Friday, 31 December 2021

Castlewellan

EDITED EXTRACTS FROM THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF IRELAND, PUBLISHED IN 1846


CASTLEWELLAN, a small market and post town in the parish of Kilmegan, barony of Upper Iveagh, County Down.

It stands on the road from Newry to Downpatrick.

The beauty, symmetry, and pretending bulk of this village, with its market-house and spire [the spire was removed ca 1846]; the stirring and prosperous aspect of two bleaching establishments in an adjacent valley on the north-west; the richly planted hills which close up the environs in the direction of Clough.

Prospect from The Square, Castlewellan (Image: William Alfred Green)

The superb grounds of CASTLEWELLAN DEMESNE, in the opposite direction, with its profuse plantations, and the spheric cone of its beautiful Gothic temple*; and the melting of this demesne into the instant and grand perspective of the Mourne mountains; render the village and its environs one of the most magnificent and imposing scenes in the county.

The mills of the two bleach-yards are turned by a stream which issues from a lake in Castlewellan demesne; and about twenty years ago, they annually finished 7,000 or 8,000 pieces of linen.

A weekly market is held for the sale of linen yarn and agricultural produce; and fairs are held on February 1st, May 1st, June 1st, September 1st, November 13th, and the Tuesday before Christmas.

Click on image to enlarge

Castlewellan mansion is the seat of the EARL ANNESLEY; its appendages are a lodge, a Gothic temple, and a farmyard; its demesne comprehend 400 or 500 acres of hill and dale, and so richly combine artificial ornament, practical utility, and natural landscape, as to present to tourists uniqueness in blending with power and beauty.

Its views, especially from the vantage ground on which the temple stands, are such, says Mr Atkinson, as "can only be tasted with rapture by that eye through which the majesty of Nature communicates itself a silent eloquence to the imagination."

The ancestor of the Earl Annesley was created Baron Annesley, of Castlewellan, in 1758.

The Temple, Castlewellan demesne, ca 1855 (Image: Ulster Architectural Heritage Society)

*THE TEMPLE, formerly on the site of the present mansion house, was demolished in 1855.

Its demeanour was perhaps akin to similar buildings in Tollymore Park and Hillsborough.

The late Peter Rankin, who wrote Historic Buildings in the Mourne Area of South Down for the Ulster Architectural Heritage Society in 1975, dates it to ca 1820.

6th Marquess of Londonderry

THE MOST HON CHARLES STEWART MARQUESS OF LONDONDERRY, KG etc,
GRAND MASTER OF THE MOST ILLUSTRIOUS ORDER OF ST PATRICK,
LORD LIEUTENANT OF IRELAND, 1886-89


Staunchly Conservative and Unionist, of noble birth and great wealth, the 6th Marquess of Londonderry was an obvious choice as Viceroy of Ireland for the Prime Minister, Lord Salisbury. 

The office of Viceroy (Lord Lieutenant) - the very personification of the Sovereign - brought with it the highest position in Irish society.

The viceregal emolument in 1887 was £12,000 per annum (£120,000 in today's money). 

The Lord Lieutenant naturally felt obliged to entertain in the form of banquets, balls, receptions and other activities.

The young Lord Londonderry, aged 34,  accepted the offer promptly, though he stipulated that he would leave office after the customary three years owing to family and business commitments.

Lord Londonderry's portrait (top) can be viewed in the State Dining-room of Dublin Castle, dressed in his uniform as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.

It has been said that most Viceroys preferred to live at Viceregal Lodge in Phoenix Park, County Dublin, rather than at the Castle in central Dublin.

In the portrait he wears the sky-blue mantle of the Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick, as its Grand Master. 

The Garter sash is worn, as are the breast stars of the Garter and St Patrick.

Lord Londonderry was MP for County Down between 1878-84. On 3 August 1885 his name was legally changed to Charles Stewart Vane-Tempest-Stewart by Royal Licence.
  • Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, 1886-89;
  • Knight Companion, Order of the Garter, 1888;
  • One of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, 1892;
  • Deputy Lieutenant, County Durham;
  • Deputy Lieutenant, Montgomeryshire;
  • Justice of the Peace, County Durham;
  • Postmaster-General, 1900-02;
  • Knight Grand Cross, Royal Victorian Order, 1903;
  • Lord President of the Council, 1903-05;
  • Mayor of Durham, 1910.
6th Marquess at Coronation of EDWARD VII

Lord Londonderry's County Down seat was Mount Stewart, near Newtownards, County Down.

His town residence was Londonderry House, Park Lane.

He died at his County Durham seat, Wynyard Park, in 1915.

First published in September, 2011.

Thursday, 30 December 2021

Mount Bellew House

THE GRATTAN-BELLEW BARONETS OWNED 10,516 ACRES OF LAND IN COUNTY GALWAY

This family springs from a common ancestor with the BARONS BELLEW, of Barmeath Castle.

MICHAEL BELLEW, of Mount Bellew, County Galway, married Jane, daughter of Henry Dillon, and had issue,
CHRISTOPHER DILLON, his heir;
Mary Catherine. 
Mr Bellew died in 1797, and was succeeded by his son,

CHRISTOPHER DILLON BELLEW (1763-1826), of Mount Bellew, who wedded, in 1794, Olivia Emily, only daughter of Anthony, 4th Baron Nugent of Riverston, and had issue,

MICHAEL DILLON BELLEW (1796-1855), of Mount Bellew, who espoused, in 1816, Helena Maria, daughter of Thomas Dillon, of Dublin, and had numerous issue, of whom
CHRISTOPHER, his heir;
Thomas Arthur, father of 3rd Baronet.
Mr Bellew was created a baronet in 1838, designated of Mount Bellew, County Galway.

