Sunday 16 September 2012

Blackberry Day


I drove to Donaghadee, County Down, today. I lunched at Donaghadee Garden Centre. It definitely wasn't as busy as usual. Why was this?

Have any readers noticed this phenomenon themselves? Is the economic climate a factor? I have no idea.

I fancied the chicken & ham pie with mashed potato and carrot.

I always enjoy the homely grub here, and at its sister garden centre at Bushmills. They are extending the centre again, hence patrons were diverted.

After lunch, I motored the short distance to Portavo reservoir, where I picked a bountiful crop of juicy blackberries; my second batch this week.

Now I must have about half a stone of them in the freezer, for crumbles and sponges.

I walked right round the reservoir. There is a good view of new Portavo House from here. It was muddy in places, so wear wellies.

Lowry's Wood, our new National Trust plantation beside Portavo, is thriving.

No comments :