; Elizabeth Emily.
Mr de la Cherois-Crommelin was succeeded by his eldest son,

SAMUEL ARTHUR HILL DE LACHEROIS-CROMMELIN JP DL (1817-85), of Carrowdore Castle, who married, in 1845, Anna Maria, only daughter of John Graves Thompson, of County Tyrone, and had issue,
Louis Nicholas (1846-69);
Arthur Claude (1856-69);
FREDERICK ARMAND, of whom hereafter;
Lucy Marguerite, died 1881;
MARIA HENRIETTA, of Carrowdore Castle;
CAROLINE ANNA, m R B Shaw; she dsp 1910;
Florence Frances, died 1895;
EVELYN ANGÉLIQUE, of Carrowdore Castle.
Mr de Lacherois-Crommelin was succeeded by his only surviving son,

FREDERICK ARMAND DE LACHEROIS-CROMMELIN JP (1861-1902), of Carrowdore Castle, who espoused, in 1891, Nina, youngest daughter of the Rev Calvert Jones, of Heathfield, Swansea, though dsp 1902.

He was succeeded by his sisters,

MARIA HENRIETTA (1850-1930) and EVELYN ANGÉLIQUE DE LACHEROIS-CROMMELIN, of Carrowdore Castle (jointly with their sister, Mrs Shaw).

CARROWDORE CASTLE, near Donaghadee, County Down, was built in 1818-20 by Nicholas de Lacherois-Crommelin.

This three-storey rubble and brick Georgian-Gothic house was built in a rustic gothic style, with castellations, corner turrets and large projecting tower.

The interior is still largely intact, though some rooms to the rear of the house have been altered in recent times and a large, modern, glazed sun-room has also been added.


The three-storey tower to the south has a Jacobean-Gothic feel and appears to be intact; whilst the similar (but much smaller) three-storey gazebo to the east of the house is now in a ruinous condition.


There is some very graceful Gothic plasterwork fretting on the hall ceiling.

Prior to 1818 there had been a farmhouse on the site which Nicholas de la Cherois's father had used only occasionally, usually as a place to collect rents from his tenants and as a summer residence.

After its completion in 1820, Carrowdore Castle served as Nicholas’s primary residence until 1847, when pressing financial concerns forced him to live at Cushendun, County Antrim, and rent the house to his son Samuel.

The De Lacherois-Crommelin male line came to an end with the death of Samuel’s son, Frederick, in 1902.

The contents of the house were sold the same year and the building itself was leased to a number of tenants before being sold to a Mr McNeill in 1931.

The present owners acquired Carrowdore Castle in 1972 and renovated some of the rooms to the rear, as well as adding the large sun room extension.

About 1992, a new dwelling was constructed a short distance to the south-west.

Since that time Carrowdore Castle has remained largely vacant, save for two ground floor rooms to the south-east which are currently leased to Strangford College.

The outbuildings to the south have been renovated recently and now appear to be used as holiday homes.

Parkland surrounds the house and small blocks of woodland, with a shelter belt beyond.

There is a well planted and manicured ornamental garden to the east of the house, which slopes to a lake.

A stone gazebo terminates the castle battlements.

The layout of the parkland has changed remarkably little from the early 19th century, except for the presence of a modern mansion built south-west of the old house. 


The main entrance gate lodge, a surviving one of two gate lodges, is contemporary with the old house and is notable for a castellated parapet and towers, with a pair of dwellings, which have now been largely demolished.

Carrowdore Castle is the home of Dr Francis Jennings DSc, brother of Shamus Jennings CBE.

First published in January, 2011.

Higginson of Carnalea

THE HIGGINSONS OWNED 81 ACRES OF LAND IN COUNTY DOWN

This family was originally from Leicestershire.

COLONEL EDWARD HIGGINSON (c1636-c1713), of Lisburn (grandson of John Higginson, of Leicester), an officer of Lord Conway's Regiment, settled at Ballinderry, County Antrim, where he built Mosslands House.