He was succeeded by his eldest son,

THE REV SIR CHRISTOPHER BELLEW, 2nd Baronet (1818-67), a Catholic priest, whose brother,

THOMAS ARTHUR BELLEW (1820-63), married, in 1858, Pauline, daughter of the Rt Hon James Grattan MP, and had issue,
HENRY CHRISTOPHER, his heir;
Mary Helena.
Mr Bellew added the name and arms of GRATTAN in 1859.

He was succeeded by his son,

HENRY CHRISTOPHER GRATTAN-BELLEW (1860-1942), of Mount Bellew, who, succeeding his uncle as 3rd Baronet, wedded, in 1885, the Lady Sophia Maria Elizabeth Forbes, daughter of George, 7th Earl of Granard, and had issue,
Herbert Michael, 1886-1906;
CHARLES CHRISTOPHER;
William Arthur;
Thomas Henry;
Arthur John (Sir), Knight, CMG;
Helena Barbara; Moira Jane; Angela Mary.
Sir Henry was succeeded by his eldest surviving son,

SIR CHARLES CHRISTOPHER GRATTAN-BELLEW, 4th Baronet (1887-1948), MC, who wedded, in 1923, Maureen Peyton, daughter of Sir Thomas George Segrave, and had issue,
HENRY CHARLES, his successor;
Deirdre Maureen.
Sir Charles, Lieutenant-Colonel, King's Royal Rifle Corps, was succeeded by his son,

SIR HENRY CHARLES GRATTAN-BELLEW, 5th and present Baronet, born in 1933, who married firstly, in 1956, Naomi, daughter of Dr Charles Cyril Morgan; secondly, in 1967, Gillian Hulley; and thirdly, in 1978, Elzabe Amy, daughter of Henry Gilbert Body.

By his second wife he had issue,
PATRICK CHARLES, b 1971;
Deirdre Sophia, b 1967.
Photo credit: Dr Patrick Melvin & Eamonn de Burca

MOUNT BELLEW HOUSE, Mount Bellew Bridge, County Galway, was a house of mainly late-Georgian style.

It was remodelled ca 1820 by Christopher Dillon Bellew.

Mount Bellew comprised a three-storey centre block, with a single-bay entrance front.

The central block had a Venetian window at the top storey of the centre block.

It boasted a notable library which was said to have held one of the finest collections of books during its era.


Mount Bellew was sold about 1938 and subsequently demolished.

The Grattan-Bellews owned a further 10,593 acres in the Queen's County, and 1,895 in County Roscommon.

First published in March, 2016.

1st Duke of Warwick

DUKEDOM OF WARWICK
1445-46

Amongst the most eminent Norman families in the train of WILLIAM THE CONQUEROR was that of BEAUCHAMP, and amongst those that shared most liberally in the spoils of the Conquest.

HUGH DE BEAUCHAMP, the companion in arms of the victorious Norman, who obtained grants to a very great extent from his triumphant chief, as he appears, at the general survey, to be possessed of large estates in Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire, and Bedfordshire, was the founder of this illustrious house in England.

This Hugh had issue,
Simon;
Payne;
WALTER, of whom we treat;
Milo;
Adeline.
The third son,

WALTER DE BEAUCHAMP, of Elmley Castle, Gloucestershire, having married Emeline, daughter and heiress of Urse d'Abetot, Constable of the castle of Worcester and Hereditary Sheriff of Worcestershire, was invested with that office by HENRY I, and obtained a grant from the same monarch of all the lands belonging to Roger of Worcester, with a confirmation of certain lands given to him by Alice, widow of his father-in-law, the said Urse.

Walter de Beauchamp was succeeded by his son,

WILLIAM DE BEAUCHAMP (c1105-70), who, for his zeal in the cause of the Empress Matilda, was dispossessed of Worcester Castle by KING STEPHEN, to which, and all his other honours and estates, however, he was restored by HENRY II; and in that monarch's reign, besides the sheriffdom of Worcestershire, which he enjoyed by inheritance, he was Sheriff of Warwickshire, Sheriff of Gloucestershire, and Sheriff of Herefordshire.

He espoused Maud, daughter of William de Braose, and was succeeded at his decease by his son,

WILLIAM DE BEAUCHAMP, who married Joanne, daughter of Sir Thomas Walerie; and dying before the thirteenth year of KING JOHN's reign, was succeeded by his son,

WALTER DE BEAUCHAMP, Governor of Hanley Castle, Worcestershire.

The family line carried on uninterruptedly to

WILLIAM DE BEAUCHAMP (1237-98), who inherited not only the feudal Elmley from his father, but had previously derived from his mother the Earldom of Warwick (originally possessed by the Newburghs) and the Barony of Hanslape.

This eminent nobleman, a distinguished captain in the Welsh and Scottish wars of EDWARD I, wedded Maud, daughter and co-heiress of Richard FitzJohn, and had surviving issue,
GUY, his successor;
Isabella; Maud; Margaret; Anne; Amy.
William de Beauchamp, 9th Earl of Warwick, was succeeded by his son,

GUY, 10th Earl (c1272-1315), so called in memory of his celebrated predecessor, the Saxon, Guy, Earl of Warwick.

