Saturday 27 January 2024

The School Report

Several years ago I stumbled upon a large brown envelope, full of miscellaneous documents relating to Brackenber House School; and containing my personal Report Book.

This booklet is red in colour.

The first page states: To be returned to the Headmaster at the beginning of each term.

My final Brackenber report was in the Summer Term of 1973, when I was thirteen years old.

I was in Form Five, and the average number of pupils in the form was 15:-

LATIN: "Good progress" (Mr Maguire)

FRENCH: "Good" (Mr McQuoid)

ENGLISH: "His English has improved considerably" (Mr McQuoid)

SCRIPTURE: "Good progress" (TP)

HISTORY: "Not very good" (Mr Craig)

GEOGRAPHY: "Steady improvement" (Mr Maguire)

MATHEMATICS: "He has worked very well this term" (Mr Magowan?)

ALGEBRA/GEOMETRY "Has improved but still gaps in his knowledge of elementary ***

DRAWING: "Some good work" (Mr Cross?)

SCIENCE: "Satisfactory" (Mrs Dunlop)

GENERAL REPORT: "He has made satisfactory progress generally... he did well to pass the Common Entrance considering the great handicap [late starter] he had. He has had a good career here & we wish him well at Campbell" (Mr Craig)

CONDUCT: "Excellent" (Mr Craig)

GAMES: "He made good progress in his game of cricket & proved a fine runner"


Doubtless some of them were being charitable to me.

I was awful at Maths, geography and history.

As Mr Craig, said, though, I was a very good sprinter and promising athlete.

First published in November, 2009.

4 comments :

Stephen said...

Well, as recent events have shown, maths ability is not a prerequisite for the financial business.

Looking back, I love the feedback "Satisfactory", it implies the teacher has no idea who you are.

My favourite write-up from when I went to Regent House (about P5) was "Stephen paints boldly"- i.e. like an explosion in a paint factory.

Andrew said...

I can't believe you were bad at history Tim
given what you've achieved with this blog.

Timothy Belmont said...

I know, Andrew. I really only became fascinated with heritage when I left school.

Andrew said...

You flourished in spite of Mr Craig, although he encouraged your athleticism !