He married Mary, daughter of Robert Savage, and had issue,
PHILIP;
THOMAS, of whom hereafter.
 
The elder son,

CAPTAIN PHILIP HIGGINSON (1685-1783), of Mosslands, Ballinderry, married Eleanor Talbot, and was father of

PHILIP TALBOT HIGGINSON (-1819), Lieutenant, 73rd Regiment, who wedded, in 1764, Margaret, daughter of Richard Taylor, by whom he had an only child, JANE, who espoused her cousin, the Rev Thomas Edward Higginson.

Colonel Higginson's younger son,

THOMAS HIGGINSON (-1756), of Mosslands, Ballinderry, settled in County Wexford, and married Mary Colley, and was father of

THE REV DR THOMAS HIGGINSON (1722-89), Rector of Lisburn, Vicar of Ballinderry, who wedded Ann Moore, of Boley, County Wexford, and had issue,
THOMAS EDWARD, his heir;
Eliza, m H Marmion, of Lambeg;
Maria, m J Johnston, of Dublin;
Letitia, m Captain Greydon, HM Dragoons.
Dr Higginson's son and heir,

THE REV THOMAS EDWARD HIGGINSON (1767-1819), Incumbent of Lambeg, espoused, in 1788, his cousin Jane (maternal first cousin of the Earl of Shrewsbury), daughter of Philip Talbot Higginson, Lieutenant, 73rd Regiment, Usher in Court of Exchequer, and had issue,
Thomas Edward, b 1789, lawyer, East India Co; m F Clay; dsp;
Philip Talbot, Capt. Royal Irish Fusiliers; dsp;
HENRY THEOPHILUS, of whom we treat;
Margaret, m Rev Edward Leslie, Rector of Annahilt.
The third son, 

HENRY THEOPHILUS HIGGINSON JP (1798-1869), of Carnalea House, Crawfordsburn, County Down, Captain, Derriaghy Yeomanry, High Sheriff of Carrickfergus, 1849, married, in 1825, Charlotte, only surviving daughter and heiress of John McConnell, of Belfast (son of James McConnell, by Elizabeth his wife, only daughter of Dr Andrew Bogle, of Strabane (one of the claimants of the dormant Earldom of Menteith), by Charlotte his wife, daughter of James Potter, of Mount Potter, County Down), and had issue,
JOHN McCONNELL, of Carnalea;
Thomas Edward (1828-50);
Charles Henry, of New York and Norfolk, Virginia, USA (1830-69);
Theophilus, CB, Colonel, Indian Army (1839-1903);
Henry Talbot (Dr);
Charlotte Potter; Jane; Dorothea Josepha.

Mr Higginson was succeeded by his eldest son,

JOHN McCONNELL HIGGINSON JP (1826-91), of Carnalea House, and Tudor Hall, Holywood, Registrar of the Diocese of Down, Connor & Dromore, who wedded, in 1850, Susan Arabella Gertrude, only daughter of Robert Conry, of Clonahee, County Roscommon, and Lisbrack, County Longford, Captain, 90th Regiment, and had issue,
HENRY HARTLAND, his heir;
Charles William Shaw;
Thomas Edward;
Robert Conry;
Gertrude Arabella; Charlotte Augusta.
The eldest son,

HENRY HARTLAND HIGGINSON (1855-1908), of Carnalea House, Major, 2nd Battalion, North Staffordshire Regiment, wedded, in 1886, Elizabeth Mary, youngest daughter of Andrew Armstrong, of Kylemore, County Galway, and St Andrew's, County Dublin, and had issue,

HENRY CLIVE HIGGINSON (1887-), of Carnalea House, County Down.


I am keen to acquire images of Carnalea House, Crawfordsburn, County Down.

First published in July, 2012.