This nobleman acquired high military renown in the martial reign of EDWARD I, distinguishing himself at the battle of Falkirk, for which he was rewarded with extensive grants of lands in Scotland.

He married Alice, daughter of Ralph de Toeni, of Flamsted, Hertfordshire, and had issue,
THOMAS, his successor;
John;
Maud; Emma; Isabella; Elizabeth; Lucia.
His lordship died at Warwick Castle, and was succeeded by his son, but two years of age,

THOMAS, 11th Earl (c1313-69), KG, who sustained, in the brilliant reign of EDWARD III, the high military renown of his illustrious progenitor, and became distinguished in arms almost from his boyhood.

He wedded Katherine, daughter of Roger Mortimer, 1st Earl of March, and had issue,
Guy;
THOMAS, his successor;
Reinbrun;
John;
Roger;
Hierom;
Maud; Philippa; Alice; Joan; Isabel; Margaret; Agnes; Juliana; Katherine.
The 11th Earl, one of the original Knights of the Garter, was succeeded by his eldest son,

THOMAS, 12th Earl (1338-1401), KG, one of the principal opponents of RICHARD II, who espoused Margaret, daughter of William, 3rd Baron Ferrers of Groby, and had issue,
RICHARD, his successor;
Katherine; Margaret; Katherine; Elizabeth.
His lordship was succeeded by his only son,

RICHARD, 13th Earl (1382-1439), KG, who married firstly, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas, 5th Lord Berkeley, and had issue, three daughters,
Margaret; Eleanor; Elizabeth.
He wedded secondly, Isabel, daughter and eventually heiress of Thomas, 1st Earl of Gloucester, and had issue,
HENRY, his successor;
Anne.
His lordship was succeeded by his only son,

HENRY, 14th Earl (1425-46), KG, who, before he had completed his nineteenth year, tendered his services for the defence of the Duchy of Aquitaine, was created, in 1444, PREMIER EARL OF ENGLAND; and his lordship obtained, at the same time, permission for himself and his heirs to wear a golden coronet in the presence of the King and elsewhere.

Soon afterwards, in 1445, he was advanced to the dignity of a dukedom, as DUKE OF WARWICK, with precedence immediately after the Duke of Norfolk, and before the Duke of Buckingham; which extraordinary mark of royal favour so displeased the latter nobleman that an Act of Parliament was subsequently passed to appease his jealousy, declaring that the two dukes should take place of each other alternately year about, but with precedency of the first year to the Duke of Warwick.

After which His Grace had a grant in reversion of the death of the Duke of Gloucester, of the Channel Islands for the annual rent of a rose; also the Hundred and Manor of Bristol, and all the royal castles and manors in the Forest of Dean.

His Grace was crowned, by the King himself, KING OF THE ISLE OF WIGHT.

The 1st Duke married, in the lifetime of his father, but when ten years old and then styled Lord Despencer, Cecily, daughter of Richard Richard Nevill, jure uxoris 5th Earl of Salisbury, by whom he had an only daughter, ANNE.

His Grace died aged 22, when the Dukedom (and the male line of this branch of the Beauchamps) expired, but his other honours devolved upon his daughter,

ANNE, 15th Countess of Warwick (1443-48), then but two years old, who was committed to the guardianship first of Queen Margaret, and afterwards of William de la Pole, Duke of Suffolk.

Anne dying, however, a few years later, the honours of the illustrious house of BEAUCHAMP reverted to the young Countess's aunt,

ANNE, 16th Countess of Warwick (1426-92), wife of Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury; and her husband was subsequently created EARL OF WARWICK, the celebrated Kingmaker.

Ancestral seat ~ Warwick Castle, Warwickshire. Town House ~ 32 St James's Square.

First published in October, 2017.

Wednesday, 29 December 2021

Markethill

EDITED EXTRACTS FROM THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF IRELAND, PUBLISHED IN 1846


MARKETHILL, a small market and post town in the parishes of Mullaghbrack and Kilclooney, barony of Lower Fews, County Armagh.

It stands on the road from Armagh to Newry.

Main Street, Markethill (Image: Ebay)

The surrounding country, though minutely subdivided into small holdings, is remarkable for the comfortable appearance of its cottages, the snug condition of its little farms, and the very improved, and, in some respects, peculiar state of its agriculture; the last, in a great measure, the result of the spirited and enlightened exertions of MR BLACKER, the land agent of LORD GOSFORD and COLONEL CLOSE.

Nearly three miles west of the town, and forming a conspicuous feature in an extensive landscape, is the remarkable hill called Vicar's Cairn, whose summit has an altitude of 814 feet above sea-level.

In the vicinity of the town is Draper's Hill [in Gosford Forest Park], celebrated in the writings of DEAN SWIFT.


Immediately adjacent to the town on the north and east, and to a certain extent closely and warmly sheltering it, is the handsome demesne of GOSFORD CASTLE, the seat of Lord Gosford, the proprietor of the town.

The present mansion was built only three or four years ago, and is a large edifice,  in the early style of castellated baronial architecture.

Bryandrum Cottage adjoins the east side of the demesne; and other small seats are in the neighbourhood.

The town has a bridewell [prison], a neat court-house, a good inn, and several well-built houses.

The bridewell is quite new, has sufficient accommodation for the wants of the district, and is kept in a very clean and good condition.

