Tuesday 1 January 2008

New Year's Day On The Ards Peninsula


My cousin and her family invited us to their lovely home in the middle of the Ards Peninsula in County Down this afternoon. My cousin's twin sister and her family were also there, so it was good for us all to get together, especially at this time of year.

We all got tucked in to a sumptuous feast including mushroom vol-au-vents, cocktail sausages, sausage rolls, coleslaw, wheaten bread dressed smoked- salmon canapes, egg mayonnaise, sandwiches with various fillings, chocolate roulade with cream, mince pies and brandy butter, and fresh coffee. I've a feeling I had a lot of everything! I remained a teetotaller for the evening as I was driving.

We all retired to the living-room afterwards and, relaxing by the fire, watched some classic Morecambe and Wise and a game of charades (which I'm hopeless at!).

My cousin (once removed) Michael is a finalist in the 2008 Young Drummer Of The Year competition, our sole contestant representing Northern Ireland. The final is taking place at Leamington Spa, Warwickshire on 3rd February, so I'll be keeping a keen eye on that.

It was a hugely pleasurable evening; the perfect way to finish the Christmas holidays. I treated myself to a Rusty Nail when I got home.

No comments :