Saturday 5 January 2008

Best Chinese Takeaway In East Belfast?


Last Saturday I rang Sam at the Castle Hill Chinese takeaway, 224 Upper Newtownards Road, and ordered number twenty-seven which is Chicken in Beijing Peking sauce with fried rice. It cost seven pounds including delivery.When it arrived about twenty-five minutes later, the chicken was sliced meat on top of the sauce which is healthier than the way I prefer it done: in lightly battered pieces. Still, it was good enough.

Nevertheless, I'm thinking of trying another takeaway for a change and see that there are no less than five at Ballyhackamore; namely, the Mandarin City, which still advertizes an apparently non-existant website and may be the best, however it doesn't deliver to your door; Good Fortune; the Orient; Woco; and Castle Gardens. Have I forgotten any? I've a feeling that Castle Gardens may be the only one that delivers; anyone know? I may well give them a ring later and try something...

For many years my favourite Chinese takeaway was the Knock Garden; sadly it changed hands along with my favourite meals on the menu!

11 comments :

Alan in Belfast (Alan Meban) said...

I'm very partial to the Orient ... the Lemon Chicken is divine. And the Good Fortune is excellent either to sit in or take away (though I irrationally prefer the Orient).

Anonymous said...

Wish I'd phoned the Good fortune tonight! Wonder if the Orient delivers...

Anonymous said...

hmmm Good fortune?? I feel not!

not impressed...

Anonymous said...

the orient do deliver but not on a tuesday

Anonymous said...

Well I got the Beef Steak Peking style from the Good Fortune tonight and it was absolutely delicious....i'm definitely not partial to the Orient. Good Fortune is hard to beat. No corkage for sittin in either - best vaule in Belfast I reckon.

Timothy Belmont said...

Thanks for that. I think it's hard to get a consensus between these rivals!

To be truthful, I still phone up the Castle Hill takeaway on Upper Newtownards Rd.

Tim

Anonymous said...

personally would'nt recommend the good fortune although cheap the manager is horrible and the granny frankly annoying, i hear the staff dont keep the tips either!

John Weir said...

wow! sounds like a bit of a disgruntled staff member there or something. I have been going to the Good Fortune for years and don't have a bad thing to say about it really. Anne (The Granny) could not be a nicer, friendly, wee woman - as for staff not keeping the tips I don't know, but that comment reeks of slander and hear-say by someone with a grudge. Put me in a mood for a Chicken Kung-Po now :)

Anonymous said...

Tonight was my first time in good fortune and to be frank there was nothing good about my fortune. I recieved chilli chicken which came raw! ontop off that when it was returned i recieved no apology from management or any discount,also when we had finished we were rushed out. My gf had sweet and sour which was as bland as could be. overall very disappointed and would recommend booking a table in mandarin city as its certainly worth the wait!!!!!

Liz said...

I'm sure Mandarin city will be ecstatic to have you custom. Are you sure you don't actually work there? Never had a bland Sweet and Sour to be fair. And the Raw chicken thing is hard to believe. You would literally have to forget to put it in the wok or fryer for it to be raw, such is the heat involved in Chinese cooking. I have been going there over ten years and never been poisoned yet.

Rich said...

The Red Peach is also worth a try - freshest, tastiest Chinese I've had in East Belfast, tho I will be giving the Good Fortune a try..