Sunday 5 March 2023

Sir Charles Brett KBE (1928-2005)

I happened to be in town (viz. Belfast) the other day and, cognisant of the sale at the Linen Hall library's charity bookshop, presently located in College Street, I walked in for a browse.

Damian, as usual, was behind the counter, chatting to a colleague, so I bid them Good Morning and proceeded to browse.

While I was browsing I joined in their conversation now and again: about the imminent closure of their premises in College Street to another - as yet undisclosed - location in the city.

A book by the late Sir Charles Brett KBE caught my eye, an autobiography and also a chronicle of his family's adventures and fortunes over three centuries.

I perused the first page or two, and instinctively knew that I'd find it fascinating.

Sir Charles Brett KBE
(Image: Oxford Dictionary of National Biography)

Sir Charles was a solicitor, and had his office in the family's practice, L'Estrange & Brett, in a fine Georgian terrace of houses in Chichester Street.

I've written a bit about one of the houses.

Charlie Brett was quite a remarkable gentleman of many talents, including his passion for our built heritage (he was a founder member of the Ulster Architectural Heritage Society), journalist, author, and solicitor.

In 1956, Lord Antrim invited him to join the Northern Ireland Committee of the National Trust. 

He was also chairman of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive for five years.

(Timothy Ferres, 2023). Click to enlarge.

His Buildings of Belfast, 1700-1914, was published in 1967; followed by books about the buildings of County Antrim, County Armagh, and north County Down.

Sir Charles Brett's command of the pen and literary prowess were (to my mind) extraordinary.

No comments :