Markethill is the station of the staff of the county militia, and the seat of a court of quarter-sessions, and a fortnightly court of petty-sessions.

Fairs are held on the third Friday of every month.

1st Earl of Gosford

THE EARLS OF GOSFORD WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY ARMAGH, WITH 12,177 ACRES

The founder of this noble family in Ulster,

ARCHIBALD ACHESON (1583-1634), descended from a good family in Scotland, was seated at Gosford, Haddingtonshire, previous to his settlement in the Province, where we find him in 1610.

Sir Archibald Acheson, 1st Baronet
(Image: Scottish National Portrait Gallery)

In the following year he had passed patent for a large proportion of land in County Armagh, and at the same time his younger brother, Henry, passed patent for a smaller proportion in the said county, which lands he afterwards assigned to Sir Archibald.

Mr Acheson returned to Scotland and there died unmarried.

He was "so steady and zealous a friend" of the protestant interest in Ulster that seven years after he obtained this grant (according to the survey made by Nicholas Pynnar) he had 203 men upon his estate capable of bearing arms.

In 1612, he obtained another grant from JAMES I of a small proportion of land in County Cavan containing 1,000 acres.

Mr Acheson was created a baronet of Nova Scotia in 1628, designated of Market Hill, County Armagh.

In 1630 Sir Archibald obtained, in conjunction with Pierce and Walter Crosbie, a tract of land in Nova Scotia, Canada, called Bonavia.

He was also Solicitor-General, a Senator of Justice, and many years Secretary of State for Scotland, which latter office he continued to fill until his decease in 1634.

He died at Letterkenny, County Donegal, at his nephew's house, Sir William Semple, Knight.

Sir Archibald was succeeded in the title and estates by his eldest son,

SIR PATRICK ACHESON, 2nd Baronet (c1611-38), at whose decease, without issue, the title devolved upon his half-brother,

SIR GEORGE ACHESON, 3rd Baronet (1629-85), High Sheriff of County Armagh, 1655-6, who was succeeded by his only son,

SIR NICHOLAS ACHESON, 4th Baronet (c1655-1701), MP for County Armagh, 1695-9, High Sheriff of County Armagh, 1695, who wedded, in 1676, Anne Taylor, and had issue,
ARTHUR, his successor;
Alexander;
Nichola Anne.
Sir Nicholas was succeeded by his eldest son,

SIR ARTHUR ACHESON, 5th Baronet (1688-1749),  High Sheriff of County Armagh, 1728, MP for Mullingar, 1727-48, who wedded, in 1715, Anne, daughter of the Rt Hon Philip Savage, Chancellor of the Exchequer in Ireland, and had issue,
Nicholas;
Philip;
ARCHIBALD, his successor;
Nichola; Anne.
Sir Arthur was succeeded by his eldest surviving son,

SIR ARCHIBALD ACHESON, 6th Baronet (1718-90), High Sheriff of County Armagh, 1751, who was elevated to the peerage, in 1776, in the dignity of Baron Gosford, of Market Hill, County Armagh; and advanced to a viscountcy, 1785, as Viscount Gosford.

His lordship married, in 1740, Mary, youngest daughter of John Richardson, of RICHHILL CASTLE, County Armagh, and had issue,
ARTHUR, his successor;
Anna Maria; Nicolas; Julia Henrietta;
Lucinda; Mary.
Sir Archibald was succeeded by his eldest son,

ARTHUR, 2nd Viscount (c1745-1807), who was advanced to the dignity of an earldom, in 1806, as EARL OF GOSFORD.

Arthur, 1st Earl of Gosford (Image: The National Trust, Florence Court)

His lordship espoused, in 1774, Millicent, daughter of Lieutenant-General Edward Pole, and had issue,
ARCHIBALD, his successor;
Edward, CB, lieutenant-colonel in the army;
Olivia, m Brigadier R B Sparrow, of Brampton Park;
Mary, m Lieutenant-General Lord William Bentinck GCB;
Millicent, m Rev J H Barber MA.
 His lordship was succeeded by his only son,

ARCHIBALD, 2nd Earl (1776-1849), GCB, PC, Governor of Canada, MP for County Armagh, 1797-1807, Lord-Lieutenant of County Armagh, 1831-49, who married, in 1805, Mary, only daughter of Robert Sparrow, of Worlingham Hall, Suffolk, and had issue,
ARCHIBALD, his successor;
Mary; Millicent French.
His lordship was succeeded by his son,

ARCHIBALD, 3rd Earl (1806-64), KP, MP for County Armagh, 1830-47, Lord-Lieutenant of County Armagh, 1864, who wedded, in 1832, the Lady Theodosia Brabazon, only daughter of John, 10th Earl of Meath, of KILRUDDERY HOUSE, and had issue,
ARCHIBALD BRABAZON SPARROW, his successor;
Edward Archibald Brabazon, Major-General in the army);
Mary; Gertrude Emily; Ruthanne; Edith; Katherine French.
His lordship was succeeded by his eldest son,

ARCHIBALD BRABAZON SPARROW, 4th Earl (1841-1922), KP, Lord-Lieutenant of County Armagh, 1882, who wedded, in 1876, the Lady Louisa Augusta Beatrice Montagu, second daughter of William, 7th Duke of Manchester, KP, of TANDRAGEE CASTLE, County Armagh, and had issue,
ARCHIBALD CHARLES MONTAGU BRABAZON, his successor;
Patrick George Edward Cavendish;
Alexandra Louise Elizabeth; Mary; Theodosia Louisa Augusta.
His lordship was succeeded by his eldest son,

ARCHIBALD CHARLES MONTAGU BRABAZON, 5th Earl (1877-1954), MC, DL, who espoused firstly, in 1910, Caroline Mildred, daughter of John Ridgely Carter, and had issue,
ARCHIBALD ALEXANDER JOHN STANLEY, his successor;
Patrick Bernard Victor Montagu;
Patricia; Camilla Mildred Nicola; Mary Virginia Shirley.
He married secondly, in 1928, Beatrice, daughter of Arthur Clafin.

