Monday 29 July 2024

Slieve Binnian

Slieve Binnian (Green Collection/NMNI)

SLIEVE BINNIAN, a mountain summit near the centre of the great Mourne Mountains, County Down.

It is situated three miles south-south-west of Slieve Donard, and 4½ north by east of Kilkeel; and has an altitude above sea-level of 2,451 feet, making it the third highest peak in the Mournes.

On Sunday, 28th July, 2024, I drove from home to Carrick Little car park, at the main road, put on my hiking-boots, and began a hike to Slieve Binnian.

Shortly after I'd begun the hike I came to Carrick Little cottage café and glamping site, Head Road, where many vehicles were parked.

The farm track leads gently upwards for almost a mile, until it reaches a sturdy metal gate.

Beyond the gate, and to the right, is Annalong Wood, a picturesque grove popular with campers.

My trek took me adjacent to the wood, and gradually upwards.

Prospect of Blue Lough (Timothy Ferres, 2024)

Along this old quarry road little Blue Lough emerges to the right.

The rocky track continues for another half-mile, and narrows; where at this point we veer leftwards, and the route becomes steeper and more strenuous.

During this ascent there are splendid views of Ben Crom Reservoir.

Ben Crom Reservoir (Timothy Ferres, 2024)

Passing the North Tor, I followed a path on fairly level ground for some distance, towards the iconic Mourne Wall.

I lunched at the location of two old fence posts, a crag between Summit Tor and South Tor.

The Mourne Wall's boundary traverses Slieve Binnian here: two rusty old fence posts still penetrate the craggy rock on the line of the Mourne Wall.

From here one can see Silent Valley reservoir and its grounds on a clear day; indeed there were some fluffy clouds floating past me.


This is the very location (video clip above) where I unpacked the contents of my rucksack; namely, my venison burger, roll, onions and chutney.

I have a little single-burner stove and a small frying-pan; the exposed summit and high wind made it tricky to cook the food properly, and it took what seemed an eternity to fry the burger.

It was, however, worth the effort. Everything tastes better when you're outdoors with a hearty appetite!

I thereafter made my descent skirting the Mourne Wall, eventually rejoining the quarry track at Carrick Little.


The last time I hiked Binnian must have been a few decades ago, and I really wanted to pay it another visit while I'm still fit and able-bodied.

No comments :