Monday 25 July 2011

Grand Merchant of Belfast


Timothy Belmont has arrived at the Merchant Hotel in Belfast for an overnight stay. I have a commodious and well-appointed bedroom on the second floor; and it's in the original Victorian section.

I have been shown the main reception rooms, including a gymnasium and spa-pool on the sixth floor which is at the top and affords a splendid prospect of the city.

I am presently in the Cocktail Bar, which overlooks Waring Street and  boasts a magnificent ceiling and opulent furnishings.

A  gold-coloured Rolls-Royce Phantom is parked within feet of me.

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

Let'a hope the Phantom's driver doesn't scratch, on moving, the Duke's two wheeler which, we're sure, was his mode of transport all the way from Ballymissart.

Timothy Belmont said...

I considered taking the two-seater which, on reflection, seemed ridiculous.

They have a car-park which is available at £15 per night, in cluding concierge services.

Anonymous said...

What's the occasion, Tim - don't you live in Belfast? I must confess we've stayed there also (CS Lewis room if I remember correctly); the cocktail bar is a port of call on evenings in The City.

Enjoy.

W.

Timothy Belmont said...

It's rather a delicate matter, W. I was to be here with a precious lady friend and the booking had been made.

I have my friend to thank.

I can get plenty of material for the blog!

Irishlad said...

My oh my,how the other half live ;)

Timothy Belmont said...

Ha ha! His lordship doesn't make a habit of it. ;-)

Mad Mandy Moans said...

I know the lady who was unable to make the Jazz special at the Merchant Hotel with you and she told me she was very sad not to have been able to go.
The poor dear paid for her absence.
I know she has been going through a family crisis. Such is life these days Tim. Shit happens. It's how you deal with it that counts.