Monday 30 November 2009

Remove the Big Wheel


The elephantine monstrosity, which still occupies the grounds of Belfast City Hall, has overstayed its welcome and must be re-located somewhere else. I have complained about its siting previously, because I believe that the grounds of the City Hall are singularly inappropriate for such a structure.

The Belfast Titanic Society has, quite correctly, complained about it. The structure obscures - even blocks - the Titanic Memorial in Donegall Square East. The Lord Mayor of Belfast's response yesterday to this criticism was, to my mind, inadequate; speaking of which, how did Councillor Long vote, presuming there has been a debate about the structure's location?

For the Lord Mayor even to suggest that the Titanic Memorial could be re-located is surely an indication as to her thinking on the matter; and where her priorities lie.

I wish the Lord Mayor to make a statement today, saying that the grounds of City Hall are inappropriate for these kinds of structures; and that she will actively lobby for its removal forthwith.

6 comments :

Peregrine's Bird Blog said...

Couldnt agree with you more. it has done its time there. However I suspect the powers that be think it adds to Belfast City's atmosphere

Sharon Owens said...

I agree the wheel isn't very attractive but no doubt the council are aiming for "bums on seats", quite literally.

Anonymous said...

I don't actually mind the 'big wheel' too much, although it is a bit too New Labour. I would, however, be opposed to moving the Titanic Memorial (again!!)

W.

Anonymous said...

Has it got continued planning permission?

It has become a bore.

Anonymous said...

Has it got continued planning permission?

It has become a bore which disfigures the city hall.

Time to go along with the blethering Lady Mayor who likes it.

Timothy Belmont said...

I wonder how popular it really is? Are there crowds queueing for it every day?

I have no objection to the structure itself; it's where it is located that I object to!

Might I add that the planners and others who have granted it planning permission are the same people who are happy and pleased to let some listed buildings of architectural heritage be demolished.