EDWARD MICHAEL, his heir.
Bernard John (Rev);
James Hamilton, Admiral;
ROBERT EDWARD, his heir;
ROBERT EDWARD WARD JP DL (1818-1904), of Bangor Castle, High Sheriff of County Down, 1842, who espoused, in 1857, Harriette, daughter of the Hon and Rev Henry Ward, Rector of Killinchy, brother of the 3rd Viscount Bangor, and had issue, an only child,
ARTHUR MAURICE ROBERT, 6th Baron;
John Denis Yelverton;
Edward Barry Stewart, Rear-Admiral, VC;
Hugh Terence de Burgh;
Henry Derrick Thomas;
George Roderick Bentinck;
Richard Gerald Ava;
Harriette Ierne Maude; Emily Ina Florence; Eleanor Clare Alice.
The old demesne contained a succession of manorial houses, all on different sites, and each associated with different landscape phases.
These gardens were described by Harris in 1744 in his "The Ancient & Present State of the County of Down" as being
filled with noble evergreens of a great size, cut in various shapes, among which is an evergreen oak, which, though it grows as a shrub in most other places here is a tall tree, and of considerable girth.Loudon, writing in 1844, noted that in 1835 there was a large mulberry tree here, probably also of early date.
The house started to fall into decay by at least the 1720s.
It was still present in 1752, when Pococke described it as
"very indifferent", and noted that in the grounds ‘the spruce fir, the ilex, bays, hollies & other evergreens , planted at first chiefly in the flower garden are grown to be very fine forest trees.Luckombe considered it a ‘low moderate structure’ in 1779; but in the 1790s it had been replaced by a ‘very elegant house’, located on a new site just north of the present mansion.
Built by Michael Edward Ward (1789-1832), son of Robert Ward and grandson of the 1st Viscount Bangor, this new house (second mansion) was in the Gothic style with a square plan and narrow east wing; and with detached offices further east down-slope.
This building and its surrounding contemporary landscape park are depicted in an engraving dated 1832 in Proctor’s Belfast Scenery in Thirty Views; this shows that the house had crenellated parapets, with a mixture of pointed and square-headed windows with hood mouldings and octagonal corner turrets, the main entrance apparently lying on the north side.The mansion was flanked by park lawns dotted with clumps and isolated trees, all enclosed with screens, belts and woodlands, the whole boasting fine views over Belfast Lough.
His father’s Gothic mansion, which lay a short distance to the north, was demolished in 1853 once the new house had been completed.
An adjacent stable block, which is incorporated into the house, but built in a more serious medieval style, may be the work of Anthony Salvin, the great English architect.
This stable range is now home of the heritage centre.
There was a fernery on the north outside wall of the garden; presently this is breeze-blocked to prevent vandals gaining access (accessible from the potting shed).
These trees are protected by older mature parkland trees.
This grassed area south of the house contains a small rockery, family memorials and paths, including ‘My Lady’s Walk’.
Bangor Castle became the Town Hall in 1952 and the grounds opened to the public as Castle Park.
For further reading, the Ward Papers are deposited at the PRONI.
The first Council meeting was held there almost exactly 100 years after the building - now known as the town hall - was first completed.
It was designed by Cheal’s Nurseries, who won a competition to plan the layout.
It is formal and includes a 1st World War memorial.
First published in February, 2011.