Thursday 17 February 2011

Save Red Squirrels


The Prince of Wales has launched a conservation project which he hopes will realise his dream that red squirrels can thrive again. I am delighted that Prince Charles is lending his support to such an admirable project.

As patron of the Red Squirrel Survival Trust (RSST), Prince Charles praised the partnership between the RSST, Natural England, the Forestry Commission and the Wildlife Trusts.

HRH spoke of his own bid to save a red squirrel at home in Scotland last month:-

"I put nuts in the lobby and leave the door open and the red squirrels come up the steps into the house," he said. "Very often you get four or five running around inside the house, chasing each other to get at the nuts.

"One squirrel was found lying on the floor later on in the afternoon while I was out so we tried desperately to bring it back to life but sadly at the end of the day it died,

"So my effort is to have another small squirrel. My great ambition is to have one in the house, I hate to tell you. Sitting on the breakfast table and on my shoulder!"

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

oh I so HRH gets his squirrel on his shoulder... lol nearest i got was to have a kitten do the same lol J. xx

Timothy Belmont said...

I'm so fond of red squirrels; I share Prince Charles's sentiments.

Anonymous said...

"Very often you get four or five running around inside the house, chasing each other to get at the nuts."

Ah - so our rouyal nuts enjoy playing hide and seek with red squirrels.

Anonymous said...

from the anon spelling is not your forte is it? who is the nut?

Timothy Belmont said...

Are reds prevalent throughout NI or are there specific forests?

Sandy said...

There are certainly hotspots for reds all over NI. HRH does not, however, address the real solution to the problem - culling the greys.
People seem to think saving the reds can be acheived without a cull, which will be, sadly, impossible.
Places like Delamont are alive with greys, and I can't see a council having the cohonas to sort it out.