Monday, 12 September 2016

The Hamilton Baronetcy (1662)

Clanbrassil Arms
THE HAMILTON BARONETCY, OF MONELLA, WAS CREATED IN 1662 FOR SIR HANS HAMILTON MP

JOHN HAMILTON  (c1576-1639), of Coronary, County Cavan, and of Monella (Hamiltonsbawn), County Armagh, next brother of James Hamilton, created Viscount Claneboye in 1662, married, in 1617, Sarah, daughter of Sir Anthony Brabazon, Governor of Connaught, and had issue,
HANS, his heir;
Francis, of Tullybrick;
James, of Bailieborough;
Mary; Eleanor.
The eldest son,

THE RT HON SIR HANS HAMILTON, Knight, of Hamiltonsbawn, High Sheriff of County Armagh, 1669, MP for County Armagh, 1661-66, wedded Magdalene, daughter of Sir Edward Trevor Kt, and had an only daughter, SARAH, married to Sir Robert Hamilton, Knight, of Mount Hamilton, County Armagh.

Sir Hans was knighted in 1661; and created a baronet, 1662.

Sir Hans died suddenly in 1681, when the baronetcy became extinct, but the estates devolved upon Sir Hans's son-in-law,

SIR ROBERT HAMILTON, Knight, of Mount Hamilton, who was appointed Sir Hans's successor as custos rotulorum of the county, and, in 1683, created a baronet.

*****

Louise Duncan from Australia has researched the family:
Of John's (ie John Hamilton of Monilla) family was first Hans. In his youth he was bred at (unclear) Schools; went to the college of Glasgow, in Scotland; was much disposed for learning, and very capable of it, but by his father's death, and the urgency of his affairs, was soon called back again to Ireland.

He attended his affairs carefully and discreetly till the war of Ireland broke out, at which time duty and necessity obliged him to give his assistance therein, by my Lord Claneboy's advice. His years and parts early promoted him to be a captain of horse; as in progress of time he became lieutenant-colonel. He joined, with the Earl of Clanbrassil, in Ormond's Association.


That war being ended, he married Magdalen Trevor, daughter to Sir Edward Trevor, (and sister to Marcus Trevor, 1st Viscount Dungannon) and had by her some children, whereof only his daughter Sarah came to maturity.


His business then being to improve and plant his estate, lying mostly in the upper country; and, by reason of his very good natural and acquired parts, and justice to the King's interest and family, after King Charles II’s restoration, was knighted and made Baronet., and afterwards one of his Majesty's Privy Council in Ireland, and was very much entrusted by the Government in the oversight of the upper country (at Hamilton’s Bawn in County Armagh).


He died of a good age, in great esteem, and generally much bewailed; lies in the tomb with his father, mother, lady, and daughter.


He was guilty of great errors—whereof afterwards, His natural parts and improvements were both very considerable; his deportment, in his younger years, very commendable; but, his estate being much burdened, his disposition to live high and aim to purchase great things, occasioned many to think (as a gent, of his neighbourhood and great acquaintance once said) that.


Sir Hans Hamilton was never so honest as Hans Hamilton by half. He was unfortunate in that his daughter married contrary to his disposition, and the measures he had proposed to himself.


He fell at last in great variance with his nearest friends, and affliction by the death of his lady and daughter; went to Dublin, with design, as it is believed, to do something that was great for his family against his friends, but failed of it, and died in the enterprise, but did not perform it.


THE FORMER army barracks at Hamiltonsbawn, County Armagh, was built in 1731 on the site of a 60-square foot defensive bawn.

This bawn was built with walls twelve feet in height and used lime and stone, with two flankers which had been built as part of the plantation of Ulster by the Scottish settler John Hamilton in 1619.

It is recorded that, by 1622, the bawn was 90 feet in length and 63 feet wide.

Hamilton was responsible for a few dozen families in the area, and was able to arm thirty men as required by his undertaking as part of the Plantation.

The area had been known variously as Monela, Monella, Monilla or Moynellan.

Hamilton's bawn was almost completely destroyed during the 1641 uprising in Ulster, but following the Restoration of CHARLES II in 1660, Sir Hans Hamilton, 1st Baronet, built a three, or possibly five, chimney mansion or manor house on the ruins of the bawn.

The manor house was known locally as "the Castle".

Owing to substantial family debts, the land on which the bawn and house had stood was sold by Sir Hans Hamilton, 2nd Baronet, of Mount Hamilton, in the early 18th century (ca 1704).

By the 1720s it had come into the possession of Sir Arthur Acheson, of Markethill.

First published in April, 2011.  Clanbrassil arms courtesy of European Heraldry.

No comments :