Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Royal Wedding Coach


The open-topped State Landau in which Their future Royal Highnesses P
rince and Princess William of Wales (or Royal Duke and Duchess) will make their first journey as a married couple (assuming the weather is clement) was built in 1902 for King Edward VII’s coronation, the Daily Telegraph reports.

The Hooper coach-building company took into account the King's large girth when it was constructed, making sure he would be able to get in and out easily and sit in comfort with Queen Alexandra by his side.

It is in regular use by the Queen and other members of the Royal Family, making annual appearances at Royal Ascot and bringing foreign heads of state to Buckingham Palace when they make state visits.

Pulled by four horses, with two postilions, or riders, on the front pair, the carriage took the Prince of Wales to St Paul’s Cathedral on his wedding day in 1981, and was used to take the the newly-wed couple to Buckingham Palace after the ceremony.

The Duke and Duchess of York also used the 1902 State Landau on their wedding day in 1986.

If it rains on April 29, Prince William and Miss Middleton will be taken to Buckingham Palace in the enclosed Glass Coach, which was built in 1881 and is traditionally used by royal brides on their way to their wedding, including Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother; Diana, Princess of Wales; The Princess Royal and the Duchess of York.

The Glass Coach was also used by the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh following their wedding in 1947.

No comments :