His lordship was succeeded by his elder son,

ARCHIBALD ALEXANDER JOHN STANLEY, 6th Earl (1911-66), who married firstly, in 1935, Francesca Augusta Maria, daughter of Francesco Cagiati, and had issue,
CHARLES DAVID ALEXANDER JOHN SPARROW, his successor;
Francesca Georgina Caroline; Isabella Augusta.
He wedded secondly, in 1960, Cynthia Margaret, daughter of Henry Cave West.
His lordship was succeeded by his son,

CHARLES DAVID ALEXANDER JOHN SPARROW, 7th and present Earl (1942-), who married, in 1983, Lynette Redmond.

The heir presumptive is the present holder's first cousin, Nicholas Hope Carter Acheson (b 1947), eldest son of the Hon Patrick Bernard Victor Montagu Acheson (1915–2005), second son of the 5th Earl.

The Earls of Gosford owned 6,417 acres of land in County Cavan.


GOSFORD FOREST PARK, near Markethill, County Armagh, is one of the most beautiful demesnes in Northern Ireland.

There are woodland and forest walks; the walled garden; and a caravan and camping site within the park.



Gosford Castle is one of the largest houses in Northern Ireland.

The estate was sold to the NI Government shortly after the 2nd world war. 

The mansion was restored between 2006-8 and has been divided into a number of apartments.

The Gosford Papers are deposited at PRONI.

Former town house ~ 105, Harley Street.

First published November, 2009. Gosford arms courtesy of European Heraldry.

Tuesday, 28 December 2021

Terenure House

THE SHAW BARONETS OWNED 996 ACRES OF LAND IN COUNTY DUBLIN

CAPTAIN WILLIAM SHAW (c1651-1734), of Hampshire, son of Captain William Shaw, fought at the battle of the Boyne, 1690, an officer in Colonel Michelburn's foot regiment, was father of

RICHARD SHAW (1673-1729), of Ballinderry, County Tipperary, who married, in 1696, Judith, daughter of Edward Briscoe, and was father of

ROBERT SHAW (1698-1758), of Sandpits, County Kilkenny, who wedded, in 1736, Mary, daughter of Bernard Markham, and had issue,
William;
Thomas;
ROBERT, of whom presently;
Rebecca.
The youngest son,

ROBERT SHAW (1749-96), of Terenure, County Dublin, a merchant in Dublin, Accountant-General of the Post Office, espoused firstly, Mary, daughter of William Higgins, of Higginsbrook, County Meath, and had issue,
ROBERT, his heir;
Bernard;
Ponsonby;
Thomas;
John;
Mary; Charlotte.
Mr Shaw married secondly, Priscilla Cecilia, daughter of Colonel Robert Armitage, and had further issue,
George;
Lees;
Caroline; Sylvia.
The eldest son,

ROBERT SHAW (1774-1849), of Bushy Park, County Dublin, High Sheriff of County Dublin, 1806, MP for Dublin City, 1804-26, Colonel, Royal Dublin Militia, wedded firstly, in 1796, Maria, daughter of Abraham Wilkinson, of Dublin, and had issue,
ROBERT, his successor;
FREDERICK, 3rd Baronet;
Beresford William;
George Augustus (Rev);
Charles;
Charlotte; another daughter.
He espoused secondly, in 1834, Amelia, daughter of Dr Benjamin Spencer, of Bristol.

Mr Shaw was created a baronet in 1821, designated of Bushy Park, County Dublin.

He was succeeded by his eldest son,

SIR ROBERT SHAW, 2nd Baronet (1796-1869), DL, who died unmarried, and was succeeded by his next brother,

THE RT HON SIR FREDERICK SHAW, 3rd Baronet (1799-1876), Privy Counsellor, MP for Dublin, 1830-32, Dublin University, 1832-48, Recorder of Dublin, who espoused, in 1819, Thomasine Emily, daughter of the Hon George Jocelyn, and had issue,
ROBERT, his successor;
George, Major-General;
Frederic;
Edward Wingfield;
Wilkinson Jocelyn;
Thomasine Harriot; two other daughters.
Sir Frederick was succeeded by his eldest son,

SIR ROBERT SHAW, 4th Baronet (1821-95), DL, High Sheriff of County Dublin, 1848, Lieutenant-Colonel, Dublin Militia, who married, in 1852, Catherine Grace, daughter of William Barton, and had issue, a son and successor,

SIR FREDERICK WILLIAM SHAW, 5th Baronet (1858-1927), DSO JP DL, of Bushy Park, Terenure, County Dublin, Lieutenant-Colonel, Royal Irish Regiment, who wedded, in 1885, Eleanor Hester, daughter of Major Francis Horatio de Vere, and had issue,
ROBERT DE VERE, his successor;
Frederick Charleton;
Annie Kate; Mary Margaret; Grace Eleanor; Eily de Vere.
Sir Frederick was succeeded by his eldest son,

SIR ROBERT DE VERE SHAW, 6th Baronet (1890-1969), MC, who espoused, in 1923, Dorothy Joan, daughter of Thomas Cross, and had issue.


