Saturday 4 September 2010

Belmont Crown


I had a new crown fitted by my dentist yesterday. Thank heaven that is done, though it cost an arm and a leg! I had it done privately. Is there any major difference between having a crown fitted privately or under the NHS? I was told, somewhat vaguely, that the standard, quality and treatment is superior when it is performed privately - attention to detail, materials used etc. Is this true? How should I know. Are there any dentists out there prepared to provide his lordship with a fair and true account?

I still have a protective contact lens on my right cornea, having had it lasered on Wednesday. Initially it was really rather sore, causing inflammation inside my eyelid; hence the use of anti-inflammatory drops. I'll be glad to have it removed tomorrow.

4 comments :

belfast cabby said...

I would think the standard and quality of the crown itself would be superior. I would hope the dentist would pay the same attention to detail with all his patients not just his private ones

Timothy Belmont said...

Seemingly "private" crowns tend to be closer in match and colour to real teeth; whereas HHS ones are more functional and, say, silver in colour. They wouldn't bother with the aesthetics or cosmetics of it!

belfast cabby said...

Thankfully aesthetics dont bother me to much as i will be needing a crown myself. All i have to do is get over my fear of dentists!

Irishlad said...

Ive had work done by both the NHS and privately and i can say nowadays there's not much difference.20 odd years ago i paid over £6000 privately for crowns and bridges.They were good quality and the dentist spent a lot of time on the work resulting in a superior job, subsequently the teeth lasted up to recently when i had to go NHS for replacements,and,as i've said the NHS depending on the dentist are every bit as good,and cheaper.