Wednesday, 26 August 2020

Tyrone House

THE ST GEORGES OWNED 15,777 ACRES OF LAND IN COUNTY GALWAY


CHRISTOPHER FRENCH, of Tyrone, Dunkellin, County Galway (son of Jeffry French, of Mulpitt, County Galway, d 1610), settled his estate in 1675, and died intestate, 1676, leaving issue, by Jane his wife,
ARTHUR, his heir;
Jeffry;
Robert.
The eldest son,

ARTHUR FRENCH, of Tyrone, County Galway, Mayor of Galway, 1691, son of Christopher French, of Tyrone (who died in 1676), left issue by his first wife, Mary, daughter of Sir John Kirwan, two sons,
CHRISTOPHER, his heir;
Julian.
He wedded secondly, in 1691, Sarah, only daughter of Ulick Burke, of Clare, County Galway, and had further issue,
Simon Arthur Hyacinth;
ARTHUR, ancestor of
FRENCH OF CLOONYQUIN;
Jeffry;
Patrick;
Christopher;
Edmund;
Ellen; Jane; Mary; another daughter.
Mr French died in 1712, and was succeeded by his eldest son,

CHRISTOPHER FRENCH, of Tyrone, County Galway, conformed in 1704, who married, in 1699, Margery, third daughter of Ariel Farrell, of Cloonyquin, by Sarah his wife, daughter of Ulick Burke, and had issue,
ARTHUR, his heir;
Patrick;
Christopher;
James;
Jane; Juliane; Sarah; Mary; Margery; Rosa.
The eldest son,

ARTHUR FRENCH, of Tyrone, appellant in the case of French v Caddell in the House of Lords, 1764-5, wedded, in 1736, Olivia, eldest daughter of John Ussher MP, of Carrick, by his wife, the HON MARY ST GEORGE, only daughter and heir of GEORGE, 1st BARON ST GEORGE, of Hatley St George, Cambridgeshire, and had issue,
CHRISTOPHER, his heir;
Olivia; Julia; Nicola.
Mr French died in 1779, and was succeeded by his only son,

CHRISTOPHER FRENCH (1754-1826), of Tyrone, who assumed, in 1774, the surname of ST GEORGE, in compliance with the settlement of his great-grandfather, Lord St George.

He espoused, in 1778, Anne, eldest daughter of Henry Bingham, of Newbrook, County Mayo, and had issue,
ARTHUR, his heir;
Letitia; Olivia.
Mr French was succeeded bu his only son,

ARTHUR FRENCH ST GEORGE (1780-1844), who married, in 1801, the Lady Harriet St Lawrence, eldest daughter of William, 2nd Earl of Howth, and co-heir of her mother, the Lady Mary Bermingham, second daughter and co-heir of Thomas, 1st Earl of Louth, and had issue,
CHRISTOPHER, his heir;
Arthur St George;
Mary; Matilda; Louisa; Anne; Harriet.
Mr St George was succeeded by his eldest son,

CHRISTOPHER ST GEORGE JP DL (1810-77), MP for Galway, 1847-52, who wedded, in 1852, Honoria Kane, and had issue, three daughters,
Katherine; Josephine; Elizabeth.
KATHERINE ST GEORGE and JOSEPHINE BROWNE, co-heirs of Christopher St George, succeeded their father in 1877.

The eldest daughter,

KATHERINE ST GEORGE (d 1934), of Tyrone House, married, in 1874, Robert James Ker St George, grandson of Sir Richard Bligh St George, 2nd Baronet, and had issue,
Richard Christopher Bligh;
Arthur French;
Robert Charles Cecil;
Rosamund Frances Katherine; Gladys Alienora; Josephine.
Entrance Front (Image: Tripadvisor)

TYRONE HOUSE, near Clarinbridge, County Galway, was a Georgian mansion of 1779, built for Christopher French St George, reputedly by the architect John Roberts of Waterford.

It comprised three storeys over a basement, with two bays on either side of a central, three-bay breakfront.

The house had many balustrades, including one at the grand steps leading up to the hall door.

