Sunday, 17 January 2021

Ferns Palace

The diocese of Ferns seems to have been established in 598 by St Edan.

During the prelacy of Bishop Grave, who was consecrated in 1600, the see of Leighlin, which had been for some time vacant, was united with Ferns.

His successors continued to be Bishops of Ferns and Leighlin from that period until 1836, when, on the death of the last bishop, Dr Elrington, both sees were annexed to the diocese of Ossory.

The diocese of is one of the five which constitute the ecclesiastical province of Dublin: it comprises a small part of County Wicklow and of Laois, and almost the whole of County Wexford, extending 46 miles in length and 18 in breadth.


THE PALACE, Ferns, County Wexford, was the seat of the Lord Bishop of Ferns and Leighlin until 1836, when the two dioceses were united to that of Ossory.

St Edan's episcopal palace was erected in 1785 by Bishop Cope, who died in 1787.

The building was finished by his successor, Bishop Preston.

This was a large, square, stone edifice, with a late-Georgian staircase in a side hall leading to the top storey.

Image © Linenhall Library, Belfast

It was plundered and seriously damaged during the 1798 rebellion.

In 1834, Bishop Elrington carried out a number of additions to the design of Thomas Alfred Cobden, probably including the porch with its four Doric pilasters.

St Edan's was severely damaged in 1960 and finally demolished in 1976.

First published in December, 2015.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

This house was not occupied by any Bishops of Ferns.