Monday 14 March 2011

The Flagpole


His lordship has, regrettably (!) suffered another brainwave: A proper flagpole, with a gold-leaf finial, mounted at an angle with a suitably-sized Union Flag; to be flown on Flag Days; and official mourning periods at half-mast, at Home.

There used to be elegant triple, angled and wall-mounted flagpoles above the porch at Storbrooke House on Massey Avenue, Belfast, latterly the residence of the 5th Lord Dunleath.

Flag Days consist of about a dozen or more occasions per annum. And naturally I shall make one exception: Europe Day, on the 9th May.

11 comments :

Anonymous said...

I presume this is tongue in cheek?

Timothy Belmont said...

Not entirely! :o)

Sharon Owens said...

Oh Lordy - a gold-topped flagpole in Belfast - fame at last, Tim, see you on CNN this Twelfth.

Why not go all out and add two sentry boxes to your front door. I really think you're onto something here. Any ideas how I could achieve world domination as a novelist?

Personally as a lapsed RC (with mental scars from attending a Dublin Gael Scoil in my youth) I have no sense of patriotism whatever. I like the Queen for her neat coats and pretty brooches and lack of spitting but I daren't go out marching on the 12th!!!

Timothy Belmont said...

Told you it was yet another "brainwave"!

I'd only fly it on a dozen days of the year, about once a month.

The Ernes fly the flag at Crom most of the time - perhaps hundreds of day a year! Not that I'd compare Belmont Hall (!) with stately Crom Castle.

Sharon Owens said...

Well, why not fly the flag? It's not illegal. I love vintage bunting - pink polkadots and floral off-cuts - I'm going make some to hang in my garden this summer!!!

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about a 21 gun salute on suitable occasions? Though I think you might get into trouble on that one !

Timothy Belmont said...

What a splendid idea! Would the TA step up to the mark, do you think?

Anonymous said...

How big is your garden?!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you could re-direct a parade, or two, through the demesne?

W.

Sandy said...

Easy on the Tanqueray old boy.

Timothy Belmont said...

I was sober when I wrote the article. ;-)