Saturday 1 March 2008

Towering Performance By Day-Lewis


Despite the intemperate weather last night I went ahead as planned, and drove to the Odyssey Pavilion, Belfast, to see the film There Will Be Blood.

I'd read the positive reviews about it and, particularly, one of the very best method actors of his generation, Daniel Day-Lewis. The movie was being shown on screen five and I didn't have to queue for a ticket (£5.80). Screen five is one of the larger auditoriums, and it was not even a quarter full. A touch surprising, especially since the film had had such rave reviews.

This was awesome and epic. It lasted three hours 158 minutes, and Daniel Day-Lewis was the only actor I recognized. Day-Lewis portrayed an American oil prospector at the turn of the nineteenth century who was obnoxious, ruthless, mean, cruel and murderous in order to achieve his goals; and woe betide anyone who betrayed him. I don't think I've forgotten too much there! His performances are invariably the most convincing you will ever witness; that's why he scoops up so many awards.

I enjoyed this film, so much so that, when it ended, I checked my watch because I couldn't believe we'd been through two and three-quarter hours! It was, for me, riveting.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I still haven't seen this. Will probably wait until it's at the QFT (which it may be now) as I get reduced member's rate there. The director Paul Thomas Anderson made the film Magnolia several years ago, which I rate very highly indeed and recommend. It's even longer: the full three hours, but worth every minute.

Timothy Belmont said...

You must go & see TWBBlood; unmissable as the beeb expression goes.

Tim