This family is derived from the same stock as was the celebrated divine, DR THOMAS TENISON, advanced, in 1694, from the bishopric of Lincoln to the archiepiscopal see of Canterbury.
RICHARD TENISON, DD (1642-1705), born at Carrickfergus, County Antrim (eldest son of Major Thomas Tenison, one of the sheriffs of the town of Carrickfergus, 1645), was stated to have been a cousin of the said Primate.
He entered Trinity College, Dublin, in 1659, of which he eventually became Vice-Chancellor.
Dr Tenison was appointed to the deanery of Clogher in 1675; and, in 1681, he was consecrated Lord Bishop of Killala and Achonry, from which see he was translated, successively, to those of Clogher and of Meath, of which latter diocese he died in 1705, having had issue,
HENRY, MP for Monaghan, 1695, and for Louth, 1703;CAPTAIN THOMAS TENISON, the third son, married Alice, daughter of the Rev William Mosse, rector of Maryborough, Queen's County, by whom he had issue,
RICHARD, MP for Dunleer, 1715;
THOMAS, of whom we treat;
THOMAS;Captain Tenison died in 1764, and was succeeded by his only son,
Mary Jane; Ann.
THOMAS TENISON, born ca 1730, MP for County Monaghan, 1780, who wedded, in 1758, Mary Anne, second daughter of Colonel John Daniel Degennes, of Portarlington, Queen's County, where he resided for some years afterwards at Rosefield, County Monaghan.
By her he had issue,
THOMAS, his heir;His only son,
Frances, died unmarried.
THOMAS TENISON, of Castle Tenison (now Kilronan Castle), MP for Boyle in 1792, and afterwards lieutenant-colonel in the Roscommon Militia, married firstly, in 1803, the Lady Frances Anne King, daughter of Edward, 1st Earl of Kingston, and by her had issue,
THOMAS, his heir;He wedded secondly, Mary Anne, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Coore, of Scruton, Yorkshire, and by her had an only daughter, Thomasine Sophia, who espoused Robert Saunderson, of County Cavan.
EDWARD KING, successor to his brother.
Mr Tenison died in 1835, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
THOMAS TENISON, of Castle Tenison, who died a bachelor at Florence, Italy, in 1843, and was succeeded by his brother,
LIEUTENANT-COLONEL EDWARD KING-TENISON JP DL (1805-78), of Kilronan Castle, who wedded, in 1838, the Lady Louisa Mary Anne Anson, eldest daughter of Thomas William, Earl of Lichfield, and had issue, two daughters,
Louisa Frances Mary, b 1868;
FRANCES MARGARET CHRISTINA.
FRANCES MARGARET CHRISTINA KING-TENISON (1845-1907), of Kilronan Castle, espoused, in 1872, Henry, 8th Earl of Kingston.
It was built in the early 19th Century and replaced a house near the site of the present outbuildings.
The entrance to the earlier house was by the short avenue later used as the farm yard entrance.
The new building was a three storey, three bay symmetrical castellated block, with slender corner turrets or minarets.
The rooms were well proportioned and there was delicate fan vaulting plaster-work on the stairs and landing.
Isaac Weld visited the place in the late 1820s and referred to the castle as a spacious and costly modern built edifice of three storeys in height, in form nearly square with a round minaret tower at each angle; the whole embattled at the summit.
This was the castle to which Lady Louisa came to make her home.
The castle was extended by the 8th Earl of Kingston in 1876, with a five-storey over basement baronial tower and battlements.
During the Edwardian period, Lord and Lady Kingston enjoyed the estate until political and social change saw the closure and sale of Kilronan.
Kilronan Castle, although furnished, was seldom occupied.
In 1939, the contents of the castle were sold by auction.
Eventually the Irish Land Commission acquired the property.
Kilronan Castle is now a hotel.
First published in April, 2012.