Saturday 9 June 2012

Regal Jewels


Catherine Duchess of Cambridge is a quite remarkable young lady. An article in the Richard Kay column tells us that the dazzling earrings she wore at St Paul's Cathedral the other day were mere replicas.

They cost the modest sum of £48.

In fact, they were a very good copy under the description ‘fabulous fakes’ designed by Belinda Hadden, ex-wife of top PR man Abel Hadden.

She was astonished to learn that Kate had worn her creations on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.

Belinda Hadden, who set up little-known Heavenly Necklaces in the 1990s as a hobby when her daughters were small, elaborated: ‘I was at a wedding, so I had no idea Kate had worn my earrings until another client sent me an email asking: “Are they the same as mine?” ’ 

It wasn’t long, however, before the ‘Kate effect’ began to work, with internet chat-rooms abuzz.

Says Belinda, daughter of the late Conservative MP for Gosport and Fareham, Hampshire, Sir Reginald Bennett: ‘Within the next 24 hours, I had sold out. I sold 60 on my website, which is the amount I would usually sell in a whole year.’ 

Belinda, who sources her fakes from India, China and Hatton Garden in London, says: ‘They are made of finest grade cubic zirconia, but what makes them look authentic is the settings they are in.’

No comments :