Sunday 14 June 2020

Hare's Gap Trek

The Hare's Gap in the distance
Why do some people dump litter? I'm a great believer in the Leave No Trace principle. You'd hardly know I'd been.

I even get irritated if, in a gale or gust, a tissue or plastic wrapper inadvertently blows away from me.

Plastic bottles seem to be among the worst offenders. They weigh so little when they're empty. Their owners might as well carry them home.

On Sunday, the 13th June, 2020, I went on another mini-hike, this time to the Hare's Gap in the Mourne Mountains, County Down.


I suppose Bryansford is the nearest village. Trassey Road leads you to a small car-park, though it was completely full at 10am, and lots of cars were parked along the narrow verge.

Trassey Track, as it's known, leads directly to the famous Hare's Gap, a kind of col nestled between Slieve Bearnagh and Slievenaglogh.


At this time of year Foxgloves proliferate the Mournes; such beautiful wild flowers they are.

The track follows the Trassey River for part of the way.


It's a fairly gentle ascent, by Mourne standards, and takes perhaps an hour or so.

The Mourne Wall at Hare's Gap

The scenery is magnificent on a clear day, and the col at the top is a good place to have a snack and enjoy the prospect.

The old Raichle boots have served me well during their twenty-five or more years.


I descended along a path that skirts Slieve Meelmore for some distance, before joining the track itself.

Later on I drove through Bryansford and into Newcastle, where I found a parking space at the top of King Street.

King Street is an interesting road. It leads to the former gate lodge of Donard Lodge, and what appears to be a former walled garden (now developed inside).

There are some handsome and admirable villas in King Street.


Having parked I strolled in a triangular route between the old gate lodge, the harbour, and the old parish church (on the 'rock').

The church was closed, though the Annesley arms adorn its main entrance.

The former Annesley estate office and hall are here, on the promenade.

No comments :