There were prominent quoins at the breakfront and sides.


There were six bays on the garden front.

The Hall was noted for its fine plasterwork.

There was a niche containing a life-size marble statue of Lord St George, surmounted by a baron's coronet.

The St Georges stopped living in the house in 1905.

Sadly, in 1920 Tyrone House was gutted by a malicious fire, and thereafter it became a visitor attraction for people in the neighbouring towns and villages.

Tyrone House (Image: Tripadvisor)

The great mansion house is now ruinous, bereft of its park and woodland.

I'm grateful to Robert O'Byrne ~ the Irish Aesthete ~ for letting me use the coat-of-arms of the St Georges at the top of this article.

He has written a book about Tyrone House.

The O'Neill Baronetcy (1666)

At Killelagh, County Antrim, close to Lough Neagh, there are said to be remains of a castellated building, formerly the seat of a branch of the powerful family of O'Neill. Little is known of its scanty remains, though apparently a part of the walls of its courts and gardens still stand.
Ulster remained firmly in the control of the Clanaboy O'Neills until 1608. The family fought on both sides of the civil wars that racked Ireland from 1642-93. The end result was a significant loss of territory and influence due to political alliances and an influx of new families flowing in from Scotland and England.
NIALL, son of Hugh MacFelim Baccach, had great disputes with Sir Brian MacFelim O'Neill regarding territory.

Niall married and had issue, firstly, Niall Oge of Killelagh; and secondly, Hugh.

NIALL OGE O'NEILL, of Killelagh, son of Niall O'Neill, married and was father of

SIR HENRY O'NEILL (c1625-80), of Edenduffcarrick (Shane's Castle), who married, ca 1655, Eleanor, daughter of Sir William Talbot Bt, and had issue,
NEIL, his heir;
DANIEL, succeeded his brother;
Rose.
During the trouble of 1641, Sir Henry's estate was forfeited.

It was, however, restored in 1665, and he conformed to the established church.

He was created a baronet in 1666, designated of Killelagh, County Antrim.

Sir Henry's son and heir,

SIR NEIL O'NEILL, 2nd Baronet (c1658-90), of Shane's Castle, wedded, in 1677, Frances, daughter of Caryll, 3rd Viscount Molyneux, and had issue, four or five daughters.

Sir Neil boyhood was spent on the shores of Lough Neagh, in and around the townland of Ballyginniff, where an old ruin, beside the Milltown, still marks the spot of his ancestral castle.

In 1678, he inherited the family honours and estates.

In 1688, Sir Neil was in Dublin "concerting measures" with his uncle Richard Talbot, 1st Earl of Tyrconnell; and, in 1689, he was appointed Lord-Lieutenant of County Antrim; about which time he raised a regiment of dragoons, numbered the 11th, in the service of JAMES II.

He served with his regiment at the siege of Londonderry.

At the battle of the Boyne, Sir Neil, at the head of his regiment, defended "with great gallantry" the passage over that river at Slane.

On this occasion, Sir Neil was severely wounded in the thigh and he died soon afterwards at Waterford, having followed the king to that city.
He was interred at the Franciscan Priory in Waterford, having died in July, 1690, aged 32.

Sir Neil O'Neill (Image: The Tate Gallery)

Sir Neil left his family unprovided for.

However, in 1703, his estates at Killelagh and Kilmakevit - including 19 townlands - were sold at Chichester House in Dublin.

He left no male heir but was succeeded in the title by his only brother,

SIR DANIEL O'NEILL, 3rd Baronet, who wedded, ca 1690, Mary, daughter of Sir Gregory Byrne Bt, and had issue, an only child, Eleanor, who married Hugh O'Reilly.

The title and estates were forfeited by a posthumous act of attainder in 1691.

On petitioning the government, Sir Neil's widow was granted a 41-year lease on the Killelagh estate in 1700, which she sold the following year.

Lady O'Neill died in 1732.

First published in March, 2011.