TERENURE HOUSE, County Dublin, is a noble 18th century house, comprising a five-bay front between two curved bows.

There are urns on the pediment.

There is a three-bay pedimented breakfront and a pillared porch.

In 1671, Major Joseph Deane, an officer in Cromwell’s army, purchased Terenure from Talbot for £4,000.

Major Deane, grandfather of the Rt Hon Joseph Deane MP, converted the castle into a mansion and his family held the property until 1789, when most of the land was sold to Abraham Wilkinson, of Bushy Park, County Dublin.


In 1785, Terenure House was leased to Robert Shaw, Accountant-General of the Post Office and a great-great uncle of George Bernard Shaw.

His son, Sir Robert Shaw, 1st Baronet, MP and Lord Mayor of Dublin, acquired the property, which was purchased for him by his father-in-law, Abraham Wilkinson, of Bushy Park, County Dublin.

Mr Wilkinson had already acquired much of the Terenure Estate in 1791.

He added almost 100 acres to the demesne and presented it, along with £10,000, to his only child Maria on her marriage to Robert Shaw, Junior.

Following the death of his father, Shaw came into possession of Terenure House and he sold it, about 1806, to Frederick Bourne, the proprietor of a stage coach business.

The Bournes occupied Terenure House until 1857, and during this period the estate was renowned for its magnificent landscaping, the planting in the grounds, and the extent and content of the glasshouses.

In 1860, the property was purchased by the Carmelite Order, which opened as a secondary school for boys.

From time to time extensions have been added and a fine church was built in 1958.

First published in August, 2018.

Stuart Hall Album

I am indebted to those who send me old pictures of Northern Ireland's great heritage.

STUART HALL is a worthy example.

It gives me great pleasure to post these old images.

The Earls Castle Stewart were the second-greatest landowners in County Tyrone (after the Dukes of Abercorn), with 32,615 acres in the 1870s.

Lord and Lady Castle Stewart still live in the estate. 
Stuart Hall was built about 1760.


It was originally a three-storey Georgian block with a pillared porch, joined to an old tower-house by a 19th century Gothic wing.

The top two storeys of the main block were later removed, giving it the appearance of a Georgian bungalow.

The mansion house was burnt by the IRA in July, 1972, and subsequently demolished.


A bungalow was built on the site in 1987.

Stuart Hall was actually larger than it appeared from the entrance front, due to high basement or storey to the rear.
Paul Wood has kindly sent me some old photographs taken by his grandfather, William Homewood, who used to travel with the family to Ireland and Scotland.

His grandmother told him that the people (in the photos) were very kind.

It is thought that the gamekeeper's wife was the housekeeper.
They are ca 1919-22. Paul Wood's mother was brought up at Old Lodge on the estate.

I'm afraid I don't know the names of the gamekeeper and his wife.
I have written at length about STUART HALL near Stewartstown in County Tyrone.
First published in November, 2010.

Monday, 27 December 2021

The Knight of Kerry

THE KNIGHTS OF KERRY OWNED 5,372 ACRES OF LAND IN COUNTY KERRY

THE KNIGHT OF KERRY is the lineal descendant and representative of MAURICE FITZJOHN, third son of JOHN FITZGERALD, 1ST BARON DESMOND, by Honora, his second wife, daughter of Hugh O'Connor, of Kerry.

SIR MAURICE BUIDHE FITZJOHN was created Knight of Kerry either by EDWARD III after the Battle of Halidon Hill, or by virute of his father's status as a Count Palatine, on the 19th July, 1333.

He had issue,
RICHARD, of whom presently;
Robert.
The elder son,

RICHARD FITZMAURICE, 2nd Knight, was father of

MAURICE FITZRICHARD, 3rd Knight, who married, in 1382, Margaret de Courcy, and had issue,
EDMOND, 4th Knight;
NICHOLAS, 5th Knight;
John;
Gerald;
David;
Richard.
The second son,

NICHOLAS FITZMAURICE, 5th Knight, Bishop of Ardfert ca 1408, had issue,
James;
JOHN CAOCH, his successor.
The younger son,

JOHN CAOCH, 6th Knight, was father of
MAURICE, his successor;
Nicholas;
Richard;
Edmond;
Gerald;
James;
Patrick.
The eldest son,

MAURICE FITZJOHN, 7th Knight, was father of

JOHN FITZMAURICE, 8th Knight, Bishop of Ardfert, 1495, father of

WILLIAM FITZJOHN, 9th Knight, who wedded Una, daughter of Edmond, 9th Baron Kerry, and had issue,
JOHN, his successor;
Richard;
William;
Gibbon;
Oliverus;
a daughter.
The eldest son,

JOHN FITZGERALD, 10th Knight, espoused Shile, daughter of Donal O'Sullivan More, and had issue,
WILLIAM, his successor;
Maurice;
Patrick;
Gerald;
Una; Helen; Elinor.
The 10th Knight died in 1595, and was succeeded by his eldest son,

WILLIAM FITZGERALD, 11th Knight, who married Margaret, daughter of Thomas Tobin, and had issue,
JOHN, his successor;
William;
Patrick;
Maurice;
Ellen.
The 11th Knight died in 1640, and was succeeded by his eldest son,

