Saturday 22 December 2007

Yuletide Pub Crawl


National Trust staff invited me to join them at the Crown Bar last night for drinks so, having checked train times, I cycled down to the nearest station and took the train to Great Victoria Street. Surprisingly, a return ticket cost a mere £1.50.

Having arrived at the station, I walked across to the Crown which was heaving; I could hardly get through the throng. The NT party was in a snug and I noticed a pile of money on the table, so I threw in a twenty pound note. There were about a dozen of us and we remained there for another two hours till it was suggested that we move on to White's Tavern, off High Street; so we all plodded through the city centre (which was like fairyland with Christmas lights etc) to White's. It was just as busy as the Crown, the bar counter being two or three deep and the place like a rugby scrum!

I was kindly offered a lift home at the end of the evening, ambling down again to fetch my bike.

No comments :