Friday 31 July 2009

Store From Hell: Part Two

I motored over to Sainsbury's store at Holywood Exchange this afternoon in order to replenish the Tanqueray gin among other items. You inevitably buy more than you originally intended in these places. Sainsbury's is still a fairly relaxed experience, as far as supermarket shopping goes.

Subsequently I drove on to Tesco's leviathan Knocknagoney store, which I now regret. I've been avoiding it for many months; and I just wish I'd continued the habit. I'm minded to shun it in future.

If you enjoy spending your time in departure lounges at Heathrow or Gatwick airports, Tesco Knocknagoney is the very place for you. I thought it would have improved by now; however, there were two elementary own-label items I sought which weren't on their shelves. I remain to be convinced that this store has a bigger range of groceries than, say, their Connswater branch. From what I can see, a lot of the space is taken up with clothing and white appliances.

It took me five minutes to find a shopping-basket when I arrived. I asked two assistants, only to be told that there were none left where they should have been! Eventually I obtained one from a check-out counter.

Oh, how I hate this place. It is rotten.

2 comments :

Sharon Owens said...

This seems a fascinating blog - I have only begun to read it - but I also do not like huge stores - in case I get lost and have to ask for help in finding the exit - embarrassing for someone of my age.

I discovered your blog when I tried to find some info on the Caledon Woollen Mills where my grandfather once worked. Do you have a link to any info on this topic? Thank-you.

Timothy Belmont said...

Hello Sharon!

You're very welcome and thank you so much for the kind words about my blog.

Someone of your age? I'm 49! Could I ask if your Wednesday column is online, Sharon?

I'm afraid I only have the article about Lord Caledon which, presumably, you have already stumbled upon!

Good to hear from you and do keep in touch,

Tim