Saturday 10 March 2012

Portavo Day


I have spent most of the day planting trees at the National Trust's new wood beside Portavo reservoir. Thank heaven it was fine and sunny intervals. There were about seven of us.

We managed to get 1,000 saplings planted today; and we erected two bird-boxes on telegraph poles in the middle of the field.
  
Portavo House, the new mansion which has been built on the hill amidst dense woodland, is 12,000 square feet in size; its owners, the Tughan family.


It is impossible to see the house from ground level or, at least, from the main Groomsport-Donaghadee Road.

I called at Jollye's for a sack of nyjer seeds on the way home, which set me back £35. That ought to keep my wild goldfinches happy.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Incredible! I thought we'd lost the art of creating such marvellous classical homes. Hearty congratulations to the family for commissioning it, and to their architect for rising above the usual mediocrity we see in NI. VC