The elder son,
He was sheriff of Northumberland during the greater part of that reign, and was a principal commander in the battle fought near Alnwick, wherein the Scottish army sustained a signal overthrow.
This nobleman was succeeded by his son,
WILLIAM DE VESCI, who first espoused Isabel, daughter of William Longespée, Earl of Salisbury; and secondly, Agnes, eldest daughter of William Ferrers, Earl of Derby; and in right of the latter had a share of those lands assigned to him in Ireland, belonging to William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke.
He died in 1253, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
JOHN DE VESCI, who was summoned to parliament as Baron Vesci, in 1264.
His lordship dsp in 1289, and was succeeded by his brother,
WILLIAM DE VESCI, who was summoned to parliament in 1295, and was one of the competitors for the crown of Scotland during the reign of EDWARD I.
This nobleman was Justice in Eyre for all the royal forests beyond Trent, and one of the Justices-Itinerant touching the pleas of the forest, Governor of Scarborough Castle, and Lord Justice of Ireland, where he was Lord of Kildare.
His lordship died in 1297, leaving an only daughter, Isabel; and the male line of his family was continued by his brother,
THOMAS DE VESCI, who settled in Newlands, Cumberland, where the family continued until his descendant,
WILLIAM VESEY, having the misfortune to kill his antagonist in a duel, fled into Scotland, whence he removed to Ireland, in the reign of ELIZABETH I.
He wedded a daughter of the family of Ker of Cessford, and was succeeded by his only son,
THE VEN THOMAS VESEY, Archdeacon of Armagh, 1655; whose son and heir,
THE MOST REV JOHN VESEY (1638-1716), was consecrated Lord Archbishop of Tuam.
This learned prelate, who was thrice one of the Lords Justices of Ireland, left issue,
Agmondisham, ancestor of the Earls of Lucan;
John, in holy orders;
Mary; Elizabeth; Anne.
THOMAS VESEY (c1668-1730), who was created a baronet in 1698.
This gentleman, subsequently taking holy orders, was consecrated Lord Bishop of Killaloe in 1713, and translated to the see of Ossory in the following year.
His lordship wedded Mary, only surviving daughter and heir of Denny Muschamp, of Horsley, Surrey, Muster-Master-General of Ireland, and his wife, Elizabeth, eldest daughter of the Most Rev Michael Boyle, Lord Archbishop of Armagh, by whom he had issue, two daughters, and a son,
SIR JOHN DENNY VESEY, 2nd Baronet, who was elevated to the peerage, in 1750, by the title of Baron Knapton.
His lordship espoused, in Elizabeth, daughter of William Brownlow MP, of Lurgan, County Armagh, by Lady Elizabeth Hamilton, his wife, daughter of the 6th Earl of Abercorn, and had issue,
THOMAS, his successor;
Elizabeth; Anne; Jane.
THOMAS, 2nd Baron (1735-1804), who was created, in 1776, VISCOUNT DE VESCI, of Abbey Leix.
His lordship married, in 1769, Selina Elizabeth, eldest daughter and co-heir of the Rt Hon Sir Arthur Brooke Bt, of Colebrooke, County Fermanagh, by whom he had issue,
JOHN, his successor;
Arthur, in holy orders;
Selina, m Andrew Nugent, of Portaferry.
JOHN, 2nd Viscount (1771-1855), of Abbey Leix, who wedded, in 1800, Frances Letitia, daughter of the Rt Hon William Brownlow, of Lurgan, County Armagh, by whom he had issue,
THOMAS, his successor;
THOMAS, 3rd Viscount (1803-75),
- John Robert William Vesey, 4th Viscount (1844–1903);
- Yvo Richard Vesey, 5th Viscount (1881–1958);
- John Eustace Vesey, 6th Viscount (1919–83);
- Thomas Eustace Vesey, 7th Viscount(b 1955).
In a Country Life article of 1991, entitled ‘Abbeyleix, County Laois ...’, the late John Cornforth provided a short but still serviceable account of Vesey family history, largely based on the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland list of the de Vesci papers as it then stood:
... The Veseys first appeared in Ireland in the second quarter of the 17th century and, like a surprising number of families, rose through service in the Church of Ireland. The first of them, the Venerable Thomas, ended up as Archdeacon of Armagh in 1655 and died in 1662.In 1995, the 7th and present Lord de Vesci sold Abbey Leix and most of the demesne (excluding, however, the part which went with Knapton).
Both his sons followed him into the Church, the elder one, John, becoming Archbishop of Tuam [in 1679], a Privy Councillor and a Lord Justice of Ireland. Three of the Archbishop’s five sons also entered the church, with Thomas, the eldest, being made a baronet [in 1698] and a bishop [in 1713], in his father’s lifetime. He had the foresight to marry, [in 1699, Mary Muschamp], the granddaughter of an even more distinguished Archbishop, Michael Boyle, who was both Primate [1678-1702] and Lord Chancellor [1665-85]. ...
Through this marriage, Sir Thomas Vesey acquired the Abbeyleix estate, which was given to the couple as Mary’s marriage portion, by her father, Denny Muschamp. Muschamp was a tax farmer and land speculator as well as adviser to his father-in-law, Archbishop Boyle, and he became involved in Abbeyleix in 1675 through buying the rest of a 99-year Crown lease from the trustees of the will of Sir Edward Massey, an act that immediately led to litigation with the trustees and the beneficiaries of the will. That, together with other complications, led to a series of claims and counter-claims that caused the case to drag on until 1769. ...
The purchasers were Sir David Davies, an Irish-born and based international banker and businessman, and his wife, Linda, whose ‘spectacular restoration’ of the house carried forward the de Vesci tradition of improvement and was the subject of an article by Jeremy Musson entitled ‘Abbeyleix, County Laois ...’, published in Country Life on the 24th July, 2003.
However, later in 1995, agreement was reached for the sale of the latter to the National Library of Ireland, where it is now made more easily and widely accessible by the publication of the present catalogue.
Thomas Eustace Vesey, 7th and present Viscount de Vesci (b 1955) is managing director of Horticultural Coir Limited.
ABBEYLEIX HOUSE is a seven-bay, three-storey over basement with dormer attic Classical-style country house, begun 1773, with a pedimented breakfront having a cut stone Doric door-case to the ground floor.
Five-bay elevation to garden front with breakfront having cut sandstone doorcase and Wyatt style window openings to flanking bays.
Two-bay single-storey wing to west, renovated ca 1840, with façade enrichments added.
It was extended to the west, post-1902, comprising a seven-bay single-storey wing with breakfront having three-bay advanced centre bay. Balustraded forecourt of ca 1840, to the north.
Formal gardens, post-1839, to south comprising series of artificial terraces with balustrades, flights of steps and ha-has.
The house is set within a landscaped demesne approached by gravel drive; balustraded formal courtyard to Entrance Front with gravel drive and grass centrepiece; group of formal gardens to Garden Front including series of artificial terraces with balustrades, flights of steps and rubble stone ha-has; pond to sheltered garden to south-west.De Vesci arms courtesy of European Heraldry. First published in December, 2011.