Wednesday 16 June 2010

Salt Island


I have spent most of the day on Salt Island, a property of the National Trust on Strangford Lough near Killyleagh, County Down.

Craig picked three of us up on the boat from Killyleagh Yacht Club and we motored the short distance over to the island. The weather was idyllic.

We were undertaking routine maintenance mainly at the bothy. We lunched in the sun outside the bothy and I had a wholemeal ham and chutney sandwich, washed down with tea!


Swallows have built a nest inside a wooden extension to the left of the bothy and there were several eggs. We also spotted a grey heron and, I think, a pair of ravens.

2 comments :

Peregrine's Bird Blog said...

You should have waved!!! On your bottom photograph if you look just above the corner of the building there is a single tree on the shoreline. This is my view of that tree. http://www.pbase.com/peregrine/image/75002878

In the summer the leaves on the trees blog my view of the bothy.

Timothy Belmont said...

Ha ha! You crossed my mind as I gazed across the sea. The tide comes in and out swiftly, doesn't it?

Craig was able to get the boat round to the jetty this afternoon; earlier we had moored on the other side of the island.

Bothy in pretty good shape, though some folks don't take away their rubbish, or clear up!