Friday 14 August 2009

BBC Ulster Hall Concert

I was at another BBC Radio 3 Summer Invitation Concert in the Ulster Hall in Belfast this evening. It was a full house tonight, for a change. I sat in my usual spot, overlooking the stage.

I'd brought my little computer with me, to see if I could obtain a BT Openzone signal: no joy there at all.

The Ulster Orchestra was in great form, playing a range of pieces with a mainly French theme. The soloist was a young Irish pianist called Finghin Collins.

The orchestra had to play what, to my mind, was an absolutely ghastly composition called The Shipyard. It supposedly lasted eight minutes; though it felt more like eighty. One of the clarinetists actually put his fingers in his ears! He must have been too close to the percussionists for comfort, poor chap.

No comments :