Saturday 5 February 2022

Brackenber Dinner 2022

How marvellous to be able to attend the annual BRACKENBER HOUSE SCHOOL dinner again.

Our last winter dinner at the Ulster Reform Club occurred on the 7th February, 2020.

We were unable to have our winter dinner in 2021 due to the "Covid" pandemic.

Accordingly I donned the glad rags, spruced myself up, and motored into town, specifically to North Street at its junction with Rosemary Street, where I found a parking space.

On entering the threshold I was greeted by the doorman, who advised me to proceed to the top floor, where the old billiards-room is located.


In 2020 there were 55 of us; whereas this year the complement was closer to 35, I gather.

Several dozen old boys had sent apologies.

Gordon has been endeavouring to get me to speak at the dinner, though so far I've been reluctant to do it.

I've never given a speech in my life!

Still, last night Jeff Dudgeon spoke to us all with great aplomb and fascinated us with reminiscences of his schooldays and career.

The Ulster Reform Club chef worked wonders, once again, by cooking the three-course meal comprising a starter of Red Tail Prawns, baked in a roast garlic and Cheddar cream, with crusty bread.


We were then served char-grilled, eight-ounce sirloin steak with Bordelaise sauce, mashed potato, carrot, and bowls of French-fried potatoes.

Pudding was apple crumble and vanilla custard.

My table was beside the lectern; to my left, Gordon Harvey, Paul, now the Lord Bew, and Jeff Dudgeon.

To my right: Dermot and the Pierce brothers (I was at school with Michael).

A thousand thanks, as ever, to Gordon Harvey and Don Bannister for organizing the event.

No comments :