JOHN FITZGERALD, 12th Knight, who wedded Katherine, daughter of Thomas, 16th Baron Kerry, and had issue,
Patrick;
JOHN, of whom hereafter;
Thomas;
Edmond;
Elinor; Juliana.
The 12th Knight was succeeded by his eldest surviving son,

JOHN FITZGERALD, 13th Knight, who espoused Honora, daughter of Connor, 2nd Viscount Clare, and had issue,
MAURICE, his successor;
John;
Daniel;
Thomas;
Elinor; Katherine; Honora.
The 13th Knight was succeeded by his eldest son,

MAURICE FITZGERALD, 14th Knight, who wedded Elizabeth, daughter of David Crosbie, and had issue,
JOHN, his successor;
ROBERT, 17th Knight of Kerry;
Jane; Honora; Bridget; Anne; Margaret; Marion; Mary; Barbara; Lucy.
The 14th Knight died in 1729, and was succeeded by his eldest son,

JOHN FITZGERALD, 15th Knight (1706-41), MP for Dingle, 1728-41, who espoused, in 1732, Margaret, daughter of the Rt Hon Joseph Deane, Chief Baron of the Irish Exchequer, and had issue,
MAURICE, his successor;
Elizabeth.
The 15th Knight was succeeded by his son,

MAURICE FITZGERALD, 16th Knight (c1734-79), MP for Dingle, 1761-76, who wedded, in 1764, the Lady Anna Maria FitzMaurice, daughter of William, 2nd Earl of Kerry, though the marriage was without issue, and the family honours reverted to his uncle,

ROBERT FITZGERALD, 17th Knight (1717-81), MP for Dingle, 1741-81, who married firstly, in 1746, Lucy, daughter of John Leslie; secondly, in 1752, Catherine, daughter of Thomas FitzGerald, 18th Knight of Glin; and thirdly, in 1770, Katherine, daughter of Launcelot Sandes, by whom he had issue,
Robert (1772-99);
MAURICE, of whom presently;
Mary.
The surviving son,

THE RT HON MAURICE FITZGERALD, 18th Knight (1774-1849), JP, DL, MP for County Kerry, 1794-1831, espoused firstly, Elenor, daughter of Thomas FitzEdmond; and secondly, in 1801, Maria, daughter of the Rt Hon David La Touche, by whom he had issue,
Robert;
Maurice;
David;
Robert;
Brinsley;
PETER GEORGE, of whom presently;
Stephen Edward;
Elizabeth Emily; Maria; Gertrude; Catherine.
The 18th Knight was succeeded by his eldest surviving son,

PETER GEORGE FITZGERALD, 19th Knight (1808-80), JP DL, High Sheriff of County Kerry, 1849, County Carlow, 1875, who wedded, in 1838, Julia, daughter of Peter Bodkin Hussey, and had issue,
MAURICE, his successor;
Robert John;
Peter David;
Brinsley John Hamilton;
Mary Emily Frances; Emily; Frances Caroline; Katherine;
Elizabeth Ann; Julia Emma Isabella; Eileeen Gertrude.
The 19th Knight of Kerry was created a baronet, in 1880, designated of Valentia, County Kerry.

He was succeeded by his eldest son,

SIR MAURICE FITZGERALD, 2nd Baronet and 20th Knight (1844-1916), CVO JP DL, Captain, The Rifle Brigade, Equerry to HRH The Duke of Connaught, who married, in 1882, Amelia Catherine, daughter of Henri Louis Bischoffsheim, and had issue,
Arthur Maurice, died in infancy;
JOHN PETER GERALD MAURICE, his successor;
ARTHUR HENRY BRINSLEY, successor to his brother;
Louise Nesta Pamela.
Sir Maurice was succeeded by his eldest son,

SIR JOHN PETER GERALD MAURICE FITZGERALD, 3rd Baronet and 21st Knight (1884-1957), MC, Major, Royal Horse Guards, who espoused, in 1919, the Lady Mildred Murray, daughter of daughter of Charles, 7th Earl of Dunmore, though the marriage was without issue, when the family honours devolved upon his brother,

SIR ARTHUR HENRY BRINSLEY FITZGERALD, 4th Baronet and 22nd Knight (1885-1967), Captain, the Irish Guards, ADC to two field-marshals and the Governor of Bombay, who wedded, in 1914, Mary Eleanor, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Francis William Forester, and had issue,
John Brinsley (1914-43), killed in action;
GEORGE PETER MAURICE, of whom hereafter;
Mary Finola.
Sir Arthur was succeeded by his younger son,

SIR GEORGE PETER MAURICE FITZGERALD, 5th Baronet and 23rd Knight (1917-2001), MC, Major, the Irish Guards, who married, in 1939, Angela Dora, daughter of Captain James Rankin Mitchell, and had issue,
ADRIAN JAMES ANDREW DENIS, his successor;
Rosanna.
Sir George was succeeded by his son,

SIR ADRIAN JAMES ANDREW DENIS FITZGERALD, 6th Baronet and 24th Knight of Kerry (1940-), of Cappoquin, County Kerry, and 16, Clareville Street, London, Mayor of Kensington and Chelsea, 1984-5.

Ancestral seats ~ Glanleam House, Valentia Island, County Kerry; Ballinruddery House, Listowel, County Kerry; Rahinnane Castle, Dingle, County Kerry.

First published in June, 2019.

Malin Hall

THE HARVEYS OWNED 12,212 ACRES OF LAND IN COUNTY DONEGAL


JAMES HARVEY, or HERVY, was presumably son of CAPTAIN GEORGE HARVEY, who had a confirmation of arms and grant of crest, 1602, for this confirmation was afterwards in his (James's) possession, and then in the possession of Robert, his fourth son, and was in the possession of George Miller Harvey, DL, of Malin Hall, a descendant.

James Harvey was a lessee under Lieutenant George Gale, of Dunmore, and his son, George Gale, of Dunmore.

His name is written "James Hervy" in a chancery bill dated 1673.

James Harvey died in 1667, having had issue, four sons,
David, of Dunmore;
John, of Imlick;
James;
ROBERT, of whom we treat.
The fourth son of the above James Harvey or Hervy, of Dunmore,

ROBERT HARVEY, of Londonderry, a storekeeper during the siege of Derry, 1688, High Sheriff of that county, 1696, married and had issue,
JOHN, of whom hereafter;
Samuel, of Londonderry;
Sarah.
The elder son,

JOHN HARVEY, of Londonderry, married, in 1685, Martha Rankin, stepdaughter of Captain Michael Browning, of the merchant ship Mountjoy, and had issue,
John;
Robert.
He wedded secondly, Jane (d 1706), daughter of Richard Godsalve, of Rigmaden, Lancashire; and thirdly, in 1706, Elizabeth (d 1708), daughter of Alexander Lecky, Alderman and Mayor of Londonderry, High Sheriff, 1677.

Mr Harvey espoused fourthly, Elizabeth, daughter of Colonel Henry Hart, of Kilderry, Inishowen, by Anne his wife, daughter of SIR TRISTRAM BERESFORD Bt, by whom he had (with other issue),
GEORGE, of whom presently;
Henry;
Thomas (Rev).
He was succeeded by his eldest son,

GEORGE HARVEY (1713-73), High Sheriff of County Donegal, 1754, who acquired a considerable estate in the manor of Malin, Inishowen, and built Malin Hall.

Mr Harvey married, in 1740, his cousin, Elizabeth, daughter of Colonel George Hart, of Kilderry, and had issue,
JOHN, his heir;
George Hart, dsp;
George;
Thomas;
Ludford (Sir), knighted 1813;
Mary Anne; Elizabeth; Mary Anne; Alice; Anne.
The eldest son,

THE REV JOHN HARVEY (1742-94), of Malin Hall, wedded, in 1766, Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Young, of Culdaff, and had issue,
George, dsp;
George, dsp;
ROBERT, his heir;
Edward;
John;
Thomas;
Henry;
William;
Mary Anne.
The eldest surviving son,

ROBERT HARVEY (1770-1820), of Malin Hall, High Sheriff of Sounty Donegal, 1804, married, in 1801, Barbara Frances, eldest daughter of ROBERT GAGE, of Rathlin Island, County Antrim, and had issue,
JOHN, his heir;
Robert;
George;
Gardiner;
Mary; Marianne; Barbara; Susan; Catherine.
Mr Harvey was succeeded by his eldest son,

JOHN HARVEY JP DL (1802-68), of Malin Hall. High Sheriff of County Donegal, 1836, who espoused, in 1831, Emily, daughter of the Rev Dr George Miller, of Armagh, and had issue,
Robert (1833-55);
GEORGE MILLER, his heir.
The son and heir,

GEORGE MILLER HARVEY JP DL (1838-1919), of Malin Hall. High Sheriff of County Donegal, 1870, married, in 1864, Julia Mary, daughter of William Charles Gage, of Drummond House, County Londonderry, and had issue,
JOHN, his heir;
Mary Gage; Julia Emily.
Mr Harvey was succeeded by his son and heir,

JOHN HARVEY (1865-1940), of Malin Hall, who wedded, in 1895, Florita, eldest daughter of J Digby O’Donoghue, of Montevideo, and had issue,
Julia Mary, b 1896;
Emily Georgina, b 1898;
Dora (1903-68).

MALIN HALL, near Clonca, County Donegal, is a two-storey, early 18th century house of 1758 with a five-bay front, the door-case having pilasters and entablature.

The range to the rear has a curvilinear gable.

Malin Hall (Image: Buildings of Ireland)

Malin Hall had been lived in continuously by the Harveys since they built it in 1758 until 1973, when it was sold by George Miller Harvey.

Ian Harvey, born in 1947, left agricultural college in 1966 and lived at Malin Hall, farming the 250 acre estate until its sale seven years later.

First published in August, 2012.

Sunday, 26 December 2021

Mussenden Temple Revived

Mussenden Temple (Image: By D LN, Wikipedia)

As part of the students' National Diploma at Northern Regional College, Ballymoney, County Antrim, they have researched and created a "3D" graphical reconstruction of Mussenden Temple, 
DOWNHILL DEMESNE, County Londonderry, as it is looked around the early 1800s.

Below is a short, three-minute video clip providing us with a flavour of how the interior of the Temple might have appeared two centuries ago.


The interior of the Temple afforded exquisite beauty and grandeur, with copious gilding and elegant plasterwork.

A broad path and wall originally existed in front of the Temple.

OS map of ca 1830

The cliff has been receding to the extent that, in the late 1990s, bolts and anchors were inserted into the rock in order to stablilize the cliff face.

Downhill is a property